What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"It’s very realistic to say that we’ll have a second team in Brisbane in 2023": V'landys

LeagueXIII

First Grade
If yo

If you’re a gambling addict you can have 4 games on the screen at once with streaming. This is what happens in US with college football where gambling is insane on it.
most fans dont watch every game, they watch their club then ones of Interest . There is no need for every game live and stand alone, it just means sht ko times that stop clubs earning decent revenue from fan attendance.
If it is happening in the US it's just a matter of time before it happens here. The NRL have a seven year deal with Foxtel...news corp are getting into sports betting...vlandys has a heap of experience in gambling industry....it looks like its headed in only one direction.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
The Storm and Cowboys fans from Brisbane is the demographic to target. If Brisbane 2 can convert these people from fans who attend one or two games a year into season ticket holders, then that's more money coming into the game.

Kids who are not yet Storm or Cowboys fans, but will support those teams as they get older because they hate the Broncos, are the other reason for Brisbane 2.

I'll never stop being a Cowboys fan, but I'll also be a Brisbane 2 fan. I'd imagine you'll still support the Storm when the Pirates enter the NRL, but will sign up as a season ticketed member attending Perth Oval every fortnight?
Nailed it! It doesn't matter if Brisbane 2 is the second favourite team of their members and for the crowds at their games for the first few seasons, the mission is to get these RL fans in Brisbane that only attend games once or twice a season attending regularly and hopefully buying a membership because a) they want to watch more live footy and b) they want to adopt a Brisbane team that isn't the Broncos (otherwise they'd already regularly attend Broncos games).

The longer term mission for B2 is to carve their own fan base out of the next generation.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
How pathetic is this "I support Team A but I also support Team B"crap.If you are a true supporter then ALL your support goes to your chosen team, none of this splitting allegiances garbage. Says a LOT about those who do this.
This would have been the case for the Broncos, Knights, Gold Coast, Canberra, North QLD, Warriors and Storm when they came into the NRL. They would have given the existing league fans a chance to attend regular first grade RL. Most of those fans would have had a club already but over time the new club carves out its own fan base

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Outside of the hope Sydney fans have that a 2nd Brisbane team will be a booming success (for mine it will be about as successful as the Titans have been), can someone run it by me with some sort of understandable logic as to why any Brisbane fan would give even half a shit about a generic Brisbane franchise? Let's face it here, Brisbane fans who aren't Bronco fans already have a team they're committed to, why would they give a shit about a brand new team?

At least if they extend Redcliffe or something into the NRL then the Redcliffe fans will obviously be on board, I just don't think the "Brisbane Bombers" or whatever they want to call it will have any genuine fanbase, other than the initial few years of success they will have due to having someone like Bennett as the coach and being able to pick the life out of the other 16 teams in the NRL (much like the Titans did).

Maybe the plastics in Brisbane will switch between the 2 clubs based on whoever is doing better at the time but for me you can't actually call yourself a fan is you are doing those sort of things.
It happens all the time though... Look at the BBL in cricket or the A-League in soccer. They did away with the established brands (in most cases) and went with what were essentially plastic franchises and they all quickly developed a fan base. If people love the game and identify with the team, they'll jump on board.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
And on that I often wonde r if part of broncos problem in filling Suncorp is that they have to play in family unfriendly time slots most home games?
If we saddle the new club the same they’re going to struggle to build their fanbase, especially if it’s a far flung supporter base like Redcliffe.
The Brisbane Dolphins won't just draw fans from Redcliffe though

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
The current system works something like this, if I am viewing it correctly.

16 clubs. Each club has 15 opponents and play 24 games, with 12 at home.

A club plays 9 other clubs twice over 18 rounds, and the other 6 once.

With 17 clubs in the competition, they will have to change the schedule.

17 clubs means each team has 16 opponents. If they stick with each club plays 9 others twice and the rest once then that equates to 25 games.

Maybe add a neutral venue round into a 25 game season where all 8 games are played in the country?

That would create a 12 home + 12 away + 1 neutral to give us a 25 game season for each team.

Maybe scrap Magic Round?

No need for it with 2 teams in Brisbane.
I'd take Magic Round to Melboune in round 1 as the AFL season usually kicks off later than ours. Flood Melbourne with RL supporters, fill the MCG, get the season off to a bang, make shed loads of money from the Vic Govt and give the Victorians a RL event (we know they love events) that they own.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nailed it! It doesn't matter if Brisbane 2 is the second favourite team of their members and for the crowds at their games for the first few seasons, the mission is to get these RL fans in Brisbane that only attend games once or twice a season attending regularly and hopefully buying a membership because a) they want to watch more live footy and b) they want to adopt a Brisbane team that isn't the Broncos (otherwise they'd already regularly attend Broncos games).

