What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Its Time To Go...

Earl

Coach
Matty Hayden. I doubted whether who should have even been a part of this test series, but his form is abysmal.

Shaun Marsh could be doing just as good a job as him and earning himself alot of experience.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Gotta agree, at 37 he is past his best. Especially when you have guys like Jaques,Marsh and Dussey waiting in the wings.

TheParraboy

Staff member
id like to see him in another test or two
he hasnt played a lot of cricket of late

cant do much anyway with jaques injured

however in the near future id have no problems putting katich and Mhussey as openers
(whilst jacques is injured) and ease DHussey into the middle order.

im not convinced marsh is ready for test matches

Last edited:

aussies1st

Staff member
Deserves at least the test series to do something. He was in such good form before his injury, to throw him away after 3 failures 2 of which were dud calls would be way too harsh.

hayden has a mortgage on his spot ... never seems to come under fire but two bad games and gillespie is dropped into oblivion ...

Jono1987

Juniors
Hayden has had two dud calls and one slip up - somehow that deserves the sack? Okay. I tend to agree that Hayden is probably past his best, but then again I thought this in 2007 and then he went on and had a fantastic World Cup. He definitely deserves to see out this Test Series regardless of his individual results especially with Jacques injured. If he continues to add little to the scoreboard I wouldn't consider it a longshot that he would call it a day.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
He wont be dropped but I agree he is getting towards the end of his test career.

Jaques form in the Windies was fine but he's not to flash against spin.

Sean Marsh is the future, its just a matter of time.

The Gambler

Juniors
I'm certain Hayden wants to see out the test series at home before he retires. But like others have mentioned, if he scores no runs this series he may very well call it quites early.

Spike

First Grade
He'll keep his place to the end of this series at least while Jaques is injured. I wouldn't doubt that he'll announce his retirement after the Brisbane test.

aussies1st

Staff member
I'd like to bring in Pomersbach if we are going for youth. Hes got the x-factor like KP does and thats what we need atm.

Locky24

Juniors
I'd Like to See Brad Hodge Brought in to the Test Side somewhere.

He seems to Get alot of Centuries for Victoria in Sheffield Shield

HevyDevy

Coach
Deserves at least the test series to do something. He was in such good form before his injury, to throw him away after 3 failures 2 of which were dud calls would be way too harsh.

Yep, one of our greatest ever openers yet some people seem far too quick to call time on his career.

He has been out to one shocking call, one very dubious call and one bad shot in his three innings in India.

More importantly, given the number of experienced players the side has lost over the past 2 years, it's not the time to blood two many youngsters all at once.

TheParraboy

Staff member
I can see hayden scoring a triple ton vs a potent kiwi attack,

which of course will secure his place in the side for the SA tests

15 months without scoring a century playing 30 innings with a top score of 70 and only 4 half centuries without so much as having his spot put in question shows he will never be dropped

Latest posts