What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack Bird

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
675K for an injury prone centre that hasn't played football for a season?
Its a massive NO for me.
In a position of centre; Lomax, Feagai x2, Wiliame, SSE. Fullback; Dufty, Ramsey, Schiller, Sloan and Lomax. And 6/7; Sullivan, Hunt, Norman, Clune, Amone and the possibility of Lomax or Dufty maybe playing 6 imo in a pinch I don’t think we really need to take a hit to our cap in these positions just because we can. If we got him super cheap I’d try him at 5/8 other than that I’d prefer to either spend all the money on forwards or go all out on Matt Burton to partner Sullivan long term but I think they see Amone as that man long term.

blacksafake

First Grade
Listening to kevvie on the BSB this morning saying the decision was in Birds hands & he thinks there’ll be an outcome in the next week.

possm

Coach
Listening to kevvie on the BSB this morning saying the decision was in Birds hands & he thinks there’ll be an outcome in the next week.
On this occasion I agree with Kevie. Bird should take some responsibility for his devalued price in the market. Brisane are willing to take a cut, the Dragons are will to pay a substantial salary and Bird should cut his price to match the market.

I have said for a long time that when a player wants to leave mid-term of his contract or when a club wants a player to leave because of non-performance, no matter the reason for this, then there needs to be compromise from all sides of the deal.

Just terminate the contract with the losing club paying an agreed sum of money directly to Bird and Bird signing a new contract at an agreed salary with the Dragons. In this case I would say:

• Brisbane paying Bird 400k on termination of the contract.
  • Saints signing Bird at 500k p/a over two years is a fair price.
It seems that Bird is trying to extract a little more than both clubs are willing to pay, so it is up to him and his manager to meet the market or spend the next two years in reserve grade.

Dragons4lyf95

Juniors
I say you are right but it would not surprise me if another club other than Saints will pick him up.

I doubt another club will offer the same as what we have offered for him. Other clubs are probably more likely to go in for the steal after his two years with us..

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Just remember that Griffin has come out wanting Bird in the squad. So if he does sign and all goes to $hite, watch how Millward will cop the blame.

If you are going to buy a player like Bird on potential (like Saints did with Norman), then they should take a punt on Bryce Cartwright as I am sure he will come much cheaper than Bird. Personally I would not take a risk on any of them but if I had a choice of Bird or Bryce I would go for Bryce only because of the $$. Paying over 600k is ridiculous for Bird. I think Saints can probably get Bryce for 300-400k and maybe offer 1 year (with an extension of another in the clubs favour) only to see how he goes.

Gareth67

First Grade
Just remember that Griffin has come out wanting Bird in the squad. So if he does sign and all goes to $hite, watch how Millward will cop the blame.

If you are going to buy a player like Bird on potential (like Saints did with Norman), then they should take a punt on Bryce Cartwright as I am sure he will come much cheaper than Bird. Personally I would not take a risk on any of them but if I had a choice of Bird or Bryce I would go for Bryce only because of the $$. Paying over 600k is ridiculous for Bird. I think Saints can probably get Bryce for 300-400k and maybe offer 1 year (with an extension of another in the clubs favour) only to see how he goes.

Although I have been against signing him because of the cloud over the true state of the mans injuries I am starting to warm to the idea , as long as we don’t spend too much on him .

Griffin can see something in him , so he must believe that he can get him playing some good footy once again .

If he is injury free and and actually gives the Dragons his best , then he would be a good purchase. His experience is just what our younger players are calling out for .

redv13

Bench
No exaggeration Bird was a major reason Sharkies won in 2016. He was magic for sharks particularly at 5/8.

If we can pick him up at around $ $450k a season for two seasons it may be worth the risk.

He is a very good player.
There’s no doubt that he has the talent, that’s unquestionable. The problem is with his 3 serious injuries back to back over the last 3 yrs. Plus he has his arthritis issues. Will this effect him before he hits 30??? At the end of the day I’m not keen but I’m also just a supporter. I’ll leave it up to the coach who is willing to put his knackers on the line for him.

ALSGI

Bench
No exaggeration Bird was a major reason Sharkies won in 2016. He was magic for sharks particularly at 5/8.

If we can pick him up at around $ $450k a season for two seasons it may be worth the risk.

He is a very good player.
Agree.
Except I’d say he WAS a very good player.
Would love to see him get fit, well and firing with us if he is signed. Still young, should be in his prime especially with his experience but gee wiz what a massive huge risk.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Say NO to J Bird
He is simply too big a risk to a club like SGI who desperately need to get signing and the salary cap right.
We cant afford risks like this.

Absolutely right- we've had high priced, low value for money performance disappointments in Hunt and Norman- the last thing we need is a medical disaster like Bird. He's had two ACL issues with the one knee plus sternum and shoulder injuries at Brisbane. He'd be taking Corticosteroids for his Rheumatoid Arthritis which damage soft tissue. His body is a time bomb.

BLM01

First Grade
Absolutely right- we've had high priced, low value for money performance disappointments in Hunt and Norman- the last thing we need is a medical disaster like Bird. He's had two ACL issues with the one knee plus sternum and shoulder injuries at Brisbane. He'd be taking Corticosteroids for his Rheumatoid Arthritis which damage soft tissue. His body is a time bomb.
Maybe all true..but all clubs have medicos advising them. Saints would not sign him if at anyway they thought he would just break down straight away and leave em stranded without a Plan B not after what the last 3 years have produced for him.
new injuries etc yeh you cant predict...but if you say it is due to his ongoing medication then he would not get a contract anywhere and would be medically retired by now.

possm

Coach
I'd imagine that Griffin would consult with the Club doctors prior to signing Bird. A tough pre-season should tell all.

possm

Coach
I'd be very surprised if Griffin intends to recruit Bird and retain Norman and Hunt in the 2021 squad. So the big questions are:
  • What are Griffin's plans for Norman and Hunt?
  • Who is Griffin got in mind to replace Frizell?
  • Who will replace De Belin if he becomes unavailable?
  • Which position will Bird play if he is indeed recruited by Griffin?
  • Will Ransey play fullback or wing?
  • Will Ravalawa play on the right wing?
  • Who will be our halves for season 2021?
  • Who else has Griffin got in mind to recruit?

Last edited:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
No exaggeration Bird was a major reason Sharkies won in 2016.
Well, that and:

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Maybe all true..but all clubs have medicos advising them. Saints would not sign him if at anyway they thought he would just break down straight away and leave em stranded without a Plan B not after what the last 3 years have produced for him.
new injuries etc yeh you cant predict...but if you say it is due to his ongoing medication then he would not get a contract anywhere and would be medically retired by now.

Exactly- we're the only club which seems to be seriously knocking on his door. I feel really sorry for the bloke but he just doesn't seem to have the body for contact sports. The medical opinion is likely to be in the form of a likelihood of further significant injury to his twice injured knee- it will then be up to the club to weigh up the likelihood of that outcome against the price they are being asked to pay.

My argument is that his whole body is at risk for the reasons already given.

Well, that and:
As much as you, and your sycophants, think this may be amusing, I seriously hope the two court cases that will be happening soon do not denigrate your club. For if even one of them happens, you will be forever known as the "Rapers", and not within the context of the player you stole off Newtown.
Personally, if someone was to make a bad mark on my club, i'd much rather it be damage to themselves than to inflict it on others.
Each to their own I suppose.

Latest posts