Jack Cogger signs two year deal with Bulldogs, seeking immediate release

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights' started by Burns, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Spot On

Spot On Coach

With Hodko possibly going as well I see no reason to let Cogger move unless there is adequate compensation.

2. Old dog

Old dog Juniors

Agreed, Hodko wasn't showing enough last season, past his peak, Cogger is young, will get even better, good fill in in case SOO or injury and him staying for 2018 gives a chance to assess other halfs in squad or look for someone for 2019 and beyond.

3. Still Nutty

Still Nutty Juniors

With Manly and Cronulla chasing Hodko, we would be stupid to think Cogger doesn't fulfil a serious depth role for us this year.

Unless it is directly aligned with a swap for Morris, there is no way we should let Cogger go before the end of this season

4. Yosh

Yosh First Grade

If Cogger and Hodko do leave, aren't we super bare in the halves?

5. perverse

perverse Referee

Lamb, Phythian and Jack Johns would become our "depth". Ponga at a pinch I suppose too. Not exactly the stellar depth we have there now, but we'd probably get through.

6. Still Nutty

Still Nutty Juniors

That's my concern, particularly if Pearce retains his SoO spot for NSW - if Hodko goes (the more likely scenario) then Cogger needs to be here for all of 2018.

Truth is, there is no plus side to us letting Cogger go unless there is some clear value in a player swap for us as part of the deal - Knights have done all the investment in him to this point, carried him through his periods of injury(which is fine but it was an impost on the club), I suspect he is on minimal $$ that has seen him already paid 50% up front as I understand it, the Reggies squad is a strong squad capable of going deep into the 2018 competition so why would we weaken that team, we need depth, we owe the Bulldogs zilch and the list goes on

7. Old dog

Old dog Juniors

Surely the halfs situation is also clearly seen by coaching staff and no release of Cogger will happen.
    I do have a funny sneaky feeling that should Hodko deal(s) fall through that Cogger might be let go. I hope not as at this stage I think Cogger is a better proposition even in the short term.
    I did read somewhere that the situation of releasing Cogger would be made after the season has been going for a while.

8. Bring it home Knights

Bring it home Knights First Grade

Even if we lose cogger and hodko that means that we'll still have three players to go into two positions, which should be enough.

Does anyone have info on how Jack Johns goes in the halves?

I could live with cogger and hodko going as long as jack johns is a player of talent.

My ideal scenario would be to get some money for Hodko and to release cogger and get a player swap with the bulldogs.

Coby likes this.
  9. Old dog

Old dog Juniors

Don't think player swap is an option this late, Cogger and Hodko are a 7 where Johns is more a 6. If lose both Cogger and Hodko then we have no cover for Pearce, injury or SOO. Sure Lamb can cover but any other situation makes it a problem, it is absolutely essential to keep either Cogger or Hodko and based on style, fitness and potential if only keeping one it must be Cogger.

10. slotmachine

slotmachine Bench

Watson is second choice fullback, so an injury to ponga and Pearce on rep duty has cogger in firsts

11. Old dog

Old dog Juniors

You have to include Meaney in all that but yes Cogger is still important for 2018.

12. NoSchitSherlock

NoSchitSherlock Juniors

I'd include Pythian too.

13. slotmachine

slotmachine Bench

He's had 20 minutes of nrl and three knee surgeries in the last 18 months...

macavity likes this.
  14. Knight76

Knight76 Juniors

Johns is a talent no doubt, but he isn't ready for first grade yet.

We have rushed enough players through the system to 1st grade, let's leave Johns to develop under the radar a bit.

15. Pedge1971

Pedge1971 First Grade

Cogger getting half a game in the trial tomorrow. Brownie has learnt from the Tapine incident and keeping the kid warm. Some good interviews on the Knights website.

16. NoSchitSherlock

NoSchitSherlock Juniors

I normally wouldn't rate him enough for a mention but Brown seems impressed with Meaney as an outsider back up

17. Old dog

Old dog Juniors

Meaney's last two seasons have been good, u20 & reserves, not sure why he is not rated higher, played every week as f/b but when we had problems in 1sts at f/b he didn't get a run yet we tried many others.

NoSchitSherlock likes this.
  18. Belly007

Belly007 Juniors

I agree that the Knights are well within their rights to not release Cogger. At the end of the day, the Knights are in the business of winning football games, and as such, why should we release a player from a contract early, if we have no reason to do so?