What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"It’s very realistic to say that we’ll have a second team in Brisbane in 2023": V'landys

The Great Dane

First Grade
Is 6 Q Cup titles and 4 BRL titles good enough for you?
Has no bearing on their success as a business, and their success as a business is all that matters in this context.
The NRL will take the bids that they have and just the best one on their merits, not hang out waiting for the mythical perfect bid that may never come. As it stands now, Redcliffe have a very strong bid.
Uh-huh...

Not sure what that's got to do with what you are replying to, but do you I guess.
So Easts are rich which to you is a positive for Easts.

But Redcliffe by your own admission are richer but that is a negative for Redcliffe...

Makes sense...
I never even came close to saying that.

If that was an attempt at a straw man it's the worst I've ever seen...

MugaB

Coach
Its just like Queanbeyan Blues, being called Canberra Raiders, it will never work........

:rofl:

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
If they do it only should 1-2 games tops.
The idea that it would be acceptable for an NRL team to play any games at a stadium that has a capacity of 11.5k is insane to me.

It's even more insane that we'd accept it in the case of a Brisbane club, that could/should be drawing 25-30k+ if done right. At that point playing in a stadium that small is just an embarrassing way to devalue the product.
I was reading some comments on an A League article on TheRoar.com and it seems a lot of QLD Roar fans are not attending games anymore due to Redcliffe being hard to get to and also that there are no bars/restaurants close by, except of course Dolphins Leagues. Hope Dolphins and NRL are wary of this...
Who could have guessed that playing at a tiny suburban ground on a little peninsula on the outskirts of the city that's difficult for the majority of the population to get to was a bad idea...

Honestly though I get it from the Roar's point of view. Renting Suncorp every second week to play in front of two men and a dog can't be feasible, and I guess for whatever reason there's no better option than Redcliffe.

MugaB

Coach
The idea that it would be acceptable for an NRL team to play any games at a stadium that has a capacity of 11.5k is insane to me.
The souths home game at Dubbo drew about that, im not sure you value the product with a capacity crowd, but moreso the half empty suncorp stadium, that a broncos generally draws, yes its 20-25k, but its not capacity..
Im sure if Dolphins play the Bulldogs (or the equivalent spooner side) at the stadium in moreton bay would be sufficient.
but all other games at Suncorp would draw 20+k...
Seem to think that whoever gets the nod will be an instance success, any new franchise will be lucky to make finals, given the RL history of expansion teams

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Its just like Queanbeyan Blues, being called Canberra Raiders, it will never work........

:rofl:
I've only been arguing for years now that Redcliffe should follow the Raider's, and too lesser extent Power's, lead. To do that Redcliffe would have to completely rebrand, that means giving up the Dolphins brand just like the Blues and Magpies gave up their brands to become something bigger.

If Redcliffe won't do that they'll fail just like the Canberra Blues would have failed, and the Canberra Vikings did fail multiple times.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
The souths home game at Dubbo drew about that, im not sure you value the product with a capacity crowd, but moreso the half empty suncorp stadium, that a broncos generally draws, yes its 20-25k, but its not capacity..
Yeah and NRL teams taking games to country towns like Dubbo is a mistake as well...

It's token crap that does more harm than good in the long run, but it gives the perception that the NRL is doing something for footy in the bush and perception is all that seems to matter to people these days.

MugaB

Coach
Yeah and NRL teams taking games to country towns like Dubbo is a mistake as well...

It's token crap that does more harm than good in the long run, but it gives the perception that the NRL is doing something for footy in the bush and perception is all that seems to matter to people these days.
Isiah Yeo and Matt Burton say hello.....

Dribbling again are we... token crap is having canberra in the NRL

Perth Red

Post Whore

There’s only one reason nrl clubs take games to the bush, the $300k they get from the council! And that is only a viable option because they are so sht at selling their product and growing their customer base at their home stadium.

PVL has made a goose of himself here. He demanded the ARLC bail out Cronulla when they were broke for the 3rd time in 25 years, yet says Brisbane 2 has to present a business case that stacks up. It's obvious that Cronulla's business case doesn't stack up. It's one rule for Sydney and another for everyone else, and that's what annoys people from outside of NSW.

Arthurson and Quayle did the same shit in 1995 and look how that ended up.

There’s not many businesses who think they can start up a brand new start up venture without investing any start up funding. Nrl always wants to do things half arsed and on the cheap and it always comes back to bite them.
What's the real reason behind ARLC wanting Brisbane 2?

Are they short on money and think this will add money to the kit for the existing clubs to piss up a wall?

Perth Red

Post Whore
What's the real reason behind ARLC wanting Brisbane 2?

Are they short on money and think this will add money to the kit for the existing clubs to piss up a wall?

yes pretty much it I reckon. But if it doesn’t add at least $13mill cash extra a year to the fta deal then it’s still going to cost them money. Vlandys is all over , one moment afl is a joke of a sport that offers no competition to RL in its two states, the next he’s telling us we must add a brisbane club next to counter act the threat of afl in queensland. Then it’s we need more queensland clubs or else origin is at risk of dying. Then he’s telling us it’s so people like cam smith don’t have to go to melbourne!

Have they received the new report yet that says if expansion is viable?

The Great Dane

First Grade
There’s only one reason nrl clubs take games to the bush, the $300k they get from the council! And that is only a viable option because they are so sht at selling their product and growing their customer base at their home stadium.
No doubt that the clubs are incentivised by the money, but the NRL abused the situation for positive press as well.

If anybody in the media actually took the time to look into the effects that these sorts of deals have had on cities/regions over the long term in other sports, they'd come to the conclusion that they are a slow growing cancer that poisons the sport in the region.

Tasmania's current conflict with the AFL is one of the best examples.

MugaB

Coach
No doubt that the clubs are incentivised by the money, but the NRL abused the situation for positive press as well.

If anybody in the media actually took the time to look into the effects that these sorts of deals have had on cities/regions over the long term in other sports, they'd come to the conclusion that they are a slow growing cancer that poisons the sport in the region.

Tasmania's current conflict with the AFL is one of the best examples.
Im sure dubbo hated having South Sydney and Penrith playing at Apex oval.. please, these kind of of games are a great incentive for juniors to aspire to, seeing two local juniors play NRL at their hometown is such a blight on the game.....:joy:

Jamberoo

Juniors
I've only been arguing for years now that Redcliffe should follow the Raider's, and too lesser extent Power's, lead. To do that Redcliffe would have to completely rebrand, that means giving up the Dolphins brand just like the Blues and Magpies gave up their brands to become something bigger.

If Redcliffe won't do that they'll fail just like the Canberra Blues would have failed, and the Canberra Vikings did fail multiple times.
How many people in Brisbane actually follow the local RL and would have any negative feeling of the Dolphins brand? 500? 1000? Aren't the crowds only a few hundred for Intrust Cup? Even if it is 5,000, or 10,000 that is a drop in the ocean of the 2,500,000 people in Brisbane. Dolphins is a good brand.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Has no bearing on their success as a business, and their success as a business is all that matters in this context.

You asked me to define a successful football club now the goal posts are shifting to a successful business. Nice work!

On that though, I'd hate to see what you thought was a poorly run business considering what the Dolphins have built over the years in Redcliffe. They have very successfully run their business.

Uh-huh...

Not sure what that's got to do with what you are replying to, but do you I guess.

You said the NRL's goal should be to build the biggest football clubs possible. Not sure what more you want from the Dolphins here. They are as big as it comes in the Q Cup and bigger than some NRL clubs in terms of asset base. They run a successful football club and business and have a history of producing quality juniors.

To top it off they've also committed to dropping the Redcliffe name and playing out of Suncorp to ensure they appeal to the broadest audience possible.

I never even came close to saying that.

If that was an attempt at a straw man it's the worst I've ever seen...

Don't confuse word in the media for facts.

The only reason people are talking about Redcliffe being so much better off financially and know about all their assets is because they've been crowing about them in the media while Easts have been coy.

It's well known that Easts are absolutely loaded as well, maybe not as loaded as Redcliffe, but more than loaded enough to support an NRL club long term if they wish.

I don't follow the Dolphins but I hope they are the winning bid just to see you get pissy about it.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Your whole thesis is built on a massive if!

You are making the massive assumption that the Dolphins will be a success if they can draw significant support from outside of Redcliffe, without any evidence, aside from anecdote, that they are even capable of drawing significant support from outside of Redcliffe.

That if is an enormous if compared to my 'ifs and maybes', both of which are such common occurrences I gave you a bunch of examples where it's happened, and could have given you a bunch more. It's also the same if that most failed sports teams around the world have made...

Also I'm so f**king sick of hearing the 'they're calling themselves Brisbane' horseshit. It's simplistic to the point of being absurd, and I can't believe people say it unironically.

They may as well call themselves the Australia Dolphins using that logic, that way they'd draw millions of supporters from across Australia right!

This is not about the Dolphins, The Crushers showed in 1995 that the Brisbane ''Anythings'' will draw significant support from all over the city. This will be no different for Brisbane 2 no matter which is the winning bid. It is a Rugby League mad city that is under represented at NRL level.

Latest posts