What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Israel Folau signs $2 million deal

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Gee big loss for the Storm, i can see them struggle this yr being torn apart like this. 500k a year for a centre????? you can tell Bennett had nothing to do with neogations, who will the Bronc's cut to fit him under the cap????

It seems a lot of money for a prospect with ONE good season under his belt. I certainly couldn't begin to put him in the same class as centres like Gasnier, Hodges and Inglis. Time may prove me wrong, but he's got a lot of improving to do.

Razor

Coach
So much for the Broncos never signing anyone.

In the last few years they've signed

1. Joel Clinton
2. Michael Ennis
3. Ben Hannant
4. Tom Hewitt
5. PJ Marsh
6. Shane Perry
7. Ashton Sims
8. Peter Wallace

And that's just their 25 man squad. They've signed lower graders up as well - Ashton's younger brother for example. It's also not including the 2 players who left the club, then came back.

stuh

Juniors
If they have signed him, I seriously dout they would be paying a centre 500k a year when they're already pretty solid in the centres.

Mr Saab

Referee
They might have bought some players, but only Marsh & Clinton have played rep football.
The rest were unwanted @ their clubs or really underpeforming (Simms)

Serc

First Grade
:lol: $500k for a centre - what a waste of money if so! Broncos could've bought 2 good backline players for the same $$$...

Big Pete

Referee
The courier mail are reporting it as 1.6Million, even then I have my doubts.

Not entirely delighted by the signing as Folau still needs to prve himself IMO.

Dutchy

Immortal
Big Pete said:
The courier mail are reporting it as 1.6Million, even then I have my doubts.

Not entirely delighted by the signing as Folau still needs to prve himself IMO.

Better off making your assessment after 23 season rounds and a SOO series.

DeeGan

Bench
Wow ... family played a big part in his decision, I can't blame him for returning home especially on that money :)

A club backline featuring Hunt, Folau, Hodges, Lockyer with an emerging Wallace - awesome.

lsta5838

Juniors
Yeah, check this side out..
1. Hunt
2. Robinson
3. Falou
4. Hodges
5. Boyd
6. Lockyer
7. Wallace
8. Clinton
9. Ennis
10. Thiaday
11. Simms
12. Taylor
13. Eastwood

14. Marsh
15. Stagg
16. Parker
17. Hannett

parra pete

Referee
The beginning of the end for Rugby League in Melbourne. The rich get rich, the poor get poorer.
Watch for Craig Bellamy to follow suit, with Henjak caretaker coach in 2009..

JW

Coach
I find it very hard to believe that he'll be on a 2 mill deal for 4 years. He would be commanding one of, if not the highest salary in the comp, and upstaging an experienced centre on the other side of the field who ranks amongst the best in the world. It'd also be a substantial amount above what Melbourne offered.

To me it just seems like the usual inflated figures the media throw up. Already there's reports of 1.5-1.6 million from other outlets.

Nevertheless, its fair dinkum, then it's way too much IMO. He'd better be bloody worth it.

stuh

Juniors
lsta5838 said:
Yeah, check this side out..
1. Hunt
2. Robinson
3. Falou
4. Hodges
5. Boyd
6. Lockyer
7. Wallace
8. Clinton
9. Ennis
10. Thiaday
11. Simms
12. Taylor
13. Eastwood

14. Marsh
15. Stagg
16. Parker
17. Hannett

They'd play Steve Michaels on the wing, not Robinson and Corey Parker is an 80 minute player and goal kicker, they wouldn't start Taylor before him. And personally I hope Clinton disappears like the ball does from his grasp. I'd have Hannant over him any day.

DeeGan

Bench
parra pete said:
The beginning of the end for Rugby League in Melbourne. The rich get rich, the poor get poorer.
Watch for Craig Bellamy to follow suit, with Henjak caretaker coach in 2009..

Agreed.

The Bellamy signing has been on the cards for a while now IMO.

renouf

Juniors
Not good for Melbourne... but really does anyone down there actually care about the Storm? The AFL people will never follow the storm, so why would great players want to play for a club that isn't really supported by the community