What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's over Jamie Lyon not coming to us....

Juniors
Guess you only hope. But I have given up. We have Whaturia, Elford, Fitzhenry, Wilson and Halatau to cover centre next season though someone of Lyon's class would of been good.

uuem

Juniors
Who called the deal off Max , Lyon or WTs ?

Sounds suss if Lyon goes to England
1/Parramatta release Lyon to play in England
2/Now released from Parramatta contract Lyon informs English club that he is home sick and wants to return home to Wee Waa .
3/English club releases Lyon to Wee Waa.
4/Noel Cleal on a pig shooting expedition accidently runs into Lyon in the main st of Wee Waa .
5/ Cleal inquires if Lyon who is now without any contract would like to try out for Manly .
6/ Wee Waa release Lyon .

Tigerpete

Juniors
Hmmm?? thats dissapointing to say the least. Would've liked to see him come here obviously but if he's not playing here than i guess its good he wont be opposing us.

Stagger eel

Staff member
The English club concerned is apparently St Helens.

But why you a want a bloke with a heart the size of a pea is beyond me. He doesn't want to play for you guys he wants to play for that scum on Northern beaches.

This bloke has shafted his former club, team mates, supporters and even family and you want to see him represent your club? districts? and the Tigers jumper??...I thought you had more pride than that? give me a break.

Hurriflatch

Referee
Here is the story

Lucrative England move on cards for Lyon
By Greg Prichard
August 15, 2004
The Sun-Herald

Jamie Lyon is considering a mammoth offer to join English glamour club St Helens, whose chairman Eamonn McManus confirmed that the former Parramatta, NSW and Australian centre was at the top of their hit list.

St Helens have emerged as favourites to get Lyon's signature purely because of financial reasons. The English giant can afford to pay a fortune up front, while NRL clubs either don't have much money left under the salary cap or are only prepared to talk incentive deals.

The Sun-Herald understands that St Helens are prepared to pay $500,000 a year for Lyon, who is playing with home-town team Wee Waa in the Group 4 country competition in north-western NSW.

Lyon, who was on $250,000 a season with Parramatta and remains contracted to them until the end of 2006, walked out on the Eels after the first round of this season, citing a dislike of living in Sydney.

He eventually reached an agreement with Parramatta that allowed him to play for Wee Waa and recently it emerged that the Eels were prepared to release him to a non-Sydney club, citing the reason Lyon left Parramatta as justification for those terms.

That ruled out Manly, probably the only NRL club that would splash out to get the chunky star.

Wests Tigers were among the NRL clubs that were interested, but they were not in a position under the salary cap to pay Lyon a great deal for next year and would have had to scale the initial payment down and increase it in subsequent years.

Lyon's uncle and manager, Mick Smith,

is shopping Lyon around to NRL clubs at about $300,000 a season, but any club that signed him would have to pay an additional release fee of $150,000 to Parramatta.

Apart from salary cap concerns, there is a wariness among NRL clubs about Lyon because of the way he left Parramatta and his recent management merry-go-round, which saw Lyon dump Allan Gainey for Smith.

Parramatta are no longer having to pay him and Lyon is understood to be finding it tough to meet mortgage requirements.

St Helens are looking for a centre to replace Martin Gleeson, who was suspended by the English Rugby League for four months for his part in a betting scandal and released by the club.

magpiemax

Juniors
CULLUS.ONLINE said:
magpiemax said:
CULLUS.ONLINE said:
magpiemax said:

Ok max

your not telling us something arn't ya?!?!?!

lol
Not really mate,I just deleted what hurriflatch just posted regarding the sun-herald article,to show I was'nt bullsh*ting you guy's. :cry:

damn

had my hopes up there!
So did I, but when i rung yesterday I could tell by his voice that we did'nt get him.
Soon as he answered the phone I said "tell me the good new's"
He just said "uuummmm.......we got 2 point's this week because of the bye" :roll: :roll:
I said "gr8" :roll:

CULLUS.ONLINE

Juniors
magpiemax said:
CULLUS.ONLINE said:
magpiemax said:
CULLUS.ONLINE said:
magpiemax said:

Ok max

your not telling us something arn't ya?!?!?!

lol
Not really mate,I just deleted what hurriflatch just posted regarding the sun-herald article,to show I was'nt bullsh*ting you guy's. :cry:

damn

had my hopes up there!
So did I, but when i rung yesterday I could tell by his voice that we did'nt get him.
Soon as he answered the phone I said "tell me the good new's"
He just said "uuummmm.......we got 2 point's this week because of the bye" :roll: :roll:
I said "gr8" :roll:

hahahahah!!!!

As sad as that is.................. that puts a smile on my face!
Wohoooo! 2 points!

Tigerpete

Juniors
Oh well guys, at least we have Whatuira to add to our backline, he may not be a Lyon but he's still a good a player. If Lyon's driven by money then perhaps its not a bad thing we didnt get him?

magpiemax

Juniors
Tigerpete said:
Oh well guys, at least we have Whatuira to add to our backline, he may not be a Lyon but he's still a good a player. If Lyon's driven by money then perhaps its not a bad thing we didnt get him?
Don't know if it's my imagination or not,but every time i see Whatuira play he either never receives the ball or he just never seem's to get involved.

Tigerpete

Juniors
Well i've only really seen him play once in recent times , against the dogs and well he got showed up once or twice maybe even 3 times, so that wasnt so good to see but he's been in the 17 consistantly for the last 2 years so he's got the form on the board, just not so much of late.

mickyj

Bench
Sounds suss if Lyon goes to England
1/Parramatta release Lyon to play in England
2/Now released from Parramatta contract Lyon informs English club that he is home sick and wants to return home to Wee Waa .
3/English club releases Lyon to Wee Waa.
4/Noel Cleal on a pig shooting expedition accidently runs into Lyon in the main st of Wee Waa .
5/ Cleal inquires if Lyon who is now without any contract would like to try out for Manly .
6/ Wee Waa release Lyon .

Manly have not given up in Jamie for next season as yet.

Davester

Juniors
Oh well, sh*t happens. Not that bad not being able to sign a quality player like him. I knew it would all come down to money and had a funny feeling that it had nothing to do with the current club he's at, more of how much money he can milk out on a contract. We can only hope that our new centre Paul Whatuira will go well with the Tigers as of 2005. I got no problems with Elford, in my opinion I think he's pretty good so I'm still looking forward to next season and the rest of this season.

Thanks magpiemax for the news. I doubted what you said but in the end I knew you were right. Just never saw that one coming, Lyon to the ESL? I think a lot of people didn't see it coming!

Well I'm over it....