What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Italy 92 Russia 6

RedVee

First Grade
I think they forgot to ask Mini to sign the paper in the rush to select him for NSW.

Fair play to Italy, he has committed and he is eligible, but i do wonder if this could be a near mortal wound for Russia RL. Evidently they are planning on hosting the RWC. The rot started imo when the rotters on the IOC made Rugby 7s an Olympic sport... should have been touch footy -again imo.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
They should introduce a rule where by you must play a minimum number of games for a country BEFORE a world cup or WCQ to be eligible for them.

This result does nothing for RL, Russia has full domestic team while Italy is loaded with Aussies with Italian backgrounds. As was previouslyt mentioned it is not a true reflection of the strengths of each teams domestic competition.

paulmac

Juniors
I hope the RLIF reverse their decision to have an emerging nations World Cup.It would give Russia,Serbia,South Africa etc a realistic chance of glory.If was for home grown players only ala the AFLs international Cup it would be tremendous shot in tha arm for the develepment of international RL.It would also let these nations feel as though they are part of the world cup proper if they were involved in the opening ceremony etc.

Evil Homer

Staff member
They should introduce a rule where by you must play a minimum number of games for a country BEFORE a world cup or WCQ to be eligible for them.

This result does nothing for RL, Russia has full domestic team while Italy is loaded with Aussies with Italian backgrounds. As was previouslyt mentioned it is not a true reflection of the strengths of each teams domestic competition.
Such a rule would be impossible to implement and would be completely unfair. Making up contrived rules to artificially alter the standard isn't going to help anyone. Seriously, one nation for life would remove any problems.

International sport isn't supposed to particularly be a reflection of the strength of domestic competitions. Look at football, the domestic comps in places like Brazil and Argentina is a lot worse than many European competitions, yet they can consistently put out better sides. A lot of African nations have extremely small domestic competitions and are still able to put out strong teams. If internationals were supposed to be reflective solely of domestic strength, then we might as well just scrap eligibility altogether and play a series of all-star matches.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Comparing international RL to football is not an equal comparison. Footballers who play for Brazil etc but not in their domestic leagues at least were born in these countries or learnt the game there. Besides football is a truly international sport thst has strong leadership and structures.

I would say the rules we have now are contrived. If Rl was fair dinkum they could implement rules easily but as always it's too hard or the game has to spend money for little financial return. Russia is seriously going under and yet it has played our game for 20 years and showed potential, yet our leaders do nothing to help.

RHCP

Bench
I don't think a one nation rule is the solution. A place like Fiji is never going to have the population to support a competetive rugby league team using just domestic players and those who aren't quite good enough to play for Australia and New Zealand. It's better to have Hayne, Uate, T-Rex, etc., playing some games for minnows than none at all IMO. A blanket rule is not the way forward.

The most important step that needs to be taken is to allow players to represent minnows AND play State of Origin. If this rule was implemented there's every chance guys like Neville Costigan and Josh McGuire would still be playing for PNG and Samoa, respectively.

Beyond that, I'm not sure. Perhaps a sliding scale, teams outside the Top 20 can use x amount of players who have previously played for top tier sides with a minimum of x amount of domestic players, going lower as teams ascend in the rankings. That way as teams ascend through the rankings, sides like Italy can slowly be weaned off their dependence on imports and the quality of domestic competitions can only be improve by using the domestic players. To just flat out say guys like Mini cannot play for Italy is handicapping ourselves.

But then again, that could just lead to yoyoing up and down the rankings as teams get higher and have to rely on more domestic players.

Whatever the solution is, it's great to see so many fans passionate about the international game. And on the upside, although it's sad to see Russia going down by 84, it's a positive for Italy to be winning by such a big scoreline.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Agree totally a rule should be brought in that says if you played junior football in Australia you are eligible to play for Qld or NSW and your home country. Benji, SBW etc could all play origin, afterall it is Australia trying to keep all the best players for origin that has led to all this stupidity regarding nation hopping.

Didgi

I'd say it more highlights the strength of Italy's non-domestics.

In the article I posted earlier there's a quote to the effect that Russia would be favourites if it was domestic players only.

siv

First Grade
I have no issues with Italy using ESL or NRL players

All other nations do

Just disappointed in the game in Russia - it seems to be going backwards

Wonder how they would go against the Euro Shield nations of Germany / Czech, Norway, Malta

I would suggest that ther be a Tier 3/4 qualifying process next time

Big Picture

Juniors
Comparing international RL to football is not an equal comparison. Footballers who play for Brazil etc but not in their domestic leagues at least were born in these countries or learnt the game there. Besides football is a truly international sport thst has strong leadership and structures.

I would say the rules we have now are contrived. If Rl was fair dinkum they could implement rules easily but as always it's too hard or the game has to spend money for little financial return. Russia is seriously going under and yet it has played our game for 20 years and showed potential, yet our leaders do nothing to help.
That's a very good point. Everyone in the Brazilian soccer team is a domestically-produced player, even the ones now playing for non-Brazilian clubs. There should be a quota of domestically-produced players for RL national teams, the only question is what level it should be set at. After today I wouldn't blame any of those Russian players for going over to RU, there they can at least play in competitive games.

Big Picture

Juniors
I have no issues with Italy using ESL or NRL players

All other nations do

Just disappointed in the game in Russia - it seems to be going backwards

Wonder how they would go against the Euro Shield nations of Germany / Czech, Norway, Malta

I would suggest that ther be a Tier 3/4 qualifying process next time
Italy didn't use many ESL or NRL players, their ringers are mostly semi-pro by the look of it.

Of course Russian RL's gone backwards. RU got accepted into the Olympics and subesequently lots of money flowed into Russian RU. RL doesn't have the money to compete with that, so between that and the politics within Russian RL it almost collapsed completely. That might yet happen after results like this one.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Here is the Italian team

Anthony Minichiello(c) - Sydney Roosters

Christophe Calegari - Lezignan

Dom Nasso - Monto

Matt Parrata - Mt Isa

Josh Mantellato - Wyong

Ben Falcone - Wentworth

Ryan Ghietti - Northern Pride

Alex Ranieri - North Sydney

Ray Nasso - Villefranche

Ryan Tramonte - St Patricks Blacktown

Cameron Ciraldo - Newcastle

Joel Riethmuller - North Queensland

Rob Quitadamo - Grions PD

Subs:

Dean Vicelich - Narrabeen (formerly Canterbury)

Cederic Prizzon - Villefranche

Matthew Sands - Griffons PD

Rhys Lennarduzzi - Western Suburbs

PARRA_FAN

Coach
if you understand where I'm coming from, how can it be one of the dumbest suggestions you've ever seen?

It's simple, the guy played origin this year, meaning his allegiances were with Aus. If Italy qualify with on merit (with those that have only ever represented Italy) then they deserve it. The ability to then bring in the Minichello's come WC time will hopefully reduce somewhat the blowout scorelines when they play the heavyweight teams...

I hear you mate, but I think he decided to pledge his allegences to Italy, given he wouldve been given no chance behind Slater, Boyd, Stewart, Hayne, Dugan.

Id rather him play during the qualifiers and then commit to Italy. Compared to Kiwis who play for New Zealand then are picked for Samoa, over Samoan locals who played during qualification.

kiwiaus

Juniors
I have no problem with Mini playing for Italy. He won't play for Australia again, and it can only help the game over there with his knowledge and skill.
CONGRATULATIONS ITALY ..... CONGRATULATIONS MINI

If Italy do get through to the World Cup we have to think of the benefits after the World Cup. The exposure rugby league could get in a huge market, a Super League team could be a possibility and a semi professional competition.

billy2

Juniors
If Italy do get through to the World Cup we have to think of the benefits after the World Cup. The exposure rugby league could get in a huge market, a Super League team could be a possibility and a semi professional competition.
Italy shares a border with the League playing areas in the south of France. Don't know if there are any teams in that part of Italy, but it isn't hard to see where an Italian side could join a French comp.

Srbin

Juniors
That's a very good point. Everyone in the Brazilian soccer team is a domestically-produced player, even the ones now playing for non-Brazilian clubs. There should be a quota of domestically-produced players for RL national teams, the only question is what level it should be set at. After today I wouldn't blame any of those Russian players for going over to RU, there they can at least play in competitive games.

As I said earlier there is a quota of domestically-produced it's min 5 domestic players in a squad of 20...that means on match day that Italy had 15 players from Australia, UK, France...and 2 domestic in a squad of 17...

roughyedspud

Coach
What is the "rule" regarding nation swapping?

revised after the 2008 world cup its - which ever nation you play for from 2009 onwards you are tied into that nation till after the 2013 world cup..

this rule has since been broken though namely by the ARL to get Uate who played for fiji in the 2009 pacific cup

Latest posts