What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IT'S OFFICIAL................

arw76

Juniors
4 Stand alone games at Telstra + Double Header
3 Games each at C'town and LO
1 Game at Christchurch

Plus 1 game each at C'town and LO for trial matches

This is for the next 3 SEASONS!!!!!!!!!!

Juniors
Tigers see future at Telstra Stadium

Source- SMH

The future of Leichhardt Oval and Campbelltown Stadium has been left clouded following confirmation that Wests Tigers would play four home games at Telstra Stadium annually over the next three NRL seasons.

Tigers chief executive Steve Noyce says the joint venture club would have been better off financially playing all its home games at the Olympic venue but felt it needed to respect tradition.

Leichhardt Oval, which needs major renovation work, and Campbelltown Stadium will each host three home games in 2005.

Four home clashes will be contested at Telstra Stadium, in addition to the 2005 season-opening double-header, and one at Jade Stadium, Christchurch.

This year Wests Tigers had home games at Jade (1), Campbelltown (5), Leichhardt (4) and Telstra (2).

"Campbelltown and Leichhardt can be great venues to watch football but unfortunately they haven't kept pace with the requirements of modern stadiums," said Wests chief executive Steve Noyce.

"The feedback we've been getting from supporters, sponsors and corporate partners is that transport and public amenities have been less than adequate and seating capacity and covered seating is limited.

Advertisement
Advertisement
"Additionally all important media and dressing room facilities are not up to the required standard.

"Both local councils are aware of the issues that we face and we are committed to working with them to obtain the necessary funding that is required."

Noyce said both Leichhardt and Campbelltown stadiums had inadequate lighting, meaning Telstra would host the night matches.

Just 10 days ago Wests Tigers attracted their biggest ever home crowd of 19,402 in a round 22 match against Souths at Leichhardt, beating a figure of 18,883 set at the same venue in May this year.

Tigers skipper Darren Senter, who was making his final appearance at Leichhardt before retirement, described the venue as "a special place" because of the passion of the supporters.

The club has asked the NSW Government for $2 million to refurbish Leichhardt, home to the Tigers since 1934.

westie

Bench
If all the people that have been complaining were at the games when the club needed them this probably wouldnt have happened.

mikey

Juniors
It's not as simple as that young fella.

Firstly, a lot of fans don't live within a dogs fart of Sydney.

Secondly and more importantly, the local councils weren't convinced of the financial benefits of upgrading the grounds. I don't blame them for this.

I believe the real problem is with the state government. Why they won't finance LO or CO is beyond me. I suspect it's because they aren't marginal seats but must admit I don't know as I haven't lived in Sydney for almost twenty years and so have little interest in local politics.

I don't like the move at all but if the club honestly can't get the grounds upgraded and they have been honest re: financial benefits then I don't think they have any choice.

I hope the financial gains over the next three years lead us back to our origins.

tigpie

Juniors
When I first heard about the likely use of Telstra Stadium some weeks back, I was desperately disappointed :cry: ... for two main reasons:
1. the loss of tradition associated with Campbelltown and Leichhardt;
2. the loss of atmosphere in huge place like Telstra (the 19,000+ at the Souths game is only one fifth of the stadium's capacity ... hard to generate atmosphere and energy in a stadium that is four-fifths empty).

I'm still disappointed (but pleased that L and C will still be used for at least three games) but a little less :? so since I've taken time to think a few things through (to quote Roy & HG). The use of Telstra does have some pluses ... and I realise that I'll probably be criticised for even thinking such things:
1. access is much easier. The railway station is right on hand and there is ample parking close to the ground (more than can be said of the other two grounds, especially LO);
2. greater comfort. Much easier to get a good seat with a good view of the ground ... undercover if it's raining;
3. high quality large screens that you can actually see!
4. not of great interest to spectators ... but better facilities for the players;
5. on a selfish note, a better location. Homebush is closer to where I live and easier to get to (and quicker to get home from) than either Leichhardt or Campbelltown and, therefore, I'm more likely to attend more games.
6. greater capacity for bigger crowds (which should follow if the team continues to improve in coming seasons).

Oh well, there goes! Just trying to be a bit positive. :p Any other pluses (or minuses)? :?:

gr8_1

Juniors
Why would any council finance a ground when only 3-4 games are played there every year.

just tell them not to have a game there when the easter show is on

It was pathtic they had a crowd of people waiting to get throught to the ground near where all the buses are

And they couldnt close the section off for a few mins because people may have gone to the show

with most people wearing a jersey or somthing y would they bother going to the show

_A_J_Gray_

Juniors
9 games in 3 years at each home ground. :?

So if this had been implemented before it means from a few weeks before the club had the drug scandal in 2001, to in 4 weeks when the season ends we would of had a home ground match 9 times at each venue.

What Crap.

Hope they enjoy shit crowds next year. As loyal as I am to them, I wont be making the most regular of trips. Watching Rugby League at Stadium Australia doesnt work, and its much more enjoyable to watch at home.

mikey

Juniors
_A_J_Gray_ said:

So if this had been implemented before it means from a few weeks before the club had the drug scandal in 2001, to in 4 weeks when the season ends we would of had a home ground match 9 times at each venue.

What Crap.

Hope they enjoy sh*t crowds next year. As loyal as I am to them, I wont be making the most regular of trips. Watching Rugby League at Stadium Australia doesnt work, and its much more enjoyable to watch at home.

watching league at any of the 'great' stadiums is a joke if you ask me. The only thing great about them is the rich can get richer.

B_Tiger

Juniors
I think Noyce is a bastard for suggesting fans are unhappy with leichhardt and campbo...""The feedback we've been getting from supporters, sponsors and corporate partners is that transport and public amenities have been less than adequate and seating capacity and covered seating is limited."

f**k "less then adequate", Leichhardt offers the best rugby league experience of any ground in the competition, and if he honestly believes fans can't put up with shit toilets at a footy match, then he has no idea who fans of the wests tigers are. Sitting in that shithole at homebush is what is less then adequate. He can claim money pushed him to homebush, but he has no right to say fans are unhappy with leichhardt. If a few fickle fans show up to leichhardt once in a while and don't show up enough to know the good places to park, then that's there own f**king problem and our decisions certainly shouldn't be tailored to their needs. The corporate wankers who run our game need their luxury seats in a big fat arse stadium because they don't give a shit about the game, and it's a f**king shame we have to suck their arses just to stay alive. I f**king hate our administration.

BuffaloRules

Coach
_A_J_Gray_ said:
What Crap.

Hope they enjoy sh*t crowds next year. As loyal as I am to them, I wont be making the most regular of trips. Watching Rugby League at Stadium Australia doesnt work, and its much more enjoyable to watch at home.

You have summarised my thoughts on this matter perfectly....

I can't help but wonder, is there another agenda here??

When they get sh*t crowds will they say something like, "well we've had an offer to play 5 games at Central coast/Gold coast next year and Leichhardt is still not ready and Telstra don't want us anymore because no one shows up.....its only for three years until Leichhardt is fixed..."

Suzie

Juniors
mikey said:
_A_J_Gray_ said:

What Crap.

watching league at any of the 'great' stadiums is a joke if you ask me. The only thing great about them is the rich can get richer.
TESTIFY!!!

King Tigerman

Juniors
but youve got to understand why the club has had to do it no fault of theres but money coming in is getting tight & we dont want to club to die

but in saying that weve got to make telstra stadium feel like a home ground otherwise therell be problems

Davester

Juniors
Gonna feel a little empty there but none the less, if the supporters are there and my team is playing then that's all that matters. Wont be the same but I'll adjust and come to like it I guess.

skandofan

Juniors
That last Sunday as Leichardt was a real top afternoon, a great day all round. Nothing will beat it.

Further,

Nothing beats seeing the Tiger's run out of the tunnel sitting on the hill hearing " eye of the tiger" blasting out of the speakers.

Nothing beats the quick and easy public bar lines

and really nothing can be better than Leichardt, the atmosphere, everything.

It's one of the only grounds left u can shout out shit to the opposition and don't get heckled for saying it. And your so close to the action too.

And who gives a f**k about the bathrooms, that takes 30 seconds of your time, the game goes for 80 minutes.

Jux

Juniors
B_Tiger said:
I think Noyce is a bastard for suggesting fans are unhappy with leichhardt and campbo...""The feedback we've been getting from supporters, sponsors and corporate partners is that transport and public amenities have been less than adequate and seating capacity and covered seating is limited."

f**k "less then adequate", Leichhardt offers the best rugby league experience of any ground in the competition, and if he honestly believes fans can't put up with sh*t toilets at a footy match, then he has no idea who fans of the wests tigers are. Sitting in that shithole at homebush is what is less then adequate. He can claim money pushed him to homebush, but he has no right to say fans are unhappy with leichhardt. If a few fickle fans show up to leichhardt once in a while and don't show up enough to know the good places to park, then that's there own f***ing problem and our decisions certainly shouldn't be tailored to their needs. The corporate wankers who run our game need their luxury seats in a big fat arse stadium because they don't give a sh*t about the game, and it's a f***ing shame we have to suck their arses just to stay alive. I f***ing hate our administration.

Without the 'corporate wankers' you refer to, how do you hope to retain the services of players like Benji and Bronson ? Sure the atmosphere is great at the Den, it used to be fantastic at Lidcombe Oval too. Unless you can bottle this 'experience', and see if our stars coming of contract (or any potential signings) will accept it in lieu of Australian dollars, you'll have to go with Noyce's decision.

As for your deep hatred of the administration, does it stem from them making business decisions that will actually make us money ? Funny enough, you'll find successful clubs like the Dogs and the Broncos are prone to make these type of decisions all the time.

They have moved 4 extra games to a location 10 minutes from Leichhardt. If the team wins, don't worry buddy, the feeling will be great.

HOT028

Juniors
i wasunhappy at first but homebush is closer to me (on a selfish side) and as long as they are playing in sydney i will go and watch the boys run around for a top 4 spot, i just hope they dont still have a limit of 2 drinks per person like at the SOO. :lol: