What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack Bird

aqua_duck

Coach
With Bird I think he will come back but I don't think it would be unreasonable to think he's probably not going to be the same player again. As an outside back these knee injuries are going to have an effect on his speed and agility moving forward but perhaps more significant is the psychological impact, doing the same knee twice he's going to have some sort of apprehension/fear every time he steps off the leg you would think

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Back to back ACLs destroyed Campo and Zillman. I feel for the bloke.

At least he is young and has another year on a fat contract to give it go.

King hit

Coach
It's really unfortunate that Bird will never reach his potential. He awesome for the Sharks in 2016.

DeeJ

Bench

The problem is that Bird has an arthritis condition which always destined him for a shorter playing career. I've also read the risk of injury is very high and increases each year.

I don't know why the Broncos ever bought him in the first place when this was common knowledge and he didn't have a position in our team. I wonder if there is a case for medical retirement. We could use the salary cap relief to pay out Darius' final year as well.

betcats

Referee
The problem is that Bird has an arthritis condition which always destined him for a shorter playing career. I've also read the risk of injury is very high and increases each year.

I don't know why the Broncos ever bought him in the first place when this was common knowledge and he didn't have a position in our team. I wonder if there is a case for medical retirement. We could use the salary cap relief to pay out Darius' final year as well.

Yeah his klarthritis is serious and has been well known, he was getting needles just to train at the sharks and he had to stop playing completely at 16/17 because of it

Xcalibre

Juniors
Devastating news for Jack. To prepare the whole offseason and be so close to playing round 1, and then suffering a season-ending injury must be heartbreaking.

Blake Lazarus was one from the Tigers who had a similar issue. Played 4 games over two seasons in the 20s where he looked a top prospect. By the time he came back he had lost a yard of pace and a lot of agility, played a few games in the NRL but did not hit the heights he could have.

Agree that Bird has a good contract and enough of a resume that someone will punt on him if he struggles in 2021

AJB1102

First Grade
True he has an option in his favour to extend his hefty contact for 2021?

Love Birdy for 2016 and feel for the bloke. He's obviously a trooper to make NRL, more so when you consider the extra hurdles he overcome.

Gotta be Broncos worst signing doesn't it? Sharks offered I think biggest deal they'd offered and Broncs beat it apparently. He's played 17 games in 2 seasons and you can probably make that 3 seasons now.

TheFrog

Coach
True he has an option in his favour to extend his hefty contact for 2021?

Love Birdy for 2016 and feel for the bloke. He's obviously a trooper to make NRL, more so when you consider the extra hurdles he overcome.

Gotta be Broncos worst signing doesn't it? Sharks offered I think biggest deal they'd offered and Broncs beat it apparently. He's played 17 games in 2 seasons and you can probably make that 3 seasons now.
How desperate do you have to be to get a player to give him an option in his favour?

Reactions: Vee

simmo05

Bench
It doesn't matter what you think of bird, he has had a shit go. Hope he retires and makes a go of it

AJB1102

First Grade
How desperate do you have to be to get a player to give him an option in his favour?

I think Wayne really likes shitting in a club's cereal before he leaves.

Good luck, souffs. He's already appointed Demetriou his successor, just like did Henjak, Price and whoever he left to drown in shit at Newcastle.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
One of the worst signings in history - only because of his injuries. So much talent though so I am quite sad for the chap, no doubt he will be going through it.

Wayne, of course, has tendencies to sign players on emotions.

kit66

Bench
Bird is the epitome of determination. The arthritis alone would have stopped most people and he has all the injury woes on top of that but just keeps trying. Poor kid.

davi

Juniors

Jack Bird said if the Broncos offer didn't come he would have signed with the Knights. Some Sharks fans were filthy at the time. But I always felt Bird and the Broncos were a bad fit from the get go. I never understood what Wayne's Bennett's logic was signing him.

I don't even understand Bird logic signing with the Broncos apart from cash. I'm pretty sure he was leaving the Sharks because he wanted to play five-eighth. He never was really given a crack and ended up playing centre in the limited time he has played with us anyway. And if he had stayed with the Sharks it may have happened with James Maloney leaving if he had stayed healthy.

Latest posts