What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"It’s very realistic to say that we’ll have a second team in Brisbane in 2023": V'landys

MugaB

Coach
If I had to armchair general the Dolphins bid.. Just my thoughts not suggesting right way to go about it.

From other two bids, both use Brisbane as a name. I think they will go for a generic name like that. First preference would be the "Moreton Bay Dolphins" but I don't think they will use that. I would prefer they went with "South Queensland Dolphins" a team for the South etc etc.. Would prefer that to a "Brisbane Dolphins or North Brisbane Dolphins.
- Generic name
- Plays on rivalry with North Queensland.
- Even if the HQ is on the peninsula it theoretically still caters for all "South East Queensland".

Home grounds:
- 8 Suncorp (Broncos, Cowboys, Dragons etc.. Traditionally big away drawing Brisbane clubs). Look to try and average between 18K-22K first year at Suncorp.
- 2 Moreton Daily Stadium (New name for Dolphin Oval), low drawing clubs
- 2 Sunshine Coast Stadium, same as above. With Souths taking a game and future upgrade potential to stadium could have a scenario of 3-4 NRL games on the Sunshine Coast.

Colours:
Red, White, Gold (As suggested by another poster)
Poster= mwa
Agreed on all fronts, the generic name i'd be going for is East Coast Dolphins or South Queensland Dolphins

Perth Red

Post Whore
As per the website, it will not be the current Redcliff brand. The community/members will select the name and jersey.
'Just over 30 mins' according to the website is 36 mins according to google maps. Not too much of a stretch.
Hard to find out much info from the other bids.
That would be an avg 80kmh ish. How likely is that driving through Brisbane? Maybe as the crow flies lol. It’s about 90mins by public transport

MugaB

Coach
That would be an avg 80kmh ish. How likely is that driving through Brisbane? Maybe as the crow flies lol. It’s about 90mins by public transport
What! Ive aready stated it was 39km from suncorp, and ipswich is 42km, are you just bagging every bid that isn't the pirates

Perth Red

Post Whore
If I had to armchair general the Dolphins bid.. Just my thoughts not suggesting right way to go about it.

From other two bids, both use Brisbane as a name. I think they will go for a generic name like that. First preference would be the "Moreton Bay Dolphins" but I don't think they will use that. I would prefer they went with "South Queensland Dolphins" a team for the South etc etc.. Would prefer that to a "Brisbane Dolphins or North Brisbane Dolphins.
- Generic name
- Plays on rivalry with North Queensland.
- Even if the HQ is on the peninsula it theoretically still caters for all "South East Queensland".

Home grounds:
- 8 Suncorp (Broncos, Cowboys, Dragons etc.. Traditionally big away drawing Brisbane clubs). Look to try and average between 18K-22K first year at Suncorp.
- 2 Moreton Daily Stadium (New name for Dolphin Oval), low drawing clubs
- 2 Sunshine Coast Stadium, same as above. With Souths taking a game and future upgrade potential to stadium could have a scenario of 3-4 NRL games on the Sunshine Coast.

Colours:
Red, White, Gold (As suggested by another poster)

These aren’t community clubs lol, playing 4 games at a crowd avg of sub 10k and missing out on massive corporate sales at suncorp isn’t going to help the bottom line! Nice in theory, until you have to pay the bills. Sure the costs to host the games are much lower but if a brisbane 2 bid is looking at sub 15kmcrowds you have to ask where are all the fans we’ve been hearing about?

Perth Red

Post Whore
What! Ive aready stated it was 39km from suncorp, and ipswich is 42km, are you just bagging every bid that isn't the pirates

nope I’m being realistic about whose going to draw a crowd and where that crowd will come from. Without much detail available I’d rank them based on that: Firehawks, jets, dolphins. Jets higher due to now having the financial clout and corporate contacts of the bombers on board and a clear strategy to engage within that 30kms radius of Suncorp. Firehawks are a genuine brisbane city based club already have that, dolphins who everyone will see as a Redcliffe club will struggle Imo. Be like moving manly to sfs, calling them Sydney sea-eagles and expecting crowds to flock to them.

MugaB

Coach
nope I’m being realistic about whose going to draw a crowd and where that crowd will come from. Without much detail available I’d rank them based on that: Firehawks, jets, dolphins. Jets higher due to now having the financial clout and corporate contacts of the bombers on board and a clear strategy to engage within that 30kms radius of Suncorp. Firehawks are a genuine brisbane city based club already have that, dolphins who everyone will see as a Redcliffe club will struggle Imo. Be like moving manly to sfs, calling them Sydney sea-eagles and expecting crowds to flock to them.
Yeah wrong, its more like calling them south sydney and playing them at bankwest, and the jets would be penrith playing at homebush, easts would be roosters playing at sfs, but thats useless coz the broncos already service that same area effectively just spliting the catchment, sponsors, crowds, veiwers and memberships in half, or taking from the broncos, so theres no "expansion" if you're just adding another team in the same exact area...
Might aswell make north sydney bears as the 18th licence, instead of drawing in those west and north/east of milton

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeah wrong, its more like calling them south sydney and playing them at bankwest, and the jets would be penrith playing at homebush, easts would be roosters playing at sfs, but thats useless coz the broncos already service that same area effectively just spliting the catchment, sponsors, crowds, veiwers and memberships in half, or taking from the broncos, so theres no "expansion" if you're just adding another team in the same exact area...
Might aswell make north sydney bears as the 18th licence, instead of drawing in those west and north/east of milton

you do agree that’s it’s highly unlikely people will travel from more than 25-30 km to suncorp, especially for weeknight games, though? If you do then you have to accept that the majority of fans are going to come from the same catchment as broncos. The litmus test is are there 20k plus RL fans who don’t go watch the Broncos in that catchment who will actively support a new club, whichever club it is? The nrl thinks there are, Crushers suggested there are, time will tell and all that is left to decide is which of the three bids has the greatest chnce of financial viability and can engage these latent fans best. What I dont see is heaps of people from Moreton bay region travelling to Suncorp on a Thursday night!

And I’d say my analogy of manly to sfs far more comparative than Souths to bankwest. A peninsula club not easy to get to new stadium for current fanbase, just like Redcliffe to Suncorp.

ash the bash

Juniors
These aren’t community clubs lol, playing 4 games at a crowd avg of sub 10k and missing out on massive corporate sales at suncorp isn’t going to help the bottom line! Nice in theory, until you have to pay the bills. Sure the costs to host the games are much lower but if a brisbane 2 bid is looking at sub 15kmcrowds you have to ask where are all the fans we’ve been hearing about?

I think playing at Dolphin Oval would be cash flow positive as they own the venue. Not to mention additional revenue from the leagues club patronage pre and post game. Not disagreeing about Suncorp and importance of corporates. There lowest drawing 3-4 games split between Dolphin Oval and Sunshine coast rest at Suncorp stadium.

Santino Patane

Juniors
Honestly mate, you’re making things up here. Petrie Station (a train station smack bang in the middle of the Moreton Bay Council) is a 33 minute train ride to Roma street. It’s then a 15 minute walk to Suncorp. That’s about the same time Maps are saying a trip from Freo to Optus Stadium is, but maybe I shouldn’t talk out of my arse on cities that I haven’t spent much time in for the last 30 years.

Add a max 1/2 hour to get from home to the train and you’re still nowhere near the times you’ve made up. The other big thing is people already have no issue commuting to footy in qld- it’s Sydney that struggles. A lot of Broncos fans make it in from Ipswich without a worry.

Do us all a favour and stop pretending you’re in the know about SEQ because your lack of credible facts stands out for the actual locals. Have an opinion, that’s great, and any sane person will listen to your opinions particularly around all things WARL related, but stop pushing points you don’t have solid knowledge past a post or two.

Perth Red

Post Whore
A5108F1A-362E-4C47-ABFE-F42DB5BAE411.jpeg E7A478F3-B785-451E-8A92-41DA5CD3BA11.jpeg
Honestly mate, you’re making things up here. Petrie Station (a train station smack bang in the middle of the Moreton Bay Council) is a 33 minute train ride to Roma street. It’s then a 15 minute walk to Suncorp. That’s about the same time Maps are saying a trip from Freo to Optus Stadium is, but maybe I shouldn’t talk out of my arse on cities that I haven’t spent much time in for the last 30 years.

Add a max 1/2 hour to get from home to the train and you’re still nowhere near the times you’ve made up. The other big thing is people already have no issue commuting to footy in qld- it’s Sydney that struggles. A lot of Broncos fans make it in from Ipswich without a worry.

Do us all a favour and stop pretending you’re in the know about SEQ because your lack of credible facts stands out for the actual locals. Have an opinion, that’s great, and any sane person will listen to your opinions particularly around all things WARL related, but stop pushing points you don’t have solid knowledge past a post or two.

This is leaving 5:30 on a Friday night to get to the game

Fully admit I dont know the area so just going off what tinternet says, which admittedly is a dangerous thing to do lol

ps the WARL was disbanded in 2013 when it was aggressively taken over by the nrl.

Last edited:

mongoose

Coach

Perth Red is right though. That's good if you live in Petrie and can get to the station quickly but getting to Suncorp from most areas of Moreton Bay particularly around Redcliffe is a long trip.

MugaB

Coach
you do agree that’s it’s highly unlikely people will travel from more than 25-30 km to suncorp, especially for weeknight games, though? If you do then you have to accept that the majority of fans are going to come from the same catchment as broncos. The litmus test is are there 20k plus RL fans who don’t go watch the Broncos in that catchment who will actively support a new club, whichever club it is? The nrl thinks there are, Crushers suggested there are, time will tell and all that is left to decide is which of the three bids has the greatest chnce of financial viability and can engage these latent fans best. What I dont see is heaps of people from Moreton bay region travelling to Suncorp on a Thursday night!

And I’d say my analogy of manly to sfs far more comparative than Souths to bankwest. A peninsula club not easy to get to new stadium for current fanbase, just like Redcliffe to Suncorp.
NORTH QUEENSLAND COWBOYS!!!! There are people who travel 4 hours away to watch their team lose, mate 45mins are you kidding me, no wonder WA has no chance, they have folks like you shooting down "travel times"on other bids...
These 3 bids are far superior than that of any other, due to they already have somewhat successful lower grades clubs as their juniors since 1982 for the jets, 1967 for the dolphins and easts tigers since 1917. If any bid has that kind of history behind them ill be glad to read up on it, otherwise until WA gets super competitive in flegg, or Western Force port over from RU, perth will only get consideration with exhibition matches or a relocation

Perth Red

Post Whore
NORTH QUEENSLAND COWBOYS!!!! There are people who travel 4 hours away to watch their team lose, mate 45mins are you kidding me, no wonder WA has no chance, they have folks like you shooting down "travel times"on other bids...
These 3 bids are far superior than that of any other, due to they already have somewhat successful lower grades clubs as their juniors since 1982 for the jets, 1967 for the dolphins and easts tigers since 1917. If any bid has that kind of history behind them ill be glad to read up on it, otherwise until WA gets super competitive in flegg, or Western Force port over from RU, perth will only get consideration with exhibition matches or a relocation

leaving aside this has nothing to do with perth the reality is 90% of cowboys attendees are from Townsville. It’s a well proven fact that rl fans, and sports fans generally aren’t going to take a 2-3hr public transport Round trip to watch 2 hours of game time, especially on a week night which when Brisbane2 will play most of their games.
Reality is ANY new Brisbane club is going to need to draw around 20k loyal and committed fans from around 25-30kms racius of Suncorp. Which club is best placed to do that will be critical to the failure or success of this consolidation opportunity in Brisbane. I say consolidation as it isn’t expansion, it’s consolidating an already strong RL area.

MugaB

Coach
leaving aside this has nothing to do with perth the reality is 90% of cowboys attendees are from Townsville. It’s a well proven fact that rl fans, and sports fans generally aren’t going to take a 2-3hr public transport Round trip to watch 2 hours of game time, especially on a week night which when Brisbane2 will play most of their games.
Reality is ANY new Brisbane club is going to need to draw around 20k loyal and committed fans from around 25-30kms racius of Suncorp. Which club is best placed to do that will be critical to the failure or success of this consolidation opportunity in Brisbane. I say consolidation as it isn’t expansion, it’s consolidating an already strong RL area.
Show us where you got these figures of this 90% please?

