What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Israel Folau signs $2 million deal

renouf

Juniors
Most of the QLD juniors who play for Melbourne would rather play for Brisbane simply because it's a rugby league town and they actually support the game. Melbourne is AFL and always will be. Most of the players down there probably feel alienated walking among the general public. Half of those dimwits down there don't even know rugby league exists. If the Sydney people can embrace the Swans then why can't the Melbourne people embrace the Storm?

Melbourne have produced some great players over the last few seasons, so they are doing something for the game, but it's a lost cause.

Well if he has signed there better be a sh!tload of players leaving the joint otherwise they are truly rorting the salary cap!

Who's off contract at the Broncos this year?

Karmawave

Bench
Tremendous loss for Melbourne, and a real kick in the guts to a team that the NRL really needs to succeed.

Good luck to him, but even though I knew he was gone to Brisbane, it would have been great if he had changed his mind at the last minute and stayed in Melb.

Mr Saab

Referee
Dragon Slayer said:
Well if he has signed there better be a sh!tload of players leaving the joint otherwise they are truly rorting the salary cap!

Who's off contract at the Broncos this year?

Short memory? Broncos lost in 2007

Tate
Berrgian
Petero
Thorn

Carrolls last yr in 2008

Copa

Bench
renouf said:
Yes. Do you live in Sydney mate? I do, and I know quite a few people who follow a Sydney clubs and aren't season ticket holders and rarely go to the games.
so they offer no value at all... and the sponsors realise this... which is why sponsorship levels of some sydney clubs are lower than the Storms.

KniGhTs BaTTLeR

Juniors
They would have picked Wallace up for dirt cheap. Sims might have cost a bit and Clinton I'd say wouldn't have cost much because he was in such sh*t form, PJ Marsh wouldn't be cheap and then there was that Hewitt fella . Then they re-sign Parker who is a QLD rept. I still can't see how they can afford Folau with Lockyer, Hodges, Hunt and Thaiday in the side. I smell a rort.

joshreading

Staff member
renouf said:
Most of the QLD juniors who play for Melbourne would rather play for Brisbane simply because it's a rugby league town and they actually support the game. Melbourne is AFL and always will be. Most of the players down there probably feel alienated walking among the general public.

... but it's a lost cause.

The ignorance on this board is riduculous at times - actually one of the key attractions for many players in going to the Storm has been the chance to step a little out of the limelight at all times. HOWEVER the reality is that is changing, crowds are growing. Season tickets are THIRD BIGGEST in the NRL. oh... "I know plenty of fans that don't go to games etc..." we hear BUT WHO PAYS THE BILLS??? And the Leagues clubs can't be depended on now.

Once the Storm make the move to the new Stadium we will be profitable and most of the Sydney Clubs that have been around for many years will still be on the brink.

The death riding that goes on here is stupid - we need to try and keep every team that is in the comp AND see the introduction of new teams.

The Storm already have some key players coming through and now that we have room I think you will find we will also keep some key players we thought we might lose.

I am dissapointed about losing Folau but that is life and we will have new stars come through soon.

For that money, bye bye Issy, don't let the door hit your arse on the way out!
He is a very good player with infinite potential, but as a Melbourne fan, I've seen many players leave for 'greener pastures' only to achieve very little after leaving.
Matt Orford, Kirk Reynoldson... the list goes on.

The one thing that him signing for that sort of money does is make it near impossible for the Broncos to sign Smith and Inglis as people seem to be claiming as inevitable now. Unless Lockyer, Hunt or Hodges leave, they cannot possibly afford them!

Think he may cop a bit on Friday night too

_Johnsy

Referee
steaming stormer said:
For that money, bye bye Issy, don't let the door hit your arse on the way out!

:lol: :lol: :lol: We dont like loosing talented young players do we, thats part of being a success, mind your ass.

look who the broncs go rid of last year, carlaw, tate, berrigan, thorn, petero. thats a fair slice of salary cap. im sure even after this spree we've still got sum left in the kitty.

renouf

Juniors
joshreading said:
The ignorance on this board is riduculous at times - actually one of the key attractions for many players in going to the Storm has been the chance to step a little out of the limelight at all times. HOWEVER the reality is that is changing, crowds are growing. Season tickets are THIRD BIGGEST in the NRL. oh... "I know plenty of fans that don't go to games etc..." we hear BUT WHO PAYS THE BILLS??? And the Leagues clubs can't be depended on now.

Once the Storm make the move to the new Stadium we will be profitable and most of the Sydney Clubs that have been around for many years will still be on the brink.

The death riding that goes on here is stupid - we need to try and keep every team that is in the comp AND see the introduction of new teams.

The Storm already have some key players coming through and now that we have room I think you will find we will also keep some key players we thought we might lose.

I am dissapointed about losing Folau but that is life and we will have new stars come through soon.

I never said we should get rid of the Storm, I just think trying to convert AFL fans over to league is a lost cause. Aslong as they are being fed players from QLD they will always want to go back and this is going to hurt the club. Smith and Inglis are rumored to be leaving aswell, that won't do the club any good.

JW

Coach
KniGhTs BaTTLeR said:
They would have picked Wallace up for dirt cheap. Sims might have cost a bit and Clinton I'd say wouldn't have cost much because he was in such sh*t form, PJ Marsh wouldn't be cheap and then there was that Hewitt fella . Then they re-sign Parker who is a QLD rept. I still can't see how they can afford Folau with Lockyer, Hodges, Hunt and Thaiday in the side. I smell a rort.

Stop dribbling.

They lost Thorn, Berrigan, Tate, Civoniceva, Carlaw at the end of last year. Carroll at the end of this year. All Queensland and International representitives. And the year's player movements haven't even finished yet.

Dani

Immortal
Glory be Lockyer said:
even is u didnt say we should get rid of he storm, i do believe we should, victorians dont deserve a taste of this great game.

Care to explain why?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
The Bronc's lost a lot of players last yr but they would have had to give upgraded deals to Hodge's,Hunt,Parker and Taylor. Plus they signed Marsh,Clinton,Wallace and Sims. It will be interesting to see who the Bronc's let go.

_Johnsy said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: We dont like loosing talented young players do we, thats part of being a success, mind your ass.

Not when the club signed him as a 14/15 year old, developed him into the player he is, and then get shafted after 2 years, no I don't. However, for the money he has allegedly signed for, off he can go. He is a centre, and no successful side is built around a centre. The bulk of the money needs to go on the spine, and we have 3 crucial players to try and sew up long term that are more important to the side than Issy. Namely Slater, Smith and GI. I'd say Dallas too, but he'll re-sign early this week now we know what's going on with Falou.

Would you be throwing that sort of money at a centre Johnsy?

hellteam

First Grade
big boppa eel said:
What a joke, for a churchie he is a greedy little bugger.

you're kidding arent you. what a stupid comment. im sure youd do the best you could for your family as well if you could. good on him