What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Italia RFL Recognised by Italian National Olympic Committee and Call for Democracy

Ari Gold

Bench
Great news. I thought Matteo was doing a great job as president though, I hope he isn't lost to the sport

ghani

Juniors
Hi Ari
Thanks for your personal support :) I'm still in, David is far better for that role. There's a lot of things to do and now with less pressure I will follow better some issues that last year were not properly in order! :) Cheers PR

The Italia RFL has been recognised by CONI (Italian National Olympic Committee) as an official federal organisation and exclusive in promoting and developing Rugby League (or Rugby a 13) in Italy.
The acceptance of our request passes through the evaluation of the real forces on the field, teams and the number of participants involved and members licensed by a commission of the Committee. In the coming months the relationship between the Italia and CONI will lead to regular and full recognition of Rugby League as a Associate Sport Disciplines (DSA) as one of the federations affiliated to the National Committee.

Our days of intensive work to prepare the statutes of our association to adhere to the laws and regulations that CONI provides for its members are recognised. The newly-elected president David Massitti said: "Achieving the official recognition by the Coni is an honor, as well as a turning point between the pure passion and the beginning of a much more serious and professional way, we will develop by following rules and strict methodologies. In all probability if recognition was the case with our predecessors in the sixties, perhaps the story would have been different. We now have the opportunity to continue from that point: Rugby League is a sport for the institutions themselves, certainly akin, but different from rugby union. The ability to access all facilities that the official recognition gives us will be a driving force for the development of our sport, the fact that the CONI (Olympic Committee) is an important member of the IOC and involved in the Olympics opens up a much larger scenario for the same discipline itself, not only for us. "

Our next aim is to close the gap of the souls of the Italian Rugby League, a reunification that we hoped for the day, following the separation of 2010, based on respect for democracy and Rugby League itself. In this mission, the great availability of the RLIF Development Manager, Mr. Bortolo Tas Baitieri, has been immensely helpful, for comparison and continuous inspiration for reflection and growth. His participation in the events and his passion in Italy was able to give the push towards a solution that hopefully, can be close and fruitful. In June of this year, following an invitation and the presence of Mr. Baitieri, representatives of the two associations met in Venice at a meeting of confrontation which had given an encouraging result was accepted as the the condition of the principle of democratic representation, namely the election of a board based on teams which proved their existence and that had played in the competitions of the respective associations to form a single and best body.

The Italia RFL, following the decrees of Italian law, the rules of the CONI and indications/opinions of Mr. Baitieri advances formally reiterates the invitation to the FIRL and puts to the field 13 clubs since the 2010 Championship and their representatives, still waiting to know what they are, in addition to only 2 known, the teams and representatives thereof, associated with the FIRL.

We find that the formula of democracy and representation is the input for a better constituent phase that gives rise to a body that represents the four key aspects in each association: clubs, players, coaches and referees. The same principles are the foundation of all successful federations and we want you to remember that the same history of Rugby League began thus: "On 29 August 1895, representatives of twenty-two clubs met in the North of England at the George Hotel in Huddersfield to form the Northern Rugby Football Union ".

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
Fantastic news for the game in Italy. Hopefully off the back of this the sport can grow in all aspects, and of course the qualification of the WC.

Heritage XIII

Juniors
I'm confused. The body that has gained government recognition is the rebel group and the group in power will be represented in the 2013 WC.

Is the Italian government aware of this?

Evil Homer

Staff member
Great news. Surely the FIRL have no alternative now but to open up discussions, and if not then I hope the RLEF have the balls and organization to force their hand.

ghani

Juniors
I'm confused. The body that has gained government recognition is the rebel group and the group in power will be represented in the 2013 WC.

Is the Italian government aware of this?

Hi HXIII
Yes Coni is well aware about it. During our application form we were clear about the two existing associations and about that RLEF recognize only one. We have presented our Federation, Teams, Projects and application forms of our players. They have studied them and took a decision.
Cheers PR

Ari Gold

Bench
I can understand why the FIRL would disagree to the proposal though, considering they have AT MOST 4 clubs then their voting rights would be in the vast minority. Yes, they should pull their finger out and develop more teams but unfortunately they're the fed in the position of power (In terms of RLEF support) and so they have everything to lose by agreeing to the proposal. It's not right but it's the way things move in politics.

Latest posts