What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ivan Henjak and the players..

ponies 4ever

Juniors
Matey, he may be young, but I.F has stood out wide and generally done little to involve himself while the team has struggled without Locky. At one stage Tronc hit the ball standing where a centre should play. The whole last couple of weeks since the Roosters has been shambolic, the side has talent, but sincerely lacks application and I believe that is where the average punter gets dirty on them. They are on seriously good coin to do what they supposedly love. To lose or miss the 8 is fine, but can anyone honestly sit there and say the side has really had a red hot dig of late ? Code Hopper peaves me as he has enormous talent but does the bare minimum to involve himself, which is a tragedy because his impact can be match-turning. 400k+ to ruck it out of dummy half, yeh he's crossed the chalk when we've run hot, but champions rise when their back is against the wall.........................HAIL KING LOCKYER !!

jaycee_17th

Juniors
You know what I'm sick of. I'm sick of whinging fans who blame and put shit on our players week in week out.

You can't win one every year. Wynnum haven't won one since 1995 and Cronulla have never won one. Stop the f**king bitching about the youngsters and perhaps support them when they're losing. Tough I know.

Nuff said.

Coz we Broncos fans chose not to settle for mediocrity and complacency I guess. We whinge coz we are losing, thats make us human. We'd at times say awful things about our coaches, admins and players out of frustration but at the end of day we stick with our team coz that what matters most. I personally think Ivan was just lucky last year, thou I admired (sarcasm?) his patience/impatience with players (e.g. Michaels, Taylor, Norman, Macca, Wallace, Josh, Sims, Setu) he's been pretty ordinary handling defeats. He's been saying the same things, even I got this feeling that he has given up on the players as well imo. Maybe he and co. just wanted to get the "finals run" thingy off of our shoulder to unload some pressure esp next year and incoming years so we can finally concentrate on being more successful. The truth is (thou dont think I really mean it) I'd rather have us miss the finals this year, than seein people bag us about having too much advantage being a "one city team" and owned by News Ltd. and all. Some people even consider us cheat which i think is absurd and unfair to the fans as well. ATM the only thing that scares me is our young guys not able to live up to the hype esp Im so looking forward for next year already, now with Greg coming in. Hope not.

Steve_oneskie

Juniors
It'll be interesting to see how Hunt and Norman go in the halves next week, i think this could be a really good combination because they can't rely on the more experienced Wallace to direct them. I think they may surprise a few people and really perform well.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Hope so. Norman just needs to get more involved. Nothing to lose next week as we need to beat the Raiders by 30+ (edit: 15+) to have a chance of making semis.

Last edited:

cornerposter

Juniors
What's become blatantly obvious is that when we got to the business end of the season our boys couldn't match it with the men. That's not a criticism, it's fact. We've looked physically weaker for a while now and Lockyer would not have helped that.
Personally, I've been impressed with the effort most weeks but when the opposition has played tough we couldn't go with them.

There'll be an improvement next year, but our best is probably two to three years away.

Henjack's choice of Norman at 5/8 has been in preparation for the future. CN is clearly the answer for life after Lockyer and Im excited about watching him develop.

Typical Bronco fans once again.
Typical f**kwit's comment

Dazzat

First Grade
Its called being mentally soft when things aren't going their way and no leader to inspire them.

Time for the boys to do another pre-season boot camp.

It's called inexperience!! Didn't you hear the commentators ... the Broncos are officially the youngest team in the competition. At the start of the year I thought making the finals was an absolute impossibility looking at our front row then of Kenny and Anderson.

Experience, experience, experience there's nothing to replace that. Also, you can't under-estimate the impact of Origin again ... Thaiday's been below his best since Origin.

Stop whinging and accept the fact that even the Broncos need a year of consolidation and blooding new players.

If you can't accept that once in 19 seasons I pity you.

Nevcost

Juniors
Kenny and Sims should have played or at least one of them, putting a 2nd rower in the front row against an intimidating forward pack is like putting up a white flag.

I would swear that the majority of our forward pack is french

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Won't the life after Lockyer be GI at 6?

I mean he has won a dally m for that position and a grand final.

Personally, I think GI will develop a MASSIVE kicking game.

Big Pete

Referee
Not a bad suggestion LAG but vibe about GI up here is he's nothing but a mercenary. When his contract is up, he'll probably head back to the Storm.

beads6

First Grade
in 2 years time Norman will be ready for the 6 IMO. GI will most likely chase the money after his next contract also.

badav

Bench
What do people on this forum expect. The Broncos are fielding the most inexperienced side in the comp. Last week aggregate all the first grade game experience 1-17 and it was 300 games less than the next least experienced side.

Come round 26 there's no way a bunch of 22 year olds are going to be able to compete at the same level as earlier in the season.

There were plenty of seasons in the past where the Broncos fielded a much stronger side, and although never missed the 8, came very close and fumbled into the 8 just to get bundled straight out.

Bennett never had a side to work with like the current one. They have done well to be in with at least an outside shot of the 8.

Steve_oneskie

Juniors
Well Said

I for one and (I believe there are a few others who) didn't originally expect the Broncos to make the 8, so i'm stoked that they still have a chance however slim.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Not a bad suggestion LAG but vibe about GI up here is he's nothing but a mercenary. When his contract is up, he'll probably head back to the Storm.

Not if he marries his girl who still working in Qld. I guess you Brisbane local fans need to show him some love and win his emotions over. Plus once Locky goes, there is enough coin around to keep any "merc" interested in staying.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Well Said

I for one and (I believe there are a few others who) didn't originally expect the Broncos to make the 8, so i'm stoked that they still have a chance however slim.

I don't think anyone can question that the Broncos have held their own quite well this season (up until three weeks ago). But the fans have every right to be upset about the last few weeks of footy, as the Broncos haven't really turned up. To be slaughtered by the Eels, Knights and Warriors is very disappointing as with all due respect these are not exactly the most difficult of opposition. Regardless of injury, to not even get close in any of these games is quite disappointing. Its like the Broncos have done all the hard yards just to throw it away.

Accepting what you expected is not really good enough for any professional sporting team.

Look at Souths, they are still battling on and being competitive in games and they have a way worse injury toll than us. The Broncos are usually quite good at handling adversity.

AuDragon

Juniors
The team's youth and inexperience is a major point and a valid reason for our inconsistency.
It does not however excuse Henjak from his poor decisions and inability to motivate the players group against adversity.

With such and inexperienced and young roster, you want to avoid changes and routine alterations as much as possible.
In the last few weeks, we've seen Gillett at 5/8, Te'o in the front row, Norman thrown into a team in disarray , just to mention the most obvious coaching blunders.

After Locky's injury, either put Norman as the only team change, or preferrably put Hunt in the halves with Wallace, but leave our best performing sector (2nd row) alone FFS. Yet, 2 of those players have been moved around unnecessarily. Not only are the positions they were moved into weakened, so were the positions they came from. Double whammy Ivan! :crazy:

The players have lacked motivation, enthousiasm and even pride in the last 3 rounds. Whose responsibility is it to make sure they run onto the paddock fired up and ready to fight for their jersey and eachother?