The longer term mission for B2 is to carve their own fan base out of the next generation.
The club report clearly shows a sizeable fan population in Brisbane that goes for another team. The trick will be to convert them to the new club. The new club cant wait a generation for the current 5 years olds to come through as their fan base. The Crushers started off well attendance wise so no reason to think the new club cant do even better with the way promotion and marketing and brand promotion is these days compared to the early 90's.

blaza88z

Coach
It happens all the time though... Look at the BBL in cricket or the A-League in soccer. They did away with the established brands (in most cases) and went with what were essentially plastic franchises and they all quickly developed a fan base. If people love the game and identify with the team, they'll jump on board.

It's a bit different in the BBL when all of the franchises are new entities, the Brisbane Heat for example although they are called the Brisbane Heat it's always been full of QLD Bulls players and that's been the theme throughout the entire tournament. Although they are new franchises fans aren't stupid, they know it's just an extension of the historical name of the team associated with the region for the sake of the new vibrant format of the game that is aimed at drawing in crowds for a couple of hours.

Can't say the same here. Brisbane "call it whatever you want" will have no affiliation with anything if it's just a generic team introduced, for me it has to be an extension of an already existing entity to have any chance.. or as I said, it could quickly become Titans v2.0 once the initial period wears off.

I haven't met any Bronco fan who just can't wait to get off them and jump on the back of the this new team, they're not only going to be trying to build a fan base they are walking into the ring with one of the strongest sporting teams in Australia. I am talking off the field obviously, on the field we've been horrible but it won't always be that way.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's a bit different in the BBL when all of the franchises are new entities, the Brisbane Heat for example although they are called the Brisbane Heat it's always been full of QLD Bulls players and that's been the theme throughout the entire tournament. Although they are new franchises fans aren't stupid, they know it's just an extension of the historical name of the team associated with the region for the sake of the new vibrant format of the game that is aimed at drawing in crowds for a couple of hours.

Can't say the same here. Brisbane "call it whatever you want" will have no affiliation with anything if it's just a generic team introduced, for me it has to be an extension of an already existing entity to have any chance.. or as I said, it could quickly become Titans v2.0 once the initial period wears off.

I haven't met any Bronco fan who just can't wait to get off them and jump on the back of the this new team, they're not only going to be trying to build a fan base they are walking into the ring with one of the strongest sporting teams in Australia. I am talking off the field obviously, on the field we've been horrible but it won't always be that way.
People choose to follow a club for a wide variety of reasons, but winning is a big one. Doesn't matter who they are or what they are called if they sit at the bottom like Titans then they will struggle to build a fanbase. I don't think it needs to be an existing brand, end of day there is hardly anyone following existing Brisbane QRL clubs, but has to appeal on a number of fronts. End of day we've been hearing for years that Brisbane has a massive latent RL supporter base who wont follow the Broncos. Time to see if that is true.

Pippen94

First Grade
The club report clearly shows a sizeable fan population in Brisbane that goes for another team. The trick will be to convert them to the new club. The new club cant wait a generation for the current 5 years olds to come through as their fan base. The Crushers started off well attendance wise so no reason to think the new club cant do even better with the way promotion and marketing and brand promotion is these days compared to the early 90's.

Yeah, all broncos haters will get behind new club united in their hate.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
People have have emotional attachments to football clubs, of any sport. Cricket doesn't have the same.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
KFC must run them for free huh?!
for the hard of understanding.
Kayo subscriptions from NRL fans around $100,000,000 a year. Advertising by the handful of companies that buy bulk advertising across all Fox channels equals a pss in the ocean in comparison. Loss of value of HT advertising due to having 2 or 3 games playing at once, a dry spit in the ocean.

Perth Red

Post Whore
People have have emotional attachments to football clubs, of any sport. Cricket doesn't have the same.
It all starts at some moment in time though. Before the club existed there was no attachment, then there was lol
BBl obviously did something right early on if my experience at the WACA I had was anything to go by. Couldn't believe how many people were there for a cricket game, especially young families.

blaza88z

Coach
People choose to follow a club for a wide variety of reasons, but winning is a big one. Doesn't matter who they are or what they are called if they sit at the bottom like Titans then they will struggle to build a fanbase. I don't think it needs to be an existing brand, end of day there is hardly anyone following existing Brisbane QRL clubs, but has to appeal on a number of fronts. End of day we've been hearing for years that Brisbane has a massive latent RL supporter base who wont follow the Broncos. Time to see if that is true.

It's not true mate, look at the Titans.

GC is as far out of Brisbane as Ipswich is, early days that stadium was rocking but in recent times (before covid), one half the stadium was empty most weeks.

Hardly anyone following the QRL clubs? are you out of your mind?

LeagueXIII

First Grade
It all starts at some moment in time though. Before the club existed there was no attachment, then there was lol
BBl obviously did something right early on if my experience at the WACA I had was anything to go by. Couldn't believe how many people were there for a cricket game, especially young families.

BBL is light entertainment. Like Rugby 7's or league 9's.

80,000 wouldn't march in the streets if Perth Heat were kicked out of the comp.