What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Issac Luke

yobbo84

First Grade
A lot of players get trumpeted as the 'next big thing' in the media - some warranted, some not. Issac Luke has had a small bit of attention so far in his career, but not nearly as much as you'd expect after watching his career thus far.

I know I'm biased, but dead set this kid is going to be a superstar of our game. He's already probably in the top 5 hookers in the competition, after only 15 games in the NRL.

He is brilliant around the ruck, strong, smashes blokes twice his size, possesses good slight of hand, is quick, can offload, and is developing his kicking game. Also a handy goal kicker. In an absolutely dominated pack on Friday night, he (along with Mick Greenfield) was the standout.

So here's my fearless prediction. By year's end, not only will Luke be the NZ hooker, but he will usurp Robbie Farah as the number 2 hooker in the NRL.

Apey

Staff member
Got him in my fantasy team, which naturally caused me watch him more.

He's a gun, made some great runs on friday night.

mattyg

Bench
:lol: bit bias saying he will be around Farah's level by the end of the year...i agree that he is a great player, and i'm spewing that we let him go - and i think he should be the NZ hooker and even should have been given a run last year but you're taking it too far. Anyway, you don't want him to be under the spotlight anyway. Puts too much pressure on him to perform and they end up getting injured or making stupid mistakes trying to live up to the hype. If i were Luke i'd be happy to be going under the radar to an extent at this stage in his career. No doubt this season he will start to get some recognition though IMO.

yobbo84

First Grade
mattyg said:
:lol: bit bias saying he will be around Farah's level by the end of the year...i agree that he is a great player, and i'm spewing that we let him go - and i think he should be the NZ hooker and even should have been given a run last year but you're taking it too far. Anyway, you don't want him to be under the spotlight anyway. Puts too much pressure on him to perform and they end up getting injured or making stupid mistakes trying to live up to the hype. If i were Luke i'd be happy to be going under the radar to an extent at this stage in his career. No doubt this season he will start to get some recognition though IMO.

That's why it's a fearless prediction. I think Farah possesses a much better passing game, but if Issac continues to develop as he has, I believe he has a better all round game. Ask Cowboys fans what they thought of his performance at ANZ Stadium last year.

Inferno

Coach
top 5 hookers?

Cam Smith
Bedsy
Farrah
Priddis
Riddell

Don't think he will be better than any of them by years end.

That said he is a great young prospect for the Bunnies.

When is he off contract?

yobbo84

First Grade
Inferno said:
top 5 hookers?

Cam Smith
Bedsy
Farrah
Priddis
Faiumu

Don't think he's better than any of them.

That said he is a great young prospect for the Bunnies.

Will all due respect, he sh*ts all over Luke Priddis and David "ball hog" Faiumu. And although it's debatable, I personally think he's better than Buderus. IMO:

Smith
Farah
Luke
Buderus
Payne

Inferno

Coach
sh*ts on Priddis and better than Buderus?

Get your head out of your ass mate.

btw I removed Faiumu and replaced him with Piggy.

Good thing the bunnies have him locked up.

Actually while making that list, I realised there actually is a shortage of really good hookers running around.

yobbo84

First Grade
Inferno said:
sh*ts on Priddis and better than Buderus?

Get your head out of your ass mate.

btw I removed Faiumu and replaced him with Piggy.

Tell me what Priddis or Buderus can do that Issac can't? There are probably 20 blokes in the Souths squad you could put sh*t on and I would agree with you, but Issac is all class.

simostorm

Bench
He's got potential. In the games ive seen him play he's looked like a gun player..

So hopefully he can get souths moving along. Wing will no doubt give him some guidance

in training sessions. And that sort of knowledge at this stage of his career should help him

alot.

Shorty

Staff member
yobbo84 said:
Will all due respect, he sh*ts all over Luke Priddis and David "ball hog" Faiumu.
With all due respect he does not at all.
And man,you actually need to pay attention to what Fauimu does because his ball hogging is what is intended.
He dummies and creates things from dummy half,Luke may be good but that's what Fauimu is meant to do for Cows.

Don't get me wrong,Luke has been impressive but come to your senses....better than Buderus and Payne?
That's cocky,and it's not even warranted.

yobbo84

First Grade
Shorty said:
With all due respect he does not at all.
And man,you actually need to pay attention to what Fauimu does because his ball hogging is what is intended.
He dummies and creates things from dummy half.

Don't get me wrong,Luke has been impressive but come to your senses....better than Buderus and Payne?
That's cocky,and it's not even warranted.

As I said, it's debatable about Buderus because he's been such a great player for a long time. But Faiumu? Please. The bloke has terrible hands, throws hospital passes and only does anything good when he hogs the ball. As for Payne, he and Issac are probably about the same at the moment, although Issac has much greater potential.

shiznit

Coach
i just hope the kid stays fit.... i agree hes a massive talent. the thing i like the most about him is his fotball smarts... he seems to take good options...

my biggest worry with him is his size... hes brave as hell... but so is Benji Marshall... from what ive seen they both look similar in size too...

Shorty

Staff member
yobbo84 said:
As I said, it's debatable about Buderus because he's been such a great player for a long time. But Faiumu? Please. The bloke has terrible hands, throws hospital passes and only does anything good when he hogs the ball. As for Payne, he and Issac are probably about the same at the moment, although Issac has much greater potential.
I like what Faiumu does for our club,we take risks and they don't always work out but meh.

Yeah,that's the thing with potential,it's just potential - You can't go around saying he'll be better than past representative players on just that.
I've liked from what I've seen but you have to admit it's not an awful lot,once he's had a fair bit of first grade under his belt it will be possible to predict what he'll be able to do.

Y2Eel

First Grade
yobbo84 said:
Tell me what Priddis or Buderus can do that Issac can't? There are probably 20 blokes in the Souths squad you could put sh*t on and I would agree with you, but Issac is all class.

Luke is all class but not to the Buderus or Piggy standard ATM... He's even behind PJ marsh as a dummy half...

He's the best in your club thats what matters...

Dave Q

Coach
He's more exciting than Piggy as a runner but lacks Piggy's versatility.

PJ is a hard man, a good player that I have a lot of time for.... but a fundamentally different player from Luke.

Luke can hit hard, true but he's not in the same mongrel mould as these blokes.

The kid will develop.

He's been likened to Steve Walters, theres a big call.

yobbo84

First Grade
Shorty said:
I like what Faiumu does for our club,we take risks and they don't always work out but meh.

Yeah,that's the thing with potential,it's just potential - You can't go around saying he'll be better than past representative players on just that.
I've liked from what I've seen but you have to admit it's not an awful lot,once he's had a fair bit of first grade under his belt it will be possible to predict what he'll be able to do.

Did you even watch your team play us at ANZ last year? Do you not remember him tearing the Cowboys apart? He has done some special things in his short time in first grade.