What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

James Graham.

getsmarty

Immortal
Similar to ‘prison, Army’: Dragons star James Graham says NRL’s brutality linked to bad behaviour
Dragons
  • March 6, 2019 9:57am
  • by Chris Paine
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
9528ca86b1385c6765fd238a820a80de

James Graham says the NRL is a brutal product that attracts a unique personality type.Source: Getty Images
Dragons star James Graham says the NRL attracts a “personality type” drawn to the sport’s aggression, and that partly explains the recent spate of bad player behaviour.

Graham told NRL 360 he didn’t believe the NRL had a “culture” problem among the broader playing group, instead insisting bad behaviour was a “nature issue”.

It comes as the NRL took a major stand against off-field scandals that have plagued the off-season, including the standing down of Graham’s Red V teammate Jack de Belin and charged Penrith Panthers utility Tyrone May.

Graham said he believed the brutality of the NRL was unique in sport, and compared the population spread of players to “prison and the Army”.

db66aca624bd056a32607f7d95414f6a

Graham is one of the NRL’s most renowned hard-men.Source: AAP

“I think it’s a nature thing. It’s a personality type that our game attracts,” he told NRL 360.

“It’s a very aggressive sport, probably only a similar population dispersion to those in prison or the Army.

“I think sometimes people look over that. Understanding isn’t excusing behaviour. But I think you’ve got to look at our product of the game.

“You look at some people who’ve been in negative headlines and they’re taking up to 300, 400, 500 collisions a year. You don’t think somehow this might not manifest itself in a negative way somewhere?”

Graham denied the NRL had a culture problem when asked directly by co-host Paul Kent, and vigorously defended the broader reputation of his playing colleagues.

“I don’t think people understand the meaning of the word culture. To me culture is the day to day environment of a workplace or a group of people,” Graham said.

“I’ve been around this game for a long time and what I see in the culture of NRL players is a group of people who want to enrich their own lives, their families’ lives and the great community’s lives.

“They’re a hardworking group of people that are striving for good.

That’s not to say that it’s without fault but I think there’s possibly at times there are behaviour issues that is more of a nature issue than a cultural thing.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...r/news-story/d5ece631b8c42687b6ff14f263053ed0

nontime111

Juniors
We fell from 1st to 7th wasn't that far enough?
without big red we would have been down around 12th id say, all thanks to big red for coming to mighty saints, hes so old school would have made it in the 70s i think unlike most whimpy forwards today

possm

Coach
without big red we would have been down around 12th id say, all thanks to big red for coming to mighty saints, hes so old school would have made it in the 70s i think unlike most whimpy forwards today
JDB is a big and indefinite loss, who should replace him at lock. He is a current SOO backrow forward. Mary believes Frizell is the most suitable replacement and I can support that decision; it is as close to like for like as you can get.

Frizell moving to lock leaves us with a vacancy for a right edge backrow forward. T Sims played SOO last season and has proved he can play on both the left and right edge. I would support T Sims being selected as our edge forward on the right side mainly because I think he will continue a good job there and with Lomax at right centre, would stiffen up the defence.

On his return from suspension, K Sims is the ideal edge forward on our left side and the closest we have in quality to his brother however, he is not available till round 3. So the question is who do select for backrow on the left edge for round 1 and 2. For me it would have to be a toss up between Leilua and Host; both not strong in defence but do have Norman and Lafai who are reasonable in defence on the left edge.

So after shuffling our backrow around to fill the void as best we can caused by the absence of JDB, we now must turn our heads to the prop rotation. Missing from the planned rotation is a first grade prop - K Sims. The question therefore is, do we play K Sims at prop on his return or in the backrow? I'd say we need to look at our depth in the forwards to determine if there is a player who can step up within our ranks and / or do we need to replace De Belin by buying a first grade prop or backrow forward.

At this stage in the season, only the coaching staff would be ware of the suitability of one of our young forwards to step up however, I personally would like to see Kerr added to the prop rotation. Giving us a prop rotation of; Vaughan, Graham, Kