What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

James Graham.

Walpole

Juniors
So with our top 3 props seeming to be Vaughan, Grahaom and A Mau, who will be our fourth prop in 2018? Will it be:
Sims
Latimore
Allgood
Lawrie
Kerr:
If those are my options I'll take Sims and Lawrie, with Kerr waiting in the wings and Latimore and Allgood providing reserve grade with the most experienced prop combination in the NSW Cup.

And who would yours be, possm? Noting of course that WALMSLEY's NOT PLAYING FOR US THIS YEAR!!

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
If those are my options I'll take Sims and Lawrie, with Kerr waiting in the wings and Latimore and Allgood providing reserve grade with the most experienced prop combination in the NSW Cup.

And who would yours be, possm? Noting of course that WALMSLEY's NOT PLAYING FOR US THIS YEAR!!

Now that Sims has a year under his belt, he needs to step up & own his first grade starting spot.
Anything less would be an under achievement.

possm

Coach

Given that we have Host and Leilua waiting for their chance, I'd like to to Sims in the prop rotation for 2018. And yes, only if Warmsley is not a part of the 2018 squad.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I just think he has bordered on playing to 75% of his ability. We all know he has it.

If we as a team are going to step up this season and be a force, it’s players like Sims that can fire us.
I think Simms may have lost a bit of his lateral movement when he broke his leg numerous times. But then I think back to the game against Cronulla last year. If he could reproduce that kind of performance week in week out, he would be one of the best forwards in the game. I think since he broke his leg numerous times that he is best suited to the middle. I think lock would be Simms best position. I also think lock is Frizzell's best position, but I am very happy with Debelin as our lock. I am hoping that DeBelin can play origin this year. I think DeBelin will also perform very well at origin, if he gets the opportunity.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
James Graham shows new Dragons teammates how its done during preseason training
MATT LOGUE, The Daily Telegraph

JAMES Graham only needed one session to stamp his presence as the man to take St George Illawarra to the next level following a season of missed chances.

Remarkably for the Dragons, Graham’s impact came on his first day at the club during team’s pre-season beep test.

Every forward was at breaking point, including the star Englishman, who easily could have quit out of sheer exhaustion.

But as veteran winger Jason Nightingale recalls, Graham kept pushing — barking orders at himself and his teammates to finish the drill.

fdec3ef9c09a4c70a43d4131276dcbbb

James Graham is already having an effect at St George Illawarra. (Dylan Robinson)
According to Nightingale, it was a moment of determination the Dragons can use as motivation to overcome a string of close losses in 2017.

The Red V lost seven of their final 10 games, including a last round defeat to archrivals Canterbury, to miss out on the finals.

Nightingale, though, is confident the Dragons won’t collapse in 2018, thanks largely to Graham’s pre-season heroics to defy the pain barrier.

“James was gone, but he kept screaming at himself and the boys to keep going,” Nightingale recalled.

“It was him, Tariq Sims and Blake Laurie as the last three forwards to finish.

“James was doing his first session after a World Cup campaign, he was buggered, but he found something when he shouldn’t have been able to.

“He had already beaten most of the group, but he kept going to push Sims and Laurie to personal best times.

“James got them further than they were prepared to go — it was great to watch”

d8e9f8812af55efe060b765be310ccab

New Dragons Graham and Ben Hunt. (Richard Dobson)
Nightingale says Graham’s pre-season dedication has rubbed off on the entire club.

Whether it’s turning up to training early or staying late for video or kicking sessions, Dragons players are following the ex-Canterbury skipper’s lead in the extra effort stakes.

“James’ experience just adds so much confidence,” Nightingale said.

“It helps in those situations where you are under pressure and rattled.

“We had some bad experiences last year where things didn’t go our way, but I think our young players will learn from that.

“Also adding James and people like Ben Hunt who have been there and done it will be awesome for us.”

Star Kangaroos lock Tyson Frizell is another Dragon rapt to see Graham donning the famous Red V.

Frizell played against him the World Cup, but he says there is another side to the veteran England prop.

“You see the way James plays on the field, but people don’t really see what he does off the field,” he said.

“He trains the way he plays and he is 100 miles an hour. He is such a competitor and it’s good for the young guys coming through seeing the effort he puts into his training.

“Hopefully with Ben (Hunt) here as well, we can win those close games this year. I think there were five games where we lost by less than five points.

“That is what is so disappointing — we gave ourselves every opportunity to make the eight and just couldn’t come away with it.”

Fuelled by the arrival of recruits like Graham and Hunt, Frizell believes the Dragons are primed to achieve their potential this season.

“We put a lot of expectation on ourselves and we haven’t lived up to our expectations or standards in the past,” he said.

“But I hope we can create a dominate team and be successful for years to come. It all starts this year and hopefully we can be more consistent in our performances.”

Seoul Dragon

Juniors
James Graham shows new Dragons teammates how its done during preseason training
MATT LOGUE, The Daily Telegraph

JAMES Graham only needed one session to stamp his presence as the man to take St George Illawarra to the next level following a season of missed chances.

Remarkably for the Dragons, Graham’s impact came on his first day at the club during team’s pre-season beep test.

Every forward was at breaking point, including the star Englishman, who easily could have quit out of sheer exhaustion.

But as veteran winger Jason Nightingale recalls, Graham kept pushing — barking orders at himself and his teammates to finish the drill.

fdec3ef9c09a4c70a43d4131276dcbbb

James Graham is already having an effect at St George Illawarra. (Dylan Robinson)
According to Nightingale, it was a moment of determination the Dragons can use as motivation to overcome a string of close losses in 2017.

The Red V lost seven of their final 10 games, including a last round defeat to archrivals Canterbury, to miss out on the finals.

Nightingale, though, is confident the Dragons won’t collapse in 2018, thanks largely to Graham’s pre-season heroics to defy the pain barrier.

“James was gone, but he kept screaming at himself and the boys to keep going,” Nightingale recalled.

“It was him, Tariq Sims and Blake Laurie as the last three forwards to finish.

“James was doing his first session after a World Cup campaign, he was buggered, but he found something when he shouldn’t have been able to.

“He had already beaten most of the group, but he kept going to push Sims and Laurie to personal best times.

“James got them further than they were prepared to go — it was great to watch”

d8e9f8812af55efe060b765be310ccab

New Dragons Graham and Ben Hunt. (Richard Dobson)
Nightingale says Graham’s pre-season dedication has rubbed off on the entire club.

Whether it’s turning up to training early or staying late for video or kicking sessions, Dragons players are following the ex-Canterbury skipper’s lead in the extra effort stakes.

“James’ experience just adds so much confidence,” Nightingale said.

“It helps in those situations where you are under pressure and rattled.

“We had some bad experiences last year where things didn’t go our way, but I think our young players will learn from that.

“Also adding James and people like Ben Hunt who have been there and done it will be awesome for us.”

Star Kangaroos lock Tyson Frizell is another Dragon rapt to see Graham donning the famous Red V.

Frizell played against him the World Cup, but he says there is another side to the veteran England prop.

“You see the way James plays on the field, but people don’t really see what he does off the field,” he said.

“He trains the way he plays and he is 100 miles an hour. He is such a competitor and it’s good for the young guys coming through seeing the effort he puts into his training.

“Hopefully with Ben (Hunt) here as well, we can win those close games this year. I think there were five games where we lost by less than five points.

“That is what is so disappointing — we gave ourselves every opportunity to make the eight and just couldn’t come away with it.”

Fuelled by the arrival of recruits like Graham and Hunt, Frizell believes the Dragons are primed to achieve their potential this season.

“We put a lot of expectation on ourselves and we haven’t lived up to our expectations or standards in the past,” he said.

“But I hope we can create a dominate team and be successful for years to come. It all starts this year and hopefully we can be more consistent in our performances.”

Exactly the attitudinal and inspirational stuff I was hoping to hear!
Graham will bring a lot to the dragons this year from many dimensions.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
That article starts off so well - the old hardhead already taking one of our young forwards under his wing - but then you get to the part where he says if "they just want me to tuck it up my jumper I will do that" and you think shit, maybe that's all McGregor's got planned for him.
Yes that part struck a chord with me.....imo thats the last thing we wont him to do tuck it up his jumper and barge upfield...that might have been ok when he was 25 but hes a lot slower now......for mine I would like to see him using all his skills and experience to put some of our younger quicker blokes through gaps.....stuff McGregor he doesnt have the mind set and temperament to visualse whats required in tbe forwards...come to think of it that applies to our backline as well

Gareth67

First Grade
Yes that part struck a chord with me.....imo thats the last thing we wont him to do tuck it up his jumper and barge upfield...that might have been ok when he was 25 but hes a lot slower now......for mine I would like to see him using all his skills and experience to put some of our younger quicker blokes through gaps.....stuff McGregor he doesnt have the mind set and temperament to visualse whats required in tbe forwards...come to think of it that applies to our backline as well

I was hoping that Graham would be playing more like a John Wittenberg type of role .
His experience showing the younger blokes how it's done and placing a large firm hand on the opposition pack when required .

Old Timer

Coach
FMD you have to laugh.
Our newest recruit and oldest player is being lauded for everything he is contributing at training.
The papers are full of it, the players are talking it up, so can somebody please tell me what the f**k is the coaching and conditioning staff doing?
Are they now taking instructions from Graham as well?
All of a sudden Graham turns up and instantly "our compass" is set on the right course was it his job to do that and if he had to do it somebody should have got punted.
Well if he is setting the example and doing the extra conditioning and getting others to participate as well, then give him the coaching job and piss the bald f**ker off.
Honestly it makes me sick to hear all this crap about & from the players because it looks to me as if they will leave it all to Graham and Hunt to fix it and if they don't succeed it makes for a ready excuse especially for Mc Fookknuckle.

TruSaint

Referee
FMD you have to laugh.
Our newest recruit and oldest player is being lauded for everything he is contributing at training.
The papers are full of it, the players are talking it up, so can somebody please tell me what the f**k is the coaching and conditioning staff doing?
Are they now taking instructions from Graham as well?
All of a sudden Graham turns up and instantly "our compass" is set on the right course was it his job to do that and if he had to do it somebody should have got punted.
Well if he is setting the example and doing the extra conditioning and getting others to participate as well, then give him the coaching job and piss the bald f**ker off.
Honestly it makes me sick to hear all this crap about & from the players because it looks to me as if they will leave it all to Graham and Hunt to fix it and if they don't succeed it makes for a ready excuse especially for Mc Fookknuckle.

Gotta hand it to you OT...

You stick by your guns alright, and yes there is merit in what you say.

However, if we are better off with him, and he has exposed some of our deficiencies, then i say welcome aboard James.

I think the article raises issues, but also highlights that Graham's ilk, has been missed in our club for some time. Yes we have a great pack, yes, Friz is a beast as is Vaughan and co, but Graham hopefully brings that edge we lack and the desire to go the extra yard.

Gareth67

First Grade
I just think he has bordered on playing to 75% of his ability. We all know he has it.

If we as a team are going to step up this season and be a force, it’s players like Sims that can fire us.

Agree OKB1 , I have always thought similar, as if he has more in reserve but not quite giving it his all . I am not saying that the man doesn't do his bit , only if he put more effort into game he would be doing more damage to the opposition. Without saying what has already been said , there is a player in the pack now that can help take him to that level .

Latest posts