What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Israel Folau signs $2 million deal

Brycey

Juniors
Nightward said:
I dunno, man. Mick Ennis is a gun player and during '06 was doing some incredible work. He got cruelle out with a knee injury late, and in '07 he had to play halfback. Then he got injured again. For me, the best part of last Friday night was seeing the poor sod get a try; after his run of luck, he deserves some rewards. Although I realise this is probably blasphemy, I don't want Smith up here. Ennis is a very smart player, and he really knows his stuff. If he can stay injury-free, he'll rival, if not exceed, the best in the business at Hooker.

I think they bought PJ Marsh to fill Berrigan's boots as a floating replacement and/or insurance against injuries to Ennis.

Hunt- Broncos Junior.
Hodges- Broncos Junior.
Lockyer- Broncos Junior.

Queensland Cup is structured differently to that of New South Wales, and the Broncos' relationship with the teams is different.

Hindmarsh is, I believe, from WeeWaa, which is hard to accept as part of Sydney. I don't think people would whinge too much if he was described as having come through Paramatta's development system, but feel free to bitch on.

As opposed to what, the Roosters?

Yes, flawless argument. It's not as though they buy rather than develop players.

Oh, wait.
Mate coming to a club at 16 is not a junior, the cases in Hodges and Lockyer. I'll give you Hunt. It doesnt matter about the structure, Newcastle is structured different to the rest of NSWRL yet it has a strong local juniors policy.

Of course we only buy players...Mick Crocker, Anthony Minichello, Chris Flannery, Ryan Cross, Luke Ricketson, Bryan Fletcher. All rep players developed by Roosters :cool:

Teela

Juniors
Brycey said:
North Logan??? You call Waterford north Logan? Its down the road from Gold Coast turf.

Hunt has lived more of his life in NZ than he has Aus

As far as I know Folau's from Marsden not Waterford, maybe not north Logan but still Closer to Brisbane than the Gold Coast.

And hunt may have lived more of his life in NZ but he's played more football here.;-)

melbourne_belle

Juniors
nawww brycey we have an excuse for poaching players we are a young club with next to no juniors, hmm last time I checked aren't you guys the oldest?
Micky C is working out ok, better than when he was with you guys. How was Kidwell for you guys? I think someones club couldn't keep a leash on its players.

Who have Brisbane actually poached? not Issy, he wanted to go back to Brisbane. I am a Storm fan I should be pissed but in all reality he wasn't poached.

Brisbane are just taking advantage of what they have and developing the majority of their players. Developing being the key word.

BTW hows your team going to go this week? Bit worried they might forget they aren't Dogs anymore?

Brycey

Juniors
Teela said:
As far as I know Folau's from Marsden not Waterford, maybe not north Logan but still Closer to Brisbane than the Gold Coast.

And hunt may have lived more of his life in NZ but he's played more football here.;-)
Than you dont know, he lived in Waterford but went to Marsden High, which is in Waterford. Even if he was from Marsden, which is the next suburb along, it is still closer to GC than it is Brisbane.

Brycey

Juniors
melbourne_belle said:
nawww brycey we have an excuse for poaching players we are a young club with next to no juniors, hmm last time I checked aren't you guys the oldest?
Micky C is working out ok, better than when he was with you guys. How was Kidwell for you guys? I think someones club couldn't keep a leash on its players.

Who have Brisbane actually poached? not Issy, he wanted to go back to Brisbane. I am a Storm fan I should be pissed but in all reality he wasn't poached.

Brisbane are just taking advantage of what they have and developing the majority of their players. Developing being the key word.

BTW hows your team going to go this week? Bit worried they might forget they aren't Dogs anymore?
Melbourne Belle, your history of rugby league astounds me, maybe if you read past 1908 and skip a few chapters to the 50s when our boundaries were taken away by the NSWRL and given to Souths under direction of SG Ball, who so happened to also be on the Rabbitohs board as well. Skip to the 1980s and you can read about the dirty backdoor deals done between Souths and some of our junior clubs.

I'm not knocking melbourne, in fact I love watching them win, its good for the game. I'm glad Crocker is going well for you guys and is playing to his potential, something that was a problem with him here. I dont want to point fingers but isnt it a huge coincidence that while he was here under Ricky Stuart he had a lot of dirt in his game, same as Hodges, both have moved on to greener pastures and playing to their full potential. The coincidence being that our team has seemed to have gotten rid of a lot of dirt in its play yet here we see Cronulla (case in point Gallen) resorting to a lot of dirty tactics. Whos coaching the Sharks again?

