What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Israel Folau?

Razor

Coach
Do Melbourne train there juniors from birth or something??

Melbourne only signed Israel in the 2nd half of last year.

He was playing Arrive Alive cup last year for Marsden State High.

Same school that produce Cameron Smith.

steeden.

Juniors
atm I dont think that he's ready for origin.. but then again last year Craig Bellamy said that Inglis wasnt ready and he handled it great. Im just glad I got folau for an absolute bargain for my sportal dream team :D:D

aussies1st

Staff member
Geyer is on the back of the Melbourne backline yet only scored 11 tries in 27 games last year.

Lowdown

Juniors
I laugh when people reckon anyone could score those tries.

Lets have a look what you need to be a winger in this day and age:

1. Raw Speed. Check
2. Good Hands. Check
3. Great positional play. Check
4. Good jumping ability. Triple Check.
5. Ability to find the tryline. Check
6. Must be able to tackle. Check

Must he be able to kick, chase, regather, kick goals, make 30 tackles? N/A

Well - looks like he's covered that off. Next time you guys reckon you could score the tries he scored. Check out the try versus the Warriors where he lept, stole, and scored in one movement, and last night's dash to beat MadDog to score with an outstretched arm in the corner, whilst avoiding going into touch.

He is sensational under the high ball, with an incredible leap. He'd be ready for Origin - if he's good enough to force his way onto the Storm's backline in the NRL, then he's good enough for Origin. Will he get there? Dunno, but he's definately good enough.

Possible team:

1. Inglis
2. Folau
3. Bell
4. Hodges
5. Slater
6. Lockyer
7. Thurston

With Bowen on the bench. Good mix of size, speed, scoring ability and defensive stopping power.

Shorty

Staff member
He's definitely good that's for sure.
Origin;Not yet...give him a year or so he needs to be able to handle more than just catching the ball and scoring.

I doubt he'll struggle doing the rest though.

Must say Titans fans must be pleased,Steve Turner is going to have a real problem pushing himself into the backline with this guy here.

My god Lowdown you're like an obsessed mother with her child!

Storm are setting themselves for a good few years to come...Inglis, Folau, Slater, King, Quinn, Turner...the lists goes on. This backline could become one that the fans will talk about for a long time...

Juniors
if adam mogg could get a run last year based off his regular season form, i think israel is a shoe in, and i think he'll get the nod and knock off benny ikin as the youngest ever origin player

Juniors
and u all talk about his 'winger tries' what else is a winger suppose to do? be a good finisher, and no one is better at the moment

mxlegend99

Referee
Why would Turner have a trouble getting a spot in the Storm backline?

I think he should get one easily:

1. Billy Slater
2. Steve Turner
3. Matt King
4. Anthony Quinn
5. Israel Folau
6. Greg Inglis
7. Cooper Cronk

Looks pretty sweet to me. If you don't want to get rid of Geyer altogether, play him off the bench. He can cover 5/8 and wing, giving you a lot of flexibility in the backline.

Dani

Immortal
Not even close to being ready for Origin imo.

Defensively he really needs to work on his positioning.

rabs

Staff member
in only 4 games I am seeing improvement in his "footballerness", looked awkward a-la Tame Tupou style to me in the first game or two but having seen more of him he does look the goods, be crazy to play him in origin this year though

Shorty

Staff member
mxlegend99 said:
Why would Turner have a trouble getting a spot in the Storm backline?

I think he should get one easily:

1. Billy Slater
2. Steve Turner
3. Matt King
4. Anthony Quinn
5. Israel Folau
6. Greg Inglis
7. Cooper Cronk

Looks pretty sweet to me. If you don't want to get rid of Geyer altogether, play him off the bench. He can cover 5/8 and wing, giving you a lot of flexibility in the backline.
Well it all has to do with where they put Geyer,I agree with that backline I think they would benefit much more.

I doubt they'd get rid of Geyer altogether as he's one of the Storm's veterans.

Meanie

Juniors
Ty Williams is the only real winger QLD can produce at the moment. It's too early for him but who knows, there's been more surprising bolter's added in the past. I can't imagine they're going to stick Inglis on the wing this year.

Big Mick

Referee
1. Karmichal Hunt
2. Brent Tate
3. Greg Inglis
4. Justin Hodges
5. Israel Falou
6. Darren Lockyer
7. Jonothan Thurston

Mr Saab

Referee
_Johnsy said:
not for at least 07 & 08. 2009 maybe

I woudnt go that far.
Inglis was picked in his 2nd yr last yr.
As i said, QLD dont have alot of wingers..true wingers

Pigskin

Juniors
Big Mick © said:
1. Karmichal Hunt
2. Brent Tate
3. Greg Inglis
4. Justin Hodges
5. Israel Falou
6. Darren Lockyer
7. Jonothan Thurston

Folau has a 0% chance of playing Origin this year (too young, maybe later)
Bell has about a 5% chance of playing Origin ever again (not up to Origin - same as Schif - too much dancing, no penetration)
Bowen has about a slim hope of playing Origin again, and only if K's defence improves so that he can move to the front line when Bowen comes on ... Bowen's possible spot on the bench is taken by Berrigan forever ... therefore also needs Smith to get injured

1. K (reserve fullback - Slater)
2. Tate - (reserve 3/4 - Tonga)
3. Inglis
4. Hodges
5. Slater
6. Lockyer
7. Thurston

And, if Ty Williams gets back to his top (had his first game back for the young guns on the weekend), he auto leapfrogs Folau in the pecking order for now

Oink !