What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack Bird: "I wouldn't be here if I hadn't left the Dragons."

St Georgio

Juniors
He is so right, he would be playing for the cutters if he stayed, now he is representing NSW, he will play for Australia and win Cronulla there first comp, Well done Mary and Doust

hazzbeen

Bench
Thompson is about to re-sign a 2 year deal according to all reports. Happy with that.

Mann, as good as he has played last 2 games on the wing, is your answer to HB ?

Lets see how Bird goes before we do a DCE or Foran and throw "absurd money " at him.

This.......Plus give Mann a crack at HB or fullback he could be just what is needed . Tru this is or problem we dont try anything else even when we struggle , if they dont try they will never know ..... I know Mann had a shocker at fullback but I give him another go....

TruSaint

Referee
He is so right, he would be playing for the cutters if he stayed, now he is representing NSW, he will play for Australia and win Cronulla there first comp, Well done Mary and Doust

Glad you think so.

I doubt it.

Good talent.. very good. As to Aus standard / SOO ( lets see ), and winning a comp... premature at best.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Thompson is about to re-sign a 2 year deal according to all reports. Happy with that.

Yes unfortunately it looks as though we will be going into 2017 with a very similar squad. Nothing against Thompson I think he is a fantastic player but as the saying goes, do as you've always done you'll get what you've always gotten. Space needs to be made in order to throw some money around.

Mann, as good as he has played last 2 games on the wing, is your answer to HB ?

What's the alternative? There aren't a lot of genuine options available. Let's say we throw millions at Cronk for the last few seasons of his career (let's pretend we're actually a viable option for him for a moment) but that leaves no money left to buy players to build a team around.

Mann to halfback may not set the world on fire, and if he fails to fire then we look at the market to buy a genuine half once one becomes available.

Lets see how Bird goes before we do a DCE or Foran and throw "absurd money " at him.

Yes the wait and see approach has worked wonders for us the last few seasons, hasn't it!? That's the exact reason we lost him in the first place, now we're in a position where we're forced to break the bank just to bring him back when a simple opportunity in first grade would have sufficed.

Minh

First Grade
I'm one of the few who is of the opinion that Mc gregor can coach, he is as good as any of the other middle tier coaches IMO. The thing I am very critical of him is that he has failed to blood more juniors and not giving a kid like Jack a shot was just plain stupid.....I dont want to be like Newcastle with a team full of young players but surely there needs to be more opportunity for the young guns....

BringTheNoise

Juniors
I'm one of the few who is of the opinion that Mc gregor can coach, he is as good as any of the other middle tier coaches IMO. The thing I am very critical of him is that he has failed to blood more juniors and not giving a kid like Jack a shot was just plain stupid.....I dont want to be like Newcastle with a team full of young players but surely there needs to be more opportunity for the young guns....

I think the issue may have dated back as far as Steve Price. With the signings of Widdop, Marshall and Dugan there didn't seem to be any forward planning with regards to Bird. I'm not saying we didn't need those players at the time but there had to be a succession plan in place - these guys essentially roadblocked Bird and it was inevitable he would leave.

With regards to MacGregor there clearly was ample opportunity to give Bird a go in the centres. Not a single player that has played there in the last 2 seasons has justified their place over Bird.

TruSaint

Referee
Yes unfortunately it looks as though we will be going into 2017 with a very similar squad. Nothing against Thompson I think he is a fantastic player but as the saying goes, do as you've always done you'll get what you've always gotten. Space needs to be made in order to throw some money around.

Thommo deserves his spot.

What's the alternative? There aren't a lot of genuine options available. Let's say we throw millions at Cronk for the last few seasons of his career (let's pretend we're actually a viable option for him for a moment) but that leaves no money left to buy players to build a team around.

Mann to halfback may not set the world on fire, and if he fails to fire then we look at the market to buy a genuine half once one becomes available.

There are 8 -10 quality halves coming off contract for 2017. Mann is no half..

Yes the wait and see approach has worked wonders for us the last few seasons, hasn't it!? That's the exact reason we lost him in the first place, now we're in a position where we're forced to break the bank just to bring him back when a simple opportunity in first grade would have sufficed.

Understand your frustration. So what is our choice ? Pay overs for " maybes" .. In terms of Sydney clubs we re ahead of Souths, manly, Chooks, Parra, Tigers, etc etc ..

Give me break.

critise the club for many aspects, but lets be real.

Anyway to each his own.

Minh

First Grade
I think the issue may have dated back as far as Steve Price. With the signings of Widdop, Marshall and Dugan there didn't seem to be any forward planning with regards to Bird. I'm not saying we didn't need those players at the time but there had to be a succession plan in place - these guys essentially roadblocked Bird and it was inevitable he would leave.

With regards to MacGregor there clearly was ample opportunity to give Bird a go in the centres. Not a single player that has played there in the last 2 seasons has justified their place over Bird.

Good points BTN...

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Understand your frustration. So what is our choice ? Pay overs for " maybes" .. In terms of Sydney clubs we re ahead of Souths, manly, Chooks, Parra, Tigers, etc etc ..

Give me break.

critise the club for many aspects, but lets be real.

Anyway to each his own.

You genuinely consider Gillett, Holmes, Bird & Nikorima "maybes"? And as I stated, I think Thompson is a fantastic player, but refer to my post about buying players who will attract other quality players. Gillett certainly fits that mould. Thompson and Creagh are the only backrowers that can be moved on for next season. Gillett > Thompson.

And there was no criticism of the club in my post, I was talking about shaking up the roster and how I would go about doing it.

If you're happy to enter 2017 with pretty much the same roster we had this season then that's fine. Personally I want to get back to challenging for premierships, not fighting for 8th spot.

But as you said, each to their own.

TruSaint

Referee
You genuinely consider Gillett, Holmes, Bird & Nikorima "maybes"? And as I stated, I think Thompson is a fantastic player, but refer to my post about buying players who will attract other quality players. Gillett certainly fits that mould. Thompson and Creagh are the only backrowers that can be moved on for next season. Gillett > Thompson.

And there was no criticism of the club in my post, I was talking about shaking up the roster and how I would go about doing it.

If you're happy to enter 2017 with pretty much the same roster we had this season then that's fine. Personally I want to get back to challenging for premierships, not fighting for 8th spot.

But as you said, each to their own.

Read all my replies.

The players you mention will not join our club.. " Maybe's " means we have a shot at them.

We dont.

As to Bird, very good player.. agree.

He aint coming home at the minute so lets be real.

Am I happy with the status quo.. ? Nope.

But before I declare Sharks as premiers, or Niko / Gillett as season savers, lets see what eventuates.

Wasnt that long ago we had " Cronk " in the bank lol.

Anyway, I get your thought process and desire for success.

Good stuff. :)

BennyV

Referee

What evidence could possibly bring you to that conclusion?!?!

TruSaint

Referee
What evidence could possibly bring you to that conclusion?!?!

His post did.

He didnt suggest that Mary is the answer / messiah, and I for one agree. He also based his analysis and critique on Mary being unwilling to blood new talent.. To which I agree.

I have called or Marys replacement, but for the 100th time... by who ?

Toovey / Cleary have been often mentioned.

Are either willing to take on the role ? Toovey is now entrenched in the media ( apparently vey content), and Cleary is no saviour.

BennyV

Referee
His post did.

He didnt suggest that Mary is the answer / messiah, and I for one agree. He also based his analysis and critique on Mary being unwilling to blood new talent.. To which I agree.

I have called or Marys replacement, but for the 100th time... by who ?

Toovey / Cleary have been often mentioned.

Are either willing to take on the role ? Toovey is now entrenched in the media ( apparently vey content), and Cleary is no saviour.

No, it didn't. There's no evidence in the post at all! In fact, there's only evidence to suggest that he isn't competent!

And again, other competent coaches who are willing or not to sign are irrelevant to the topic. Take everyone else put of the picture, what evidence is there that Mary is a competent coach? Any statistics? Evidence of improvement of the squad across the board or individually? Some sort of groundbreaking structure of football? What is it?

Or is his definition of 'can coach' what is different?

TruSaint

Referee
No, it didn't. There's no evidence in the post at all! In fact, there's only evidence to suggest that he isn't competent!

And again, other competent coaches who are willing or not to sign are irrelevant to the topic. Take everyone else put of the picture, what evidence is there that Mary is a competent coach? Any statistics? Evidence of improvement of the squad across the board or individually? Some sort of groundbreaking structure of football? What is it?

Or is his definition of 'can coach' what is different?

Yep its different.

Mary does NOT control recruitment. That should satisfy part of your argument. Refer to his appointment. He does NOT have control of recruitment. Lets keep it on topic.

Are we better than the Price days ? I would say yes... but then that would be accepting mediocrity.

Is our squad better than 2-3 years ago ? I would say yes.

Do we need a revamp ( commercially and structure wise ), to get us to the next level ? Yes.

WE still shit on most Sydney Clubs this year , and have a crack at playing in September... I know... very sad as we should be playing in October.

Latest posts