As for this weekend, I am excited about this game :D

melbourne_belle

Juniors
Bryceymy knowledge on your guys history is very limited. My comments are purely based on my own point of veiw, and your insinuation that Brisbane are worse than you guys regarding junior recruiting etc is IMO soft
Im not hating on the Roosters, if they have the money poach away, because really it goes back to the players weither or not the want to be loyal.
I am however hating on you guys because Braith Anasta is an annoying sissy boy who now thinks he is the man.

RE: Ricky Stuart, thats true the coincidence is to huge to ignore, so I take that back. But still you guys now have Willy and he's a grub lol

Razor

Coach

He came to QLD at about 15 years old, before that he was in NSW.

Folau went to Marsden High. Even though he lived in Marsden(which until recently was about the middle north/south and to the west of Logan - but under the new boundaries it's also to the north) his family lived in South Brisbane in Boronia Heights. He went to Marsden for their League program(the Storm brought him up here and set him up at the school). Marsden are consistently the best high-school League team from SE-QLD in the Aussie Home Loans Cup.

Brycey

Juniors
Razor said:
He came to QLD at about 15 years old, before that he was in NSW.

Folau went to Marsden High. Even though he lived in Marsden(which until recently was about the middle north/south and to the west of Logan - but under the new boundaries it's also to the north) his family lived in South Brisbane in Boronia Heights. He went to Marsden for their League program(the Storm brought him up here and set him up at the school). Marsden are consistently the best high-school League team from SE-QLD in the Aussie Home Loans Cup.
Mate whereabouts in Logan do you live, look at a map next time. Now that amalgamations have happened Marsden is Central-Logan. Before hand it was South-Central in Logan. It was down the road from Beenleigh, GC territory until recently.

And how the hell is Boronia Heights South Brisbane??? Its South-West of Marsden and is next to Browns Plains, which until recently was the western point of Logan.

To put it into perspective prior to amalgamations to get to GC from Marsden you have to go through 3 suburbs (Loganlea, Waterford, Waterford West) while to get to the Sout of Brisbane you would have to go through either Kingston, Logan Central, Woodridge Springwood or alternate route Waterford, Loganlea, Meadowbrook, Daisy Hill, Springwood).

Brycey

Juniors
lotti said:
Logan is about 15 minutes from Beenliegh, well the Hyperdome is.
Logan is a big area, we're talking about Marsden here. And its usually about 10 minutes if you cruise down the m1 going 110 :cool:

Razor

Coach
Brycey said:
Mate whereabouts in Logan do you live, look at a map next time. Now that amalgamations have happened Marsden is Central-Logan. Before hand it was South-Central in Logan. It was down the road from Beenleigh, GC territory until recently.

Marsden has never been down the road from Beenleigh.

It's right next door to Logan Central

To put it into perspective prior to amalgamations to get to GC from Marsden you have to go through 3 suburbs (Loganlea, Waterford, Waterford West) while to get to the Sout of Brisbane you would have to go through either Kingston, Logan Central, Woodridge Springwood or alternate route Waterford, Loganlea, Meadowbrook, Daisy Hill, Springwood).

Which way do you drive?

To get from Gold Coast to Brisbaen - Quickest way (old boundaries) were Loganholme->Springwood-Rochedale South; all along the freeway.

Razor

Coach
Logan is about 15 minutes from Beenliegh, well the Hyperdome is

Beenleigh is now part of Logan, but before that, from the south of Logan it took 4-5 minutes to get to Beenleigh.

And the Hyperdome was very much towards the south of Logan, about 1 minute to get the very south. So 5-6 minutes from Beenleigh.

Brycey

Juniors
Razor said:
Marsden has never been down the road from Beenleigh.

It's right next door to Logan Central

Which way do you drive?

To get from Gold Coast to Brisbaen - Quickest way (old boundaries) were Loganholme->Springwood-Rochedale South; all along the freeway.
You get onto Kingston Road and 10 minutes later youre in Beenleigh.

Not talking about getting from Gold Coast to Brisbane, I am talking about getting to GC (old boundaries) from Marsden and comparing it to getting to Brisbane territory from Marsden.

cronker

Juniors
Back on topic, my thoughts are that until Melbourne source some homegrown players, we are going to lose quality players back to their homeland for a long time.

Good luck to Israel.

Latest posts