What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"It's good when people don't want to leave

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Always been a Gaz fan, but geez it sh*ts me to see two blokes genuinely upset about having to leave us, then the primary reason for this move decides he's had enough of league a matter of months after the GF.

I don't think I'm too far wrong in saying that if you could turn back time, not many Saints fans would have re-signed Gasnier if it meant losing the grunt in the pack.

But it's all a bit moot now....coulda, shoulda, woulda.
I think the majority of fans would agree with your comments if they were being honest about it.....

The Nick

Bench
On track like in 2009? A bit of extra strike might have been nice that year.

Yeah like 2009, except with the added benefit of another pre-season under Wayne, plus an additional 12 months experience under his systems.

From what Gaz has displayed since he's come back, I hardly think he is head and shoulders above Beau Scott in the position.

HowHigh

Coach
Didn't agree with letting both of them go. Fair enough Smith had some injury problems and missed a bit of time but when did play you could see the impact he had. Costigan was great too, and we're really missing some of that muscle they provided to our forward pack.
Shame they're gone but we still have a good pack, some just need to step it up again.

Godz Illa

Coach
From what Gaz has displayed since he's come back, I hardly think he is head and shoulders above Beau Scott in the position.
In my opinion, he was and is. Some stats for last year.

Beau Scott played 12 games at centre for us in 2010.
2 tries. 1 try assist. 1 line break. 1 line break assist.

Gaz played 12 (2 off the bench).
5 tries. 3 try assists. 3 line breaks. 7 line break assists.

Collateral

Coach
I rate them too, but we are not losing games now because of them not being in the team.

On the contrary I think Willow...its this time of the year that Nev and Jez took it up a notch and were probably two of our standouts.

We are in the business end of the season now where the whips are cracking and teams either pick up the pace and show their ability or fall off the pace and bomb out.

Not having these guys leading the way is costing us big time.

Collateral

Coach
Losing Smith, Costigan & Saffy all in one go was a monumental disaster if you ask me. i would happily of sacrificed Gasnier, Weyman, Green, Fien & Prior to keep those three in the team.

Last edited:

Breathingfire

Juniors
I am of the opinion that we needed Gaz to come back, but that we are also missing Costigan and Smith. I agree with Godz that Gaz was instrumental to our premiership success. I can't see Beau Scott running through and leaping high to score the first try of the 2010 GF. The planets seem to have aligned last year and all the necessary ingredients were in the dish. In saying that, I feel that Smith and Nev have been sorely missed this year. But that's common sense; they are world class footballers. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and in hindsight, having won the premiership last year, I think its a bit rich to wish that Gaz had never returned.

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
On the contrary I think Willow...its this time of the year that Nev and Jez took it up a notch and were probably two of our standouts.

We are in the business end of the season now where the whips are cracking and teams either pick up the pace and show their ability or fall off the pace and bomb out.

Not having these guys leading the way is costing us big time.
Pretty sure Jeremy Smith missed a few games at this phase of the season last year.

moik

Bench
What's done is done, but I still feel we got through the finals on Jeremy Smith's shoulders. We wouldn't have beaten the Tigers without him and he should have won the CCM in the grand final.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
He still stood out in the games he played and was instrumental in our finals success though.
But he didn't get us there.

With respect, I think people are just searching for reasons for our drop in form. The best thing we can do is to get out there and support the team.

Collateral

Coach
Willow, I brought up this argument at the time of the decision to let them all go and I just think that my argument has been justified several times this year, not just now.

While it's good to be out infront of the pack halfway through the year it's obviously better to be winning at the end of the year.

Collateral

Coach
How's Cronulla's pack performing this year?

How was melbournes before he came to saints?

Not much point comparing Cronulla to us Willow, you should know better than that :p

The Culture at Cronulla is holding them back. Lockyer could play for them and they would still be shite.

Having said that Gallen and Smith have been their standouts in the forwards when on the pitch. Watch the round 2 game if you have the stomach for it.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Not real good but keep that lame argument going.

Excuse me? People are having an exchange of opinions. If you don't like it, just avert your eyes.
Watch the round 2 game if you have the stomach for it.
I thought you weren't counting the first half of the season.

Collateral, we can agree to disagree, but my view is that people are reaching for excuses.

Jeremy Smith was injury prone, He came good for us for a few games last year but lots of other players stepped up as well.

IMO, the reason why we beat the Tigers was because we simply won the middle ground midway through the second half, forcing a Benji Marshall error (kick out on the full) and Soward slotted a great field goal. J Smith was great but he wasn't the only player on the field that day.

We miss Costigan and Saffy, I accept that. But we don't miss J Smith sitting on the sideline.

Last edited: