What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack Wighton

Tigers Tale

Juniors
Does anyone know the status of Jack Wighton so far as his contract with the Raiders? I have been watching this guy for some time and I think he would be a great addition to our side...if he is available of course.

This guy is able to sniff out a try and the thing that has impressed me most is his defence. He is solid and he hurts when he tackles...

Any thoughts or knowledge on his availablility?

Perth Tiger

Bench
I think 15 other clubs would think the same thing, there is no way Canberra would let him go. We would probably have more chance trying to get Edrick or Branko Lee both of who are centres but probably won't get a chance at the raiders given there depth in the centres

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
They'd be useless here behind the current pack.

No point buying an F1 spoiler to fit onto a turtle

BrotherJim05

Bench
Yeah I agree with MU, no point signing anyone untill we get solid depth in our pack. First item on the agenda should be a premier prop

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
besides, Both Lawrence and Ayshford are better than Wighton.

Some people don't seem to understand that a good pack is far more important than good backs.

Sharks made the finals last year with Ben Pomeroy, Matt Wright, Stewart Mills, John Williams, Isaac Gordon, Nathan Stapleton etc as their backs.

Just think about that.

Perth Tiger

Bench
Yeah I agree that forwards are a priority. However if we have the option to get a premier or potential premier outside back I would expect the club to at least try and sign them. Particularly as it seems that most of the top line forwards have already been taken off the market

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
We don't need top line forwards, just blokes with size who can tackle and do hit ups.

We don't want or need ball playing back rowers.

Once we have a capable pack with good go forward you'll be reminded of just how great Ayshford and Lawrence are.

Our current pack would make Inglis look out of form.

BrotherJim05

Bench
I have always like Ayshford. He's not super fast but he is a solid defender and can make a line break and tackle bust.

Lawrence is done. He misses too many tackles, can't run for shit, can't contest a ball and gets injured way too often. He is definitely not worth the 300k a year they are paying him. FMD he would need to do a complete 180 with his form.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
I have always like Ayshford. He's not super fast but he is a solid defender and can make a line break and tackle bust.

My biggest problem with Ayshford is that he can't pass.

As you say, he's not quick either, and I tend to think he makes more half breaks than anything else. He's not very explosive at all.

moller

Juniors
I don't really have much issue with Ayshford - he's pretty solid without being spectacular, and shouldn't really be on much $$ (though he's probably on $600k knowing our lot). No issue with keeping him on long term if the money is good. He more than pulled his weight in 2010/11 when we were knocking on the door.
The other side is our concern right now.

simmo1

First Grade
Kevin Naiqama from Newcastle could potentially be a good value buy. He can't get a run at Newcastle but to me looks pretty good every time he plays. Seems to play mainly wing but I reckon he'd go alright at centre, even fullback, too.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Kevin Naiqama from Newcastle could potentially be a good value buy. He can't get a run at Newcastle but to me looks pretty good every time he plays. Seems to play mainly wing but I reckon he'd go alright at centre, even fullback, too.

Penrith have signed him.

Every other shit team has bought players except us. Just what the f**k are we doing? Waiting for all the decent players to be signed by other clubs?

moller

Juniors
Penrith have signed him.

Every other shit team has bought players except us. Just what the f**k are we doing? Waiting for all the decent players to be signed by other clubs?

Who would want to join the sinking ship at Concord?
We're in such a state that we'll have to pay overs for players, and we've got f**k all space anyway due to rubbish cap management.

simmo1

First Grade
Penrith have signed him.

Wes plays for Penrith but his younger brother Kevin is still at Newcastle and, imo, is a much better player.

Wes would be the sort of player Sheens would buy lol.