What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jake Mullaney - The Future?

hybrid_tiger

Coach
I haven't read 1 post on here wanting Moltzen at fullback. Who wants him at fullback ? Only one c$%#head wants him at fullback.

Up until this week Vicious wanted him at fullback.

I agree with Vicious. Although Mckinnon is a safe and smart fullback. ...and backs up well. He is injury prone and lacks pace. I remember in the 1st game against the Dogs he got run around, and didnt lay a hand on whoever it was. What did Brown do wrong ? Safe, good under high ball and not many mistakes, strong....I'd settle for that ...

I am not doubting McKinnon is injury prone and slow, but my whole point is that if it came down to McKinnon or Moltzen I know who I would rather have playing fullback. Vicious seems to think that all you need to be a good fullback is pace, which is simply not true.

And IMO, although McKinnon is slow and injury prone, he has been very good for us when fit. Yes, I don't think Brown deserved to lose his spot after last season, and I think Brown should be our fullback when McKinnon is unavailable, but IMO Wade has played well this season despite his obvious deficiencies. I don't think he is the long term answer obviously, but if fit I think he is the best choice we have this season. Although possibly when we have Lawrence and Tuqiri back then I would consider moving Brown to fullback.

Whatever the case we need to establish a top quality fullback real soon, otherwise we should be going into the player market & trying to sign someone such as William Hopoate.

Hopoate would be a great signing but I doubt we could afford him.

What about Tuqiri at fullback? Was supposed to play there when we signed him. Worth a try? I don't know, just a suggestion. Could then play Brown permanently outside Lawrence.

I think Hybrid mentioned somewhere that Tim Moltzen would not be playing fullback in first grade for any other NRL club. I would agree with that, but i`d also state that Moltzen would be snapped up by many rival NRL clubs if he was available, not a chance in the world that any other NRL club would be interested in Wdae McKinnon at this stage of his career.

Moltzen would probably be snapped up by a few clubs, but yes, not to play fullback.

To be honest, I don't think Moltzen has a future with us unless it is as a bench utility. He can't play fullback, he is behind Marshall at five-eighth, and behind Lui at half. I don't think he's a centre either.

I know we have a good record with him at #7 but Lui is a far superior player IMO. Moltzen is a good runner of the ball but doesn't have the skill set and variety that Lui does. Lui is going to develop into an exceptionally good player.

Tiger Hawk

Bench
There is absolutely no way in hell that Moltzen is a better support player than McKinnon, not a chance.
I don't disagree, but I never suggested that either. I simply said Moltzen is a good support player, whereas you say he isn't.
McKinnon is ALWAYS sniffing around the ruck, whether it be up the guts or our wide. Whenever there is a slight chance of an offload he is always there.

Moltzen runs wide occasionally, go watch him play and tell me when he is ever offering support in the middle of the field. I'll tell you the answer: never. He runs off his bread and butter Marshall and occasionally Lui. And only ever when we are in the attacking zone.

This idea that Moltzen is a superstar attacking player that we must somehow fit into the side at all costs is simply a myth. He is not that good.
He may run off Marshall and Lui (and also Farah), but when he does, it generally results in line breaks and try scoring chances. When McKinnon supports, he takes the off-load but rarely breaks the line or ends up creating a real opportunity. He has neither the pace or power to turn those opportunities into try scoring chances. McKinnon also has ONE attacking strong point - his support game. Moltzen has several - his running game, ball-playing and also support. So it's pretty obvious when watching the team that Moltzen is often in the back-line in an effort to capitalise on those strong points, whereas McKinnon has no ball-playing ability whatsoever and sticks to the sole thing he's good at.

