What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ivan Cleary ..

franklin2323

Immortal
We weren't fit enough to start the year you cant deny that and it does fall on the coach.

I will say Waqa Blakes drop off in form and speed was a lot more than not being fit enough, he went from one of the fastest in the league to about equal with Isaah Yeo in pace and IMO looked quite disinterested for a lot of his games for us this year. There were bigger problems than just fitness but not being fit is pretty f**king poor at this level. Good thing is it wont happen again, and the problems in the squad seem to have been worked out now with everyone on the same page it will make a big difference going forward.

DWZ and RCG both admitted to not liking footy last year. After both singing Ivan's praising in Pre Season. Not sure that is on the coach either.

Pomoz

Bench
So who did we have in the Australian team last year that Ivan has destroyed with his terrible coaching, fitness training etc?
Well, RCG and Mansour both played for Australia previously. Blake was on the fringe of SOO selection last year. You will note that I referred to three Australian teams. The 9's squad and junior Kangaroos were also announced. We couldn't even get a player in the junior Kangaroos.

franklin2323

Immortal
Well, RCG and Mansour both played for Australia previously. Blake was on the fringe of SOO selection last year. You will note that I referred to three Australian teams. The 9's squad and junior Kangaroos were also announced. We couldn't even get a player in the junior Kangaroos.

Mansour's issues were here before Ivan as was RCG

Blake is no where near SOO

Junior Roos is u23 now again Nathan plays if he is fit

We had 6 in this years u20 Origin so we would have some if the age was the same

Crashtest

Juniors
We weren't fit enough to start the year you cant deny that and it does fall on the coach.

I will say Waqa Blakes drop off in form and speed was a lot more than not being fit enough, he went from one of the fastest in the league to about equal with Isaah Yeo in pace and IMO looked quite disinterested for a lot of his games for us this year. There were bigger problems than just fitness but not being fit is pretty f**king poor at this level. Good thing is it wont happen again, and the problems in the squad seem to have been worked out now with everyone on the same page it will make a big difference going forward.

I think your spot on re Blake. I think releasing him was more about his attitude, lack of effort/interest, turning up late to training etc than just being about freeing up salary cap space.

Re players not being fit enough at the start of the season, I think that has been blown way out of proportion and not the reason the team had such a bad season.

franklin2323

Immortal
I think your spot on re Blake. I think releasing him was more about his attitude, lack of effort/interest, turning up late to training etc than just being about freeing up salary cap space.

Re players not being fit enough at the start of the season, I think that has been blown way out of proportion and not the reason the team had such a bad season.

I didn't rate our roster last year but the comp was weak we could of done better but the issues we had were issues we had over the past 3 years and winning would of just papered over the cracks

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade

I think the revelation of the sex tapes had a huge impact. Add that in and you get the beginning of a season we just had.

Dave's mate

Juniors
I think the revelation of the sex tapes had a huge impact. Add that in and you get the beginning of a season we just had.
Agree it did for sure but it's a bit of a shame really. Imagine how Des, Bennett or Bellamy would have used it to focus the squad with an "us v the world mentality"

betcats

Referee

I agree it had an impact, you look at the two clubs that had a player stood down for serous charges and we both had very poor years. That being said they are f**king professionals, some of our efforts early in the year were just woeful no matter what the excuse.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I agree it had an impact, you look at the two clubs that had a player stood down for serous charges and we both had very poor years. That being said they are f**king professionals, some of our efforts early in the year were just woeful no matter what the excuse.

I totally agree. Look at DWZ's games this year before he left. He was nothing short of embarrassing. Talk about throwing a tantrum like a toddler because he wasn't playing fullback. RCG was similar (although he was comming back from injury) Both players on high contracts then add in Blake, (tes I know he was injured) I believe attitude and work ethic lead to them being let go. Compare these players to blokes like Yeo who even though injured and oft not playing in his preferred positionm dug in and tried his guts out.

Here's hoping that 2020 is a much better year.

mxlegend99

Referee
I totally agree. Look at DWZ's games this year before he left. He was nothing short of embarrassing. Talk about throwing a tantrum like a toddler because he wasn't playing fullback. RCG was similar (although he was comming back from injury) Both players on high contracts then add in Blake, (tes I know he was injured) I believe attitude and work ethic lead to them being let go. Compare these players to blokes like Yeo who even though injured and oft not playing in his preferred positionm dug in and tried his guts out.

Here's hoping that 2020 is a much better year.
Maybe you should look at them... I can only imagine you're talking about Edwards with that description.

DWZ had 1 or 2 bad games and was mostly good aside from that despite being asked to jump between 3 positions before leaving. Compared to the likes of Edwards before being dropped, Mansour, Whare etc. he was nowhere near one of our worst.

You want to talk about acting like a toddler. How about the way you turn on every player who leaves us.

OldPanther

Coach
Maybe you should look at them... I can only imagine you're talking about Edwards with that description.

DWZ had 1 or 2 bad games and was mostly good aside from that despite being asked to jump between 3 positions before leaving. Compared to the likes of Edwards before being dropped, Mansour, Whare etc. he was nowhere near one of our worst.

You want to talk about acting like a toddler. How about the way you turn on every player who leaves us.

Yeah apart from his final game Dallin ALWAYS put in

I can't stand the re-writing of history and dumping on players when they leave.

betcats

Referee
Pretty clear Dallin was unhappy here for whatever reasons. He had a chance to make fullback his own and he couldn't do it, his form all year wasn't as bad as Alice made out but it wasn't good either.

To'o over Dallin is a no brainer, they could both be on 120k and id still take To'o, he is a better finisher, defender and does just as well breaking tackles and making metres. Dallin is taller and faster.

MugaB

Coach
Pretty clear Dallin was unhappy here for whatever reasons. He had a chance to make fullback his own and he couldn't do it, his form all year wasn't as bad as Alice made out but it wasn't good either.

To'o over Dallin is a no brainer, they could both be on 120k and id still take To'o, he is a better finisher, defender and does just as well breaking tackles and making metres. Dallin is taller and faster.
Agreed and To'o cuts through defenders like butter when he skips inside, against dragons and knights he brained them, DWZ kept running into Edwards

age.s

First Grade
Yeah apart from his final game Dallin ALWAYS put in

If anything he pushed too hard. Most of his bad moments were brain explosions that came from being so fired up. He didn't have a great year (and his last game was really embarrassing) but none of us know how much of it was not getting the fullback gig or something else entirely.

I like To'o over Dallin too, but both would have been ideal.

martielang

Bench
Dallin was also getting pushed out the door when his form/attitude dropped. I think people underestimate the mental impact it has on a professional player when they're told they're no longer required at the club & should look at other options. Especially a player who has been in the club system for 10+ years, has grown up locally & has a young family. If people think he suddenly just came to work one day & said 'I want to play fullback, I'm leaving' then you're way off the mark.

betcats

Referee
Agreed and To'o cuts through defenders like butter when he skips inside, against dragons and knights he brained them, DWZ kept running into Edwards

Yeah after looking at their stats for the year Brian is actually much better ball runner. Averaged 30 more running metres per game and had a lot more line breaks and tries than Dal, really impressive considering he is playing on the end of the least effective backline ive seen in a long time.

betcats

Referee
Dallin was also getting pushed out the door when his form/attitude dropped. I think people underestimate the mental impact it has on a professional player when they're told they're no longer required at the club & should look at other options. Especially a player who has been in the club system for 10+ years, has grown up locally & has a young family. If people think he suddenly just came to work one day & said 'I want to play fullback, I'm leaving' then you're way off the mark.

Except Dallin asked for a release, he didn't want to be here.

I think the sext apes were an issue for Dallin, it was reported there were different clicks in the side that weren't getting on. The week he got dropped out of the side Ivan was talking about our need to come together, after he got dropped we started winning. Either way Dallins attitude is on him, no one else.