What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Israel Folau signs $2 million deal

Nightward

Juniors
The thing is, with QLD's catchment area they shouldnt have to sign any big name players.

People whinge about the Roosters, these guys have a huge catchment area yet have to go and buy ready-made rep players or promising players.

Plus the fact that the majority of their juniors they develop arent even from Brisbane in the first place, they're up there with the Roosters when it comes to LOCAL development.

Yep.

Beacause as we know, every player in Queensland signs with the Broncos, first time, every time.

None of them ever go South.

At all.

Ever.

As far as your "local" argument goes which I take to mean "playing for Brisbane in Queensland Cup" you may be interested to know that Brisbane doesn't field a QLD Cup team, which means that potential NRL players the Broncos draw from are typically spread over a number of teams, but travel to Red Hill for extra training.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Brycey said:
The thing is, with QLD's catchment area they shouldnt have to sign any big name players.

People whinge about the Roosters, these guys have a huge catchment area yet have to go and buy ready-made rep players or promising players.

Plus the fact that the majority of their juniors they develop arent even from Brisbane in the first place, they're up there with the Roosters when it comes to LOCAL development.

At least we have SOME local juniors..come on name 5 Roosters juniors playing for you guys!

lockyno1

Post Whore
Mr Angry said:
Over priced.

If it was Inglis...............

As good as Inglis is..there is a bloke at 5/8 at Brisbane that is pretty decent..and hunt is a decent replacement post Lockyer at 5/8!

JW

Coach
Stewie Griffin said:
I knew that he would not be that expensive. I would have thought 300k -350k max.

All speculation of course, but that may be the range. In my opinion closer to 300, assuming that the gap between Folau and Hodges would be reasonable. Some have suggested it may be a bit less than 300.

All that we know for sure is that its much less than 400 grand a season which, given reports of a 4-year/$2M deal through various media outlets today and yesterday, is good enough me and my sanity, lol.

Brycey

Juniors
Nightward said:
Yep.

Beacause as we know, every player in Queensland signs with the Broncos, first time, every time.

None of them ever go South.

At all.

Ever.

As far as your "local" argument goes which I take to mean "playing for Brisbane in Queensland Cup" you may be interested to know that Brisbane doesn't field a QLD Cup team, which means that potential NRL players the Broncos draw from are typically spread over a number of teams, but travel to Red Hill for extra training.
When I say LOCAL I mean players within the greater Brisbane metro area. Even the great D.Lockyer isnt a Brisbane local. Folau comes comes from Logan, Webke out west, truth be told not many Brisbane players come from Brisbane

Brycey

Juniors
lockyno1 said:
At least we have SOME local juniors..come on name 5 Roosters juniors playing for you guys!
Congratulations, for 8 years you had an entire state to yourself, had the majoirty of it for the next 11 and now still have the majority of it. You've always had the entire city of Brisbane yet you can only handle a few true local juniors. Congratulations

Even in the restricted areas we have half our turf was stolen, Roosters may have little locals, but we do more than our fair share to make sure we still develop young players even if it is outside our boundaries.

Nightward

Juniors
When I say LOCAL I mean players within the greater Brisbane metro area. Even the great D.Lockyer isnt a Brisbane local. Folau comes comes from Logan, Webke out west, truth be told not many Brisbane players come from Brisbane

Because the Brisbane area doesn't field a Queensland Cup team, genius.

You want to progress to NRL level in Queensland, you play Queensland Cup first. Even the closest Queensland Cup side to Brisbane is Wynnum/Manly.

The Broncos do plenty to cultivate players in the Queensland Cup.

For future reference, please note that Queensland and New South Wales have quite different junior progression systems and second-tier competitions.

Brycey

Juniors
Nightward said:
Because the Brisbane area doesn't field a Queensland Cup team, genius.

You want to progress to NRL level in Queensland, you play Queensland Cup first. Even the closest Queensland Cup side to Brisbane is Wynnum/Manly.

The Broncos do plenty to cultivate players in the Queensland Cup.