I think McKinnon is the superior fullback - much safer under the bomb, better positioning, stronger kick returns. But to suggest he offers the side anything in attack is a fair stretch, cause he doesn't. A back-line of McKinnon, Ryan, Utai, Ayshford and Brown does not strike fear into any opponent - too old, slow and talentless. Moltzen's best position however is 5/8 and I think he would be fantastic next to Thurston. For us, he should be the bench utility.

boonboon

Juniors
I think McKinnon is our best option at fullback at the moment barring his reoccuring injuries. Moltzen's best position is in the halves - although I have notced he has actually played the majority of his first grade games at fullback when I really couldn't remember that many.

I think Sheens and the Club think Mullaney is a definite star of the future and after a full year this year to develop physically and recover from his own year of injury last year I think we will see him in FG in 2012

An interesting stat about Mitch brown - who I think should be on the wing prob even in a full strength squad - he has played 10 games at centre and his career for 9 losses

Reek_Havoc

Juniors
Wade Mack disrupts the side by all his injuries. In one week out 4. This is no help to the side. Put Brown at 1 and be done with it. He hasn't done anything wrong. Young, strong and been injury free. Farkwit punted Tagive and Head because they were "injury proned" then why doesnt he do the same with Mack? Cos he is a farkwit !!!

blackandwhite

Juniors
Round 7: Full Time (NSW Cup) Newtown Jets 22 def. Balmain Ryde-Eastwood Tigers 0

Round 8: Full Time (NSW Cup) Cronulla Sharks 26 def. Balmain Ryde-Eastwood Tigers 0

Bet Jake is wishing he was still in NYC..The future there was looking pretty good.

Vicious

Bench
Jake Mullaney is a very good up and comer and I have no doubt he`ll handle first grade whenever he gets his chance, BUT i`ve got to put my hand up and admit I didn`t think Wade McKinnon had any good footy left in him. Well didn`t his game today prove me very wrong, brilliant game from Wade, best i`ve seen him play in 4 years that`s for sure. It`s made me well and truly retract my statement that we couldn`t win the Premiership with him at fullback, he may very well be a big help to us in winning the Premiership if he can keep playing as well as he did today.
I`m more than happy to be proven wrong when it means it`s a Wests Tigers player playing at his best.

Fordy20

Juniors
Agreed. McKinnon was exceptional today. His support play lead to tries and his defence was awesome, highlighted by that tackle against Dane Tilse that cut him in half and scooping up the ball off his bootlaces under pressure. Got turned inside out by Josh Dugan for his second try, but to be fair, Dugan should not have scored at all in that match.

Vicious

Bench
Agreed. McKinnon was exceptional today. His support play lead to tries and his defence was awesome, highlighted by that tackle against Dane Tilse that cut him in half and scooping up the ball off his bootlaces under pressure. Got turned inside out by Josh Dugan for his second try, but to be fair, Dugan should not have scored at all in that match.

No one was going to stop Dugan in that instance, McKinnon was faultless, I rated him highly as a footballer 3-4 seasons back, but I did not think he had that type of football left in him.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
No one was going to stop Dugan in that instance, McKinnon was faultless, I rated him highly as a footballer 3-4 seasons back, but I did not think he had that type of football left in him.

Glad you have seen the light :)

I know he is not very fast, but his support play is top notch. Every single time someone gets their hands free he is always there. I think his style of play suits us perfectly. We have Farah, Lui and Marshall to do the playmaking, we don't need a fullback who chimes into the attack and create. We just need someone who will follow the ball everywhere and provide good support.

That take in the first half where he attacked the ball at 100 miles an hour was brilliant. That is what a fullback needs to do, attack the ball. His defensive positioning is spot on.

