What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jake Mullaney - The Future?

azsportza

Live Update Team
Do you remember him? Yes the champion NYC Fullback from 2009/2010. But Where is he now?

Many NRL and Wests Tigers fan are critical of Benji Marshall's goal kicking and of Tim Moltzen as a fullback, and rightly so. But you have to get a player who is like a Brett Hodgson who we stupidly let go to join Huddersfield and the Warrington in the English Super League, and he continues to show his dominants on the field.

My question is, where is Jake Mullaney gone. I understand he suffered from a hamstring injury for most of the 2010 NYC Season. But I would think he has recovered from that by now. So why no first grade.?

STATS 2009:
He scored 29 tries in 27 matches and kicked 103 goals. Twenty-one of his tries were in the last 10 matches, including a grand final double.

He was the leading try and pointer scorer in the NYC, with his 29 tries and 322 points. That type of player has should be in first grade.

So Where is he now? Playing NSW Cup, along with the other Tigers names who apparently aren't good enough to be in first grade. Look below, in bold are the players who have been in first grade or deserve to be there.

(Round 7 Line Up - Balmain-Ryde Tigers)
1. Jake Mullaney
2. Joe Ulibau
3. Matthew Ryan
4. Jake Clarke
5. Sam Latu

6. Charlie Herekutukutuku
7. Nathan Waters
8. Junior Moors
9. George Nadira

10. Rhys Curran
11. Mark Flanagan
12. Jason Schirnack

13. Matthew Hyland
14. Andrew Pearn
15. Sione Tovo
16. Junior Roqica
17. Eloni Vunakece
18. Ratu Tagive

A note on Ratu Tagive, a very good fullback/winger, I have seen him in a few NSW Cup and NYC games and well be good if he cracked in first grade. But back on Jake Mullaney.

It's time Sheens looked to the lower grades to Mullaney, he needs to be given a chance in the top grade. As the joke has been said many time before. Beau Knows NSW Cup, that might not be far off. Moltzen is good in parts, but after his injuries his form has been lacking and McKinnon is good, but you have to look to the future and there is great promise in Mullaney, but only if he is given the chance. Tigers fans remember if Tim Sheens is fired/sacked or decides to leave the club, Benji Marshall has the choice to go with him as per his contractual agreements with the club.

So your thoughts? Should Mullaney get a shot in the top grade? Do you know or have you seen him before....

ShanghaiCharlie

Juniors
Do you remember him? Yes the champion NYC Fullback from 2009/2010. But Where is he now?

Many NRL and Wests Tigers fan are critical of Benji Marshall's goal kicking and of Tim Moltzen as a fullback, and rightly so. But you have to get a player who is like a Brett Hodgson who we stupidly let go to join Huddersfield and the Warrington in the English Super League, and he continues to show his dominants on the field.

My question is, where is Jake Mullaney gone. I understand he suffered from a hamstring injury for most of the 2010 NYC Season. But I would think he has recovered from that by now. So why no first grade.?

STATS 2009:
He scored 29 tries in 27 matches and kicked 103 goals. Twenty-one of his tries were in the last 10 matches, including a grand final double.

He was the leading try and pointer scorer in the NYC, with his 29 tries and 322 points. That type of player has should be in first grade.

So Where is he now? Playing NSW Cup, along with the other Tigers names who apparently aren't good enough to be in first grade. Look below, in bold are the players who have been in first grade or deserve to be there.

(Round 7 Line Up - Balmain-Ryde Tigers)
1. Jake Mullaney
2. Joe Ulibau
3. Matthew Ryan
4. Jake Clarke
5. Sam Latu
6. Charlie Herekutukutuku
7. Nathan Waters
8. Junior Moors
9. George Nadira
10. Rhys Curran
11. Mark Flanagan
12. Jason Schirnack
13. Matthew Hyland
14. Andrew Pearn
15. Sione Tovo
16. Junior Roqica
17. Eloni Vunakece
18. Ratu Tagive

A note on Ratu Tagive, a very good fullback/winger, I have seen him in a few NSW Cup and NYC games and well be good if he cracked in first grade. But back on Jake Mullaney.

It's time Sheens looked to the lower grades to Mullaney, he needs to be given a chance in the top grade. As the joke has been said many time before. Beau Knows NSW Cup, that might not be far off. Moltzen is good in parts, but after his injuries his form has been lacking and McKinnon is good, but you have to look to the future and there is great promise in Mullaney, but only if he is given the chance. Tigers fans remember if Tim Sheens is fired/sacked or decides to leave the club, Benji Marshall has the choice to go with him as per his contractual agreements with the club.

So your thoughts? Should Mullaney get a shot in the top grade? Do you know or have you seen him before....

Agreed Mullaney is a talent but McKinnon, apart from the first game, has been very good this year and has been finding plenty of holes in the middle of the ruck, excellent positionally too.

Vicious

Bench
Agreed Mullaney is a talent but McKinnon, apart from the first game, has been very good this year and has been finding plenty of holes in the middle of the ruck, excellent positionally too.

Anyone who believes we can win the competition with McKinnon at fullback is a fool.

NEWSFLASH:
Every top quality NRL side has a top quality fullback with plenty of pace & attacking flair.
Slow fullbacks haven`t worked in the NRL for 20 years!

Picking boring slow backs in our side will see quality defencive sides such as the Dragons beat us 20-0 every day of the week.
I don`t know about anyone else, but I`d like the Wests Tigers to not only make the finals, but also be a good chance of winning the competition, not just get there and make up the numbers!

Last edited:

hybrid_tiger

Coach
And anyone who wants Moltzen at fullback is a fool. You know there is two sides to the game, one of them is called defense.

McKinnon is 1000 times the fullback Moltzen is, even if he is slow. McKinnon puts his body on the line in defense, is good under the high ball, is a great support player who is always trailing through the middle of the ruck. Moltzen does none of these critical factors well.

Every top quality NRL side doesn't have a fullback who is a deer in headlights when a bomb goes up, who walks back from kick returns, and who palms the ball off to a winger because he is scared of being tackled.

Vicious

Bench
And anyone who wants Moltzen at fullback is a fool. You know there is two sides to the game, one of them is called defense.

McKinnon is 1000 times the fullback Moltzen is, even if he is slow. McKinnon puts his body on the line in defense, is good under the high ball, is a great support player who is always trailing through the middle of the ruck. Moltzen does none of these critical factors well.

Every top quality NRL side doesn't have a fullback who is a deer in headlights when a bomb goes up, who walks back from kick returns, and who palms the ball off to a winger because he is scared of being tackled.

I`m not saying play Moltzen at fullback, i`m saying he should be given a go in the centres as we need him in the side somewhere if we are to trouble the top quality defensive outfits.
I`m saying we cannot possibly win the comp with McKinnon at fullback as the good fullbacks in the good sides play a major part in coming up with the big plays in the big games, McKinnon is over the hill, gone, too slow and not capable of troubling the good defensive sides.
We need to either find another option or just be happy to make up the numbers, I don`t know about others, but as a passionate supporter I don`t want my side to be happy just to make up the numbers!

Last edited:

hybrid_tiger

Coach
McKinnon has been good this year and if fit should be playing fullback.

If not fit then Brown is the next option, he played very well at fullback for us last season. To be honest he didnt deserve to lose his place in the side at the start of the season.

Vicious

Bench
McKinnon has been good this year and if fit should be playing fullback.

If not fit then Brown is the next option, he played very well at fullback for us last season. To be honest he didnt deserve to lose his place in the side at the start of the season.

You play McKinnon at fullback, Ayshford in the centres & Utai on the wing and we have BY FAR the slowest backline in the competition. How on earth do you really believe we can beat good defensive sides like the Dragons & Broncos with slow pedestrian backs ???

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Once Lawrence and Lote are back that won't be such an issue.

McKinnon has been unfairly targeted this season. He's played well. Made over 200 meters against the Roosters and still people were calling for Moltzen at fullback straight after that game. Joke.

Vicious

Bench
Once Lawrence and Lote are back that won't be such an issue.

McKinnon has been unfairly targeted this season. He's played well. Made over 200 meters against the Roosters and still people were calling for Moltzen at fullback straight after that game. Joke.

I don`t care if he made 2000 metres, he`s slow, small & has no ball skills whatsoever.
He wouldn`t make any other NRL side in the competition and for that matter would struggle to get a contract in the English Super League. I remember you were one of the blokes who used to bag Shannon McDonnell, have you watched him play the last 2 weeks? He`s Billy Slater compared to Wade McKinnon.
Back to metres made, Beau Ryan made up arounds 150m or more every time he played fullback for us last season, does that make him a champion fullback as well?

Last edited:

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Junior burger lol. Oh Vicious, please...you're killing me.

McKinnon is slow but is still a natural fullback, a great support player and safe under the high ball.

You seem to think players like Moltzen and McDonnell who are quick are good enough to play fullback. There is alot more to playing fullback than pace.

Vicious

Bench
Junior burger lol. Oh Vicious, please...you're killing me.

McKinnon is slow but is still a natural fullback, a great support player and safe under the high ball.

You seem to think players like Moltzen and McDonnell who are quick are good enough to play fullback. There is alot more to playing fullback than pace.

Yeah i`ve noticed that the other 15 NRL clubs select slow fullbacks too don`t they ???
You are dead set disillusional if you think any side can win a competition with a slow boring fullback in their side.
Are you telling me Shannon McDonnell has been going ordinary for Newcastle???
I know what they`d be saying if they got offered Wade McKinnon as a swap for Shannon McDonnell.

Vicious

Bench
McDonnell is so good they are signing Boyd next season and he will be playing State Cup.

I wouldn`t say that`s a certainty, Bennett has been quoted saying Boyd is a 5/8 in waiting.
The Knights are only just working out that Kurt Gidley`s best spot is hooker and are looking a much better football side because of it.

simmo1

First Grade
lol, this slow average backline didn't seem to be a problem last year when we went within a point of beating both grand finalists.

Vicious

Bench
lol, this slow average backline didn't seem to be a problem last year when we went within a point of beating both grand finalists.

Put McKinnon at fullback instead of Mitch Brown & it`s slower once again.
No problem with Mitch Brown, but the attacking brilliance of Tuquiri & Lawrence covered up for the other imposters last season, without Tuquiri & Lawrence the only 2 players in the backline with any attacking flair are Brown & Moltzen and then I keep reading certain people state Moltzen shouldn`t be in the side ???
Drop Moltzen alll together and have McKinnon at fullback & where are our points going to come from ???
Benji & Lui are good, but they cannot create miracles!

innsaneink

Referee
So Vish....who?
Its all well and good to say we wont win a comp with him or him....tell me who we have that we can win a comp with.

Vicious

Bench
So Vish....who?
Its all well and good to say we wont win a comp with him or him....tell me who we have that we can win a comp with.

Sheens is persisting with Moltzen at fullback for a reason. It`s not because he`s an imbecile and knows nothing about the game, it`s because he knows if we can create a fullback with plenty of pace & attacking flair, all we then need to do is get the side to establish good field position and we have the keys to unlocking the very best of defensive outfits at will.

Moltzen has proven time and time again that he is a very good attacking footballer and I can`t see why it`s beyond him to start successfully competing for the high ball each time it is anywhere near him and I can`t see why he can`t start running the ball back at full pace.

BUT if that doesn`t work out then we also have Jake Mullaney who is another attacking genius who`s efforts in the U/20`s aren`t all that far behind Ben Barba and we can all see what Barba has added to the Bulldogs this season.

The reason I highlight this is because all the sides near the top of the ladder have fullbacks who constantly make an attacking impact on the game and have fullbacks that quite frequently win man of the match awards for their efforts.
We haven`t had a fullback who`s gone anywhere near winning a man of the match award since Hodgson left and it`s about time we found one.

Vicious

Bench
Yeah mcdonnell is a cross between Billy slater and steve turner remember vicious

I don`t think he loses anything to Steve Turner, do you?

I remember when I stated that the kid (Shannon McDonnell) could play and plenty of know it alls on here stated he would never ever play first grade for any other NRL side.

Last edited:

hybrid_tiger

Coach
And they were right, he's mostly played reserve grade for the Knights.

I still remember some people on here saying Hodgson would have to retire early because McDonnell was too good...haha. What a laugh.

The kid has speed but nothing else. Too small.