What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Israel Folau turns down rugby union offer ...

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Israel Folau turns down rugby union offer

STATHI PAXINOS

May 30, 2010 - 6:55PM
EXCLUSIVE

THE race for Israel Folau's signature has become a battle between two football codes after the NRL superstar today turned down a massive offer to turn to rugby union.

Folau had been the centre of a three-way tug of way for his services next year with the 21-year-old fielding mega-dollar deals from the Melbourne Rebels, which will join an expanded Super rugby competition as its 15th team next year, and AFL's Greater Western Sydney. His NRL club Brisbane had also recently countered with an improved offer to keep him in rugby league.

However, Rebels acting chief executive Pat Wilson confirmed that he had been told by Folau's management that he would not be joining the club.
"I'm not sure if he's come to a final decision (as to where he will go) but he's not coming to Melbourne," Wilson said.
GWS chief executive Dale Holmes and coach Kevin Sheedy would not comment on today's development.

After a slow start to the season, which was also hampered by injury, Folau has been finding a rich vein of form in recent weeks and played well for Queensland in the Maroons' 28-24 win over NSW in the State Of Origin series opener last Wednesday night.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...rns-down-rugby-union-offer-20100529-wmc0.html

Didgi

I would really doubt he goes to AFL over league.

His potential reasoning was he is good mates with Hunt. This is clearly a lie, as cutie doesn't have any friends.

I would really doubt he goes to AFL over league.

His potential reasoning was he is good mates with Hunt. This is clearly a lie, as cutie doesn't have any friends.

lol. THIS is the reason why I check on here so much. Breaking news.

Anyway, we were watching "I love you, man" and it was funny, and this joke is definately as funny.

I dont know cutie as a person tho. none of us do. great joke nonetheless

He is staying at the Broncos

I think he will.

Its like a commentator said on sky the other day: that if he stays he can look forward to a high end contract under new salary cap rules in the not to distant future. If he likes league so much, taking big money options may not be such a lure after all.

I have a feeling he will stay with the Broncs..

I have a feeling that he went past his dead line because he wanted a brand new contract with the broncos [at the very least]. This was his manager (IMOH) providing him with the best way forward. Hey, you got to put out a few noses if you are ever going to make it, right!? (right) The offers from other codes may have been surprising to him, or it may be what he was looking for. Who knows. It was a smart move either way by him and his manager.

This is what they pay these guys for: options in negotiation for all manner of things, and more money. What better way to put yourself out on the free market so to speak?

Still he could move to AFL but I do not think its his preference. I had thought Union would be, but maybe their offer did not match his expectations. Given the likelihood of my above situation (being between 10% and 90% accurate perhaps) I can see how we have arrived today at this point.

My prediction, I am not so sure Falou is as greedy as hunt and would be as happy by doing a 90 degree turn to AFL and big short term money. I feel he could enjoy as good a life (money and otherwise) by staying in league and waiting for the new tv contract, by which going like he is, he should be in the top 10 in the game easy - by which time league players in the top 10 will be very well paid too.

My experience: character assessment training.

Last edited:

Didgi

Compared to Tahu, 6'1 and 98kg

and Rogers, 5'11 and 87kg

Last edited:

Latest posts