What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack bird??

possm

Coach
Bird to lock may work but where does De Belin fit in? If Sims is staying for season 2022, and we have recruited Molo, Burgess as props, and props Lawrie, Alvaro, J Hunt, Kerr, McGuire, and Faamausilt are still in our squad, then WHERE DOES DE BELIN FIT IN?

Last edited:
I hope Jack’s body handles the additional physicality of playing in the middle in defence.

I think he would be better utilised at second row on the edge of the ruck in attack and defence.

He needs to work on both his stamina and speed to start in 2022.

Old Timer

Coach
Debellin, after Simms goes , will be our second highest paid player. Still dont understand why we quickly increased his pay when he was out for 2 years. It certainly doesn't fit with the raft of signings made after this upgrade ( caped at no greater than 600k ? ) so perhaps this decision was made by others?
Yes it is a question that I would love to know the answer to.
Amazing how we paid overs.

Old Timer

Coach
Lock makes sense but I don't get the bit about Jack Bird being back-up 5/8. Isn't that why we bought Mbye?
I think the inference is that Jack's ball playing would allow him to play lock like being a 2nd 5/8 and if push came to shove he can fill in at 5/8.

Indeed we did buy Mybe for cover but that also includes 1, 7, 9 and if he was to be filling in there who would cover 6?

I suppose if JDB can handle the physical side of playing prop he could play the James Graham style ball playing front rower. With Bird at lock and even Molo can throw a pass we’d have a pretty versatile pack. But yes ..... compensating on size obviously. Horses for courses maybe depending on opposition ?

Wolfgang90

Juniors
I suppose if JDB can handle the physical side of playing prop he could play the James Graham style ball playing front rower. With Bird at lock and even Molo can throw a pass we’d have a pretty versatile pack. But yes ..... compensating on size obviously. Horses for courses maybe depending on opposition ?

imo we've invested in JDB and he's had years of experience playing the ball playing lock role. Having both of them playing the same role reduces their effectiveness. You also need strong powerful ball runners to support the ball playing locks. Prefer the balance with JDB at lock and 2 strong props. Bird won't be able to play 80mins at lock either, at most 50-60mins. You could try to stagger JDB and Bird mins at prop/lock but it would be complicated.

Gareth67

First Grade
Should Griffin actually decide to go with Bird at lock I would be OK with it - but only if he has S’ua , JDB and Simms in the same pack and also Molo .

Each of those players can tackle and tackle hard , their combined defensive efforts is what will put the Dragons just about on par with the other teams pig packs .

possm

Coach
We now have enough size and depth in the front row. De Beline and Sims are our best back-row forwards and so, we should think very carefully before moving them up front.

We now have enough size and depth in the front row. De Beline and Sims are our best back-row forwards and so, we should think very carefully before moving them up front.
Yeah I’m just reading what Hook is saying and wondering if they might split minutes at lock with JDB playing longer minutes than Bird and moving up front just to give others a rest 🤷‍♂️ It’s a tricky one and agreed I wouldn’t mess with it too much.