Again your assuming that ONLY fans of the jets or dolphins bids will only come from redcliffe or Ipswich, you forget that city of brisbane has 2 million people to draw from, thats the reason why they are playing at Suncorp, to draw out the fans that love RL but aren't happy with the bronx...
Its like explaining to a wall of thickness, your rationale regarding these bids hurts my face....seriously PR give up

Travelling to Lang Park on a Thursday or Friday night isn't easy for people who live outside of Brisbane, especially if they have health issues. The free bus travel only extends to people who live in Brisbane. The Park N Rides are often full and chaotic with people driving around hoping to find a spare park from some one who commutes to and from work by bus. Queueing up for the bus can take ages as they're long and the buses aren't that frequent

You can get a train, but then there's the walk, which is difficult for older folk and people with health issues.

Working age people will struggle to do it. So will young families. Not everyone wants to get home around 11pm or 12am.

Greater Brisbane is growing rapidly and its population will be around 4.5m by 2060, with high rises going up all over the inner suburbs of Brisbane and working class families being forced out to Ipswich, Logan, Moreton Bay and Redlands. The people buying up the high rises are latte sipping wankers and foreigners who couldn't give a f**k about RL. We need to think long term, as we cannot afford to have our main fanbase forced out of attending NRL games due to distance and congestion. We need more boutique stadiums in the north, south and west.

Last edited:

Jamberoo

Juniors
How do you know most of their games will be on a week night?
Also, I reckon most sports fans would travel an hour to get to games. It takes me an hour to get to MCG/AAMI and the train is pretty full when I get on at Blackburn, so most people are taking even longer than me. In New York you have to go an hour out of Manhattan to see the Mets.
Driving on a weeknight to Suncorp will be against the traffic anyway.
Plus crowds are not as important to the NRL as ratings. Which bid/club will rate the best?

The Great Dane

First Grade
Because the main reason we are talking about a second Brisbane club at all is because the broadcasters, particularly Nine, want it to happen...

The plan is to have at least one game in Brisbane on free to air each week, and most weeks that will mean either a Thursday or Friday just like the Broncos.

MugaB

Coach
Greater Brisbane is growing rapidly and its population will be around 4.5m by 2060, with high rises going up all over the inner suburbs of Brisbane and working class families being forced out to Ipswich, Logan, Moreton Bay and Redlands. The people buying up the high rises are latte sipping wankers and foreigners who couldn't give a f**k about RL. We need to think long term, as we cannot afford to have our main fanbase forced out of attending NRL games due to distance and congestion. We need more boutique stadiums in the north, south and west.
So...... we should have ALL 3 bids then
Jets fo Ipswich, Easts for Redlands, and Dolphins for Redcliffe, leaving Bronx for Logan....tehe

So...... we should have ALL 3 bids then
Jets fo Ipswich, Easts for Redlands, and Dolphins for Redcliffe, leaving Bronx for Logan....tehe
:p

East Coast Dolphins, as a merger between Easts and Redcliffe, could work. In the short term it would rely on Easts fans in eastern Brisbane, Logan and Redlands to attend games at Lang Park, with the long term view being to build a boutique stadium in Moreton that can accommodate 25k fans and host 4 or 6 games a year. The Queensland Reds and Brisbane Roar would probably take some of their games there. Pooling the resources of Easts and Redcliffe would make it far richer and more viable off the field.

Broncos take Logan for granted and give nothing in return. The Titans are more involved with the junior clubs, especially in the southern suburbs.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Also, I reckon most sports fans would travel an hour to get to games. It takes me an hour to get to MCG/AAMI and the train is pretty full when I get on at Blackburn, so most people are taking even longer than me. In New York you have to go an hour out of Manhattan to see the Mets.
Driving on a weeknight to Suncorp will be against the traffic anyway.
Plus crowds are not as important to the NRL as ratings. Which bid/club will rate the best?

fta want a second brisbane club to boost their ratings. Get used to Brisbane2 on a Thursday and broncos Friday night every week
You haven’t been on here much if you think fans will travel more than an hour to get to games! Geez people say they wont go to Anz because they have to change trains once! Of course the die hard will but the other. 75% will come from a much closer radius of the stadium, especially on a weeknight when you are cutting out families attending.
An empty Suncorp will be as shthouse as watching games at an empty anz. Crowds will matter both from revenue, competing with big brother and so we don’t have another big empty stadium that turns audiences off. qlnd clubs tend to rate well in Brisbane so from that point of view there’s probably not much between the three. The bid with the best chance of having the resources to put out a successful club will draw the biggest tv audience in reality, that should be a key decision point on the bids.

Last edited:

Latest posts