What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jai Arrow Signs

callmack1

Staff member
Jai Arrow signs a four-year contract until at least the end of 2024: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...year-contract-until-at-least-the-end-of-2024/

It's official!!! Absolutely stoked to now have it 100% confirmed so we can now celebrate! What a fantastic signing honestly. This is the kind of signing that can seal the future of our club for years to come!! Stoked!!

However, I am now a bit concerned that we won't be getting him for 2020. To me, the fact that he's been officially announced for 2021 might mean that we've given up hope of getting him here for 2020 and we may have to wait. Still so happy to have it confirmed but it'll be a real bummer if we can't get him for this year. What does everyone else reckon?

callmack1

Staff member
Early Arrow release Souths' priority as Mitchell clears one more contract hurdle : https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/01/05...ll-leave-of-absence-from-pre-season-training/

Rabbitohs put Mitchell on hold as they target early Arrow release: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ar...hs-on-four-year-contract-20200106-p53p6y.html

These articles give me a bit of hope that we can still get Arrow for this year. God, I hope we can!! I'd say we'd be doing everything in our power to make it happen. These articles also seem to indicate that Latrell isn't a done deal at Souths just yet. Our main focus is Arrow and to be honest, that's probably the way it should be. So do we think it will happen guys? Do you think we can get him for 2020?

Rabbits20

Immortal
Early Arrow release Souths' priority as Mitchell clears one more contract hurdle : https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/01/05...ll-leave-of-absence-from-pre-season-training/

Rabbitohs put Mitchell on hold as they target early Arrow release: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ar...hs-on-four-year-contract-20200106-p53p6y.html

These articles give me a bit of hope that we can still get Arrow for this year. God, I hope we can!! I'd say we'd be doing everything in our power to make it happen. These articles also seem to indicate that Latrell isn't a done deal at Souths just yet. Our main focus is Arrow and to be honest, that's probably the way it should be. So do we think it will happen guys? Do you think we can get him for 2020?
I’m very nervous about all this bro, a lot hinges on how we are looking and our title hopes for 2020.

So the wait goes on, I dunno how much longer I can bare. Yes bro I’ve been told the club is working very hard on Arrow still behind the scenes!

Tbh I actually can’t think too straight right now, I just want it so bad bro and @Souths Till I Die

Rabbits20

Immortal
Jai Arrow signs a four-year contract until at least the end of 2024: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...year-contract-until-at-least-the-end-of-2024/

It's official!!! Absolutely stoked to now have it 100% confirmed so we can now celebrate! What a fantastic signing honestly. This is the kind of signing that can seal the future of our club for years to come!! Stoked!!

However, I am now a bit concerned that we won't be getting him for 2020. To me, the fact that he's been officially announced for 2021 might mean that we've given up hope of getting him here for 2020 and we may have to wait. Still so happy to have it confirmed but it'll be a real bummer if we can't get him for this year. What does everyone else reckon?
I’m happy of course but a bit deflated that at this stage it remains for 21 onwards, Titans sure are playing hard ball.

Travitoh

First Grade
As much as i would like to see Arrow at Souths for 2020, i find the fact he doesn't seem to be trying to force the move encouraging in terms of his professionalism and personality.
Whether it's 2020 or 2021 that he joins, Souths are getting a good one here.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Make of this what you will.

Holbrook says Rabbitohs-bound Arrow staying put in 2020: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/01/07/holbrook-says-rabbitohs-bound-arrow-staying-put/
What’d you make if it all bro, if we let AJ go to Wests can we get Arrow here for 2020?

Or do you think what Holbrook says is true and that the Titans will keep digging their heels in?

If rumours are true and Arrow wants out sooner he should tell them so! Who knows maybe he has and we just dunno.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I wouldn’t say he clearly indicates he wants to come now, but yeah I got that impression too and he said he doesn’t know whose colours he will be in and that let’s just see what happens....... he stuttered a bit too.

My gut tells me he wants out now!

Jai also said let’s see what happens over the next week or two, so after listening to that I’m even more confident we have our man for 2020. @Souths Till I Die @callmack1 @Travitoh @handyman2190.

@Mascot Spy once again has nailed it all.

callmack1

Staff member
After listening to that, I feel that he wants to come now too. He pretty much said that he won't kick stones if he has to stay at the Titans so that to me sounds like he wants to come. I could be wrong but hopefully not.

At the end of the day, I think it's all up to the Titans themselves.

callmack1

Staff member
From the Courier Mail,

Jai Arrow opens up on his difficult decision to quit the Titans

The deal is struck, the contract agreed – the only thing left to be sorted is when Jai Arrow will swap the Gold Coast for South Sydney. But it wasn’t an easy decision for the Titans forward.

Jai Arrow broke down in tears telling the Gold Coast Titans he was joining South Sydney and says it’s for others to decide if he will arrive at Redfern this season.

Arrow has inked a four-year deal worth $3.2 million with the Rabbitohs to reunite with coach Wayne Bennett from 2021.

But the Queensland Origin star could be headed south sooner if the Titans and Rabbitohs reach an agreement for Arrow to be released from the Gold Coast immediately.

In his first interview since signing with Souths, Arrow said it was not his call to decide which jersey he will be wearing for the 2020 NRL season.

“I’ve already made one of the toughest decisions of my life and I don’t want that one hanging over me,” Arrow told The Courier-Mail.

“I’m still contracted to the Titans this year. It wouldn’t be weird for me to stay – I get along with the coaching staff, club and players.

“I love the Titans, I won’t be unhappy if I stay. If the club wants me to stay I’m not going to kick stones. But I won’t be filthy if they decide they want to move me on.

“I don’t want to make that decision. I’d rather let that work itself out.

Arrow, 24, agonised over his future for more than three months as he received huge offers from the Rabbitohs and Wests Tigers along with the Titans’ proposal to keep him.

Arrow made his NRL debut under Bennett at the Brisbane Broncos in 2016 before moving to the Titans from 2018, where he has played 38 games and become a Maroons representative.

A proud Gold Coast product, Arrow said he never envisaged leaving the Titans until the Rabbitohs presented a compelling case for him to head south.

Rabbitohs boss Shane Richardson flew to the Gold Coast to meet with Arrow while Bennett made numerous phone calls to secure his signature.

“They really fought for me – they really wanted me down there,” he said.

“Ever since I left the Broncos, Wayne always said to me he wanted to get me back. He got the opportunity to do that and I felt I owed him a bit as well.

“Not taking anything away from Justin (Holbrook, Titans coach), he’s been doing a great job with us, but Wayne always said he wanted to get me back and he fought for me. He was a factor.

“They told me where they saw me there. They told me all the right things and really sold it to me.

“I’m very grateful to join such a proud club and one with such great history but it’s devastating I have to leave a club I hold so close to my heart.

“I’m excited about it, don’t get me wrong, but also very sad I’ll have to leave my home town.”

The Titans have been criticised for their handling of the Arrow negotiations after refusing to get into a bidding war for one of their best players.

The Rabbitohs trumped the Titans’ offer by at least $500,000, but Arrow said he felt the Gold Coast wanted to retain him.

“They said ‘we love you, we want to keep you here’. I didn’t feel unloved by them, they wanted to keep me,” Arrow said.

“Football doesn’t last forever. I’ve always said this is where I’m from and I’ll most likely end up here after my career.

“I’m very excited for the next chapter. It gets me out of my comfort zone.”

Holbrook took the Titans away for a pre-season camp in Coffs Harbour from December 18-21.

The players had their phones confiscated to encourage them to bond.

For Arrow, it was four days where he didn’t have to agonise about making the biggest decision of his life.

When he returned, Arrow gave himself two days to make a decision and on December 23 informed the Titans he would be leaving to join South Sydney from 2021-24.

“I called Justin, Mal (Meninga, recruitment chief) and Dennis (Watt, chairman) to tell them what my decision was and all three phone calls I was balling my eyes out,” Arrow said.

“It was hard for me. I’ve made a decision to leave somewhere I’m very comfortable at and have grown so fond of the club, players and staff.

“It’s my home town. My partner’s family is from here as well. It was tough, that’s why I got so emotional about it.”

The news of Arrow’s defection was met with stinging criticism from Titans fans.

Only weeks earlier, Arrow had spoken about his love for the Gold Coast and wanting to lead the club to its first NRL premiership.

He genuinely thought he would remain at the Titans for the rest of his career. But the injury-forced retirement of Rabbitohs legend Sam Burgess made Arrow South Sydney’s prime recruitment target.

“If you told me 12 months ago I would be leaving the Gold Coast I would have laughed at you,” Arrow said.

“I’ve had a few people spraying me on social media but I don’t really care. If they knew my reasons and were put in the same situation as me they would be wondering why people are bagging me.

“It was a tough situation I was put in. It affected my everyday life. I sat on the couch crying to my partner when I made the decision.

“I knew when the negotiations started that I couldn’t please everyone. I felt like the Titans have given me so much so it was hard to walk away and choose another club.

“I’m thinking a little bit clearer now it’s all done. I’ve got a massive weight off my shoulders.

“It wasn’t an easy decision but it’s what was best for me.”

NovoBunny94

Juniors
so now that mitchell has signed with Souths for 2 years, will Arrow come a year early? or are there indications he will stay at the titans for 2020?

Latest posts