For future reference, please note that Queensland and New South Wales have quite different junior progression systems and second-tier competitions.
lol you have nfi
do you. First of all I am more than aware of the junior set up. 2nd of all Manly-Wynnum only Brisbane team....what about Easts Tigers, or Souths-Logan. What a douche.

At the end of the day, no matter what way you progress to NRL level, the Broncos have more non-Brisbaners playing for them then they do Brisbaners. You can cry about the QLD Cup progression all you want, there are no 2 ways about it, they prefer to sign players from out of Brisbane.

pepe

Juniors
being a storm supporter i'm disappointed but expected he'd return home and who can blame him for that sort of money.
izzy is a fine player but to put him the superstar bracket is way premature,he's a big lump of a kid but there are heaps of big kids running around in the under 20's comp who may well prove a better player in the long run.

pepe

Nightward

Juniors
lol you have nfi
do you. First of all I am more than aware of the junior set up. 2nd of all Manly-Wynnum only Brisbane team....what about Easts Tigers, or Souths-Logan. What a douche.

And yet, oddly enough, all you do there is cnfirm what I've already said; there is no Brisbane team in the Queensland Cup.

Congratulations on cherry-picking an argument; you have sucessfully demonstrated why there are no "Brisbane Juniors" playing for the Broncos, yet you simultaneously castigate them for it.

Flawless victory. My hat goes off to you :roll:

Brycey

Juniors
What the hell, there are plenty of teams within Brisbane playing in the QLD Cup. Are you that geniused?

Nightward

Juniors
What the hell, there are plenty of teams within Brisbane playing in the QLD Cup. Are you that geniused?

So which is it, then? Are they Broncos and Brisbane juniors, or not?

For example, the Broncos had a long-standing association with the the Toowoomba Clydsedales, and sent their juniors up there to play Queensland Cup. You remember Ben Czilowski (sp?)? He was School Captain at my high school (Runcorn State High) and lived in the Brisbane area. Is he a Toowoomba junior because of the team, or a Brisbane junior because he was developed by the Broncos?

Same for the Aspley Broncos last year. Broncos development squad, or not?

What about the Wynum/Manly, Logan, Central Comets- all with extensive links to the Broncos and used as nurseries via the Queensland Cup, with members hailing from outside those regions?

But hey, keep flailing. I mean, the Roosters have such a fantastic reputation for developing local players. Right?

Brycey

Juniors
Nightward if they originated from Brisbane than they are Brisbane juniors, if they didn't then they are not Brisbane juniors. Example, Lockyer comes from Roma, therefore is a Roma junior. ffs

Big Pete

Referee
Got to love the usual whinge from opposition supporters.

Yes the Broncos have a high catchment of juniors however that doesn't stop other clubs from recruiting. If you take a look at the last two succesful clubs in the Storm and the Roosters you'd be interested to know that they recruited a fair amount of their players from QLD. All it takes is a little initiative from your club.

Brycey

Juniors
Really Pete, I was not aware that my club recruited QLDers. <end sarcasm>

What I am saying is, Roosters cop a lot of flack for our recruitment policies yet here we have a club with a huge catchment area who not only signs established players but also has a proven track record of having difficulty signing players within their own city.

Compare that with the Roosters who have to share not only a city amongst 9 over clubs, but also our inner city territory, I think we can see who the lesser of the 2 evils are.

Nightward

Juniors
You are aware that every Sydney club either has Queensland-developed juniors on their roster or has agressively pursued their signature in the recent past, right?

Maybe you can remember the reason Queensland fired up so much in their first Origin game?

Maybe you've noticed the difficulty the Broncos have in retaining their juniors in the face of offers from Sydney? To whit, one Justin Hodges?

Brycey

Juniors
You mean the Cairns born and raised Justin Hodges, that one. Oh yes him, which suburb of Brisbane does he come from again?

Nightward

Juniors
You mean the Cairns born and raised Justin Hodges, that one. Oh yes him, which suburb of Brisbane does he come from again?

He came through the Brisbane junior and development system.

And he was still a Queensland junior who went south. There are more. His name just sprang to mind. Probably something to do with your avtar, hey?