What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Israel Folau?

philstorm

Juniors
Thoughts about the kid after 4 games?

Scoring 7 tries from 4 is no mean feat - particularly for a player in his rookie year.

He's admittedly been 'gifted' a few tries, but his defensive efforts and attacking flair have nonetheless been terrific I feel.

What do others think?

Chance for Origin perhaps?

Pigskin

Juniors
no hope of playing Origin

and even I could score 7 tries in 4 games on the end of the Melbourne attack

scoring tries is really no biggie ... look at Nathan Blacklock ... he couldn't play at all

Oink !

mattyg

Bench
yes he is good...but Origin?? come on...

Israel is a winger, its pretty easy for wingers to score tries. He certaintly doesn't deserve to get the recognition Benji Marshall, Greg Inglis and Sonny Bill Williams got when they first burst on the scene

jimmyo

Juniors
Pigskin said:
no hope of playing Origin

and even I could score 7 tries in 4 games on the end of the Melbourne attack

scoring tries is really no biggie ... look at Nathan Blacklock ... he couldn't play at all

Oink !

And there I was, about to agree with you, and you go and attack a champion....:roll:

Neway J. Hayne from Parra is in the same category here - he gets a good kick or pass and just falls over the line twice a game. Doesn't take much skill to score 1 try- but to be able to score consistently is a real talent. That's how Inglis started out.

It's way too early for this Israel Folau guy to be considered for Origin - he needs at least half season of solid performances before that can happen IMHO.

McLovin

Staff member
Do Melbourne train there juniors from birth or something?? The amount of talent coming through is rediculous...

renouf

Juniors
origin already... you guys are really getting in early with these new players. hes barely played 4 games and had the majority of his tries put on a plate for him... but sh*t yeah hes ready for origin already.

he might even be better then inglis!

Folau is not ready for origin...a lot of tries have been pretty simple and I really want to see what he can do 20 meters out with pace and power ??.

DeeGan

Bench
Origin?

Well if we were back in my league playing days, he would be in the possibles for QLD.

I don't think he would be ready personally, let him ply his trade on the end of the game's best backline for a season or two and then let's talk Origin if he is still consistently good.

p.s. First and last try scorer, thanks Israel, a nice way to end the days punting - I took him as I do Merritt for both betting options and came up trumps ;-)

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
No way, he won't be there unless NSW win the first two games and QLD go into their 'rebuilding with a host of fresh faces' mentality. All he's done is finish off the good work of others so his try scoring doesn't impress me all that much.

His ability under the high ball, tackling and general defensive decision making does impress me though. Against the Warriors he not only scored a couple but saved a couple as well.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
some of his tries, he's only had to stroll over the line and put the ball down

need to see abit more of him to see how good he is

SilverSteeler

Juniors
Definitely not Origin material yet,

He's played well so far though, finishing tries for the Melbourne backline

spider

Coach
MC84 said:
Do Melbourne train there juniors from birth or something?? The amount of talent coming through is rediculous...
what people forget is the mony they have at their disposal - especially to spend on junior talent coming through the ranks

not too mention they would probably not be funding a JRL comp such as some clubs which really adds up the $$$$$

he would have cost them probably about $20k a year (for a few years to keep him) while they watched and developed him in the junior grades

so yes they recruit well - but its more than just a good eye for talent

NK Arsenal

Juniors
Although it's easy for wingers to score, Israel just does it at a great strike rate!

But he is NOT ready for Origin IMO.