Shame McKinnon is not a few years younger, clearly he is not a long term option but this year if fit he must be out fullback, simple as that. Just hope his hammy holds up.

tumblingdice

Juniors
Dont know much about this Mullaney, haven't seen much of him, but people bang on about him...and now McKinnon is going most of the points made in this thread are now moot, and most of the posts were not about Jake anyway so i still dont know much, but my point is- while spying in some of the Saints forums..some of their faithful mention his name to add to their depth while discussing SOO committments and injuries..as per this comment...Quote "Just looking through NSW & QLD Cup sides - what about Jake Mullaney from the Tigers. I remember seeing him in Toyota Cup & thought he's a definite NRL player". While i like Wade will he put his body on the line now he is going? IF Jake is good sure he doesn't want to spend his future in a losing NSW Cup team and he may become someone else's future at this rate if he at least doesn't get a sniff as a back up. There have been plenty of other dumber selections.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
You're right on the money with this comment. McKinnon, as well as he has gone this year, when on the field, is now a risk. Get Mullaney to have a few runs in the top grade to see how he goes. If he goes that bad, Sheens can hook him, he always runs a replacement back on the bench.

We will lose this kid if we are not careful, as the saying goes, "use it or lose it" and I am sure other teams are looking. A few mates of mine who support other teams (we ain't mates in winter I should add) have spoken highly of Mullaney and have openly said they wish their teams could poach him.

R2Coupe

Juniors
It is a big step up although we do know what players such as Ryan and Brown can't do. Maybe it is time to see what Mullaney can do?

R2Coupe

Juniors
He is one of the few players (read marshall and Lote) who have pace. Why would you want to take him out of the backline? There are signs he is regaining form and confidence. We will need him.

ShanghaiCharlie

Juniors
Every indication is Meaney is first cab off the rank outside of current first graders with Mullaney nowhere in sight at the moment. Sheens will use McKinnon, Ryan, Brown, Moltzen and Meaney before Mullaney.

Time to pick up and find a new club if I were him.
Doesn't look like he'll get a shot at the Tigers.

tumblingdice

Juniors
which brings up another point re overall club management-so many fans bang on about giving him a go its been relentless for a couple years now- if they lose him without giving him a run, lots of fans will be alienated-which im sure would include financial members. So from upper managment/business point of view of view only, he must be given a run. Similar thing happened with that Lazarus, fans were saying foir him to have a go..he filled in for a couple part games when there were injuries, didn't do much (as if you could really expect a guy to), now fans dont call for him anymore and dont get shitty with the club and keep buying jerseys and memberships, and wouldn't give a toss if he left now so the club becomes blameless.Management should insist on Jake being given a go next time there are injuires from a strategic buisness point of view. Cant be worse than some selctions and out of position selections sometimes made, and if he goes ok, even better.

R2Coupe

Juniors
I am sure there are good reasons why he has not been given a go to date.

At some stage, the U20s backs should be given an opportunity. The pace they have provides a new dimension turning half chances into genuine try scoring opportunities. As we saw on Sunday, Ryan, Utai and Brown all lacked the pace to chase down the Dragons backs. This cannot continue.

Every indication is Meaney is first cab off the rank outside of current first graders with Mullaney nowhere in sight at the moment.
are you sure about that?

Over the past 5 weeks Mullaney and Meaney both moved between starting 5/8 and fullback, when Mullaney moved from fullback to 5/8 I thought, they might have been trying to toughen him up, i.e. getting him to touch the ball more and more importantly closer to the action defensive wise. Then he went back to fullback and again I thought, he might be ready now and next we'll see him in 1st grade, but no.

Meaney got a run in 1st grade whilst he was playing 5/8 but that was not an issue as he was a true fullback but he has not been sighted since Ryan has returned.

Then they signed Jack who started at 5/8 last week, Meaney is now in the centre and Mullaney is at fullback, to me that reads as though he is the fullback of choice for Balmain/Ryde and Meaney is the utility back.

1st grade needs a centre becasue CL is not goingto walk back in and play like he has previously, straight away.
1st grade needs a fullback, a true fullback please who can hold their own with the bonus of having speed and can kick goals.
1st grade needs a winger, who can hold their own with the bonus of having speed (well faster than Ryan and Utai)

gronkathon

First Grade
The team was a better balance with Meaney at the back but Jake is not capable of playing centre whereas Sean is.

I think when all troops are back on deck in NRL Meaney will find his way to the right wing for BRET and he and Mullaney will share and swap the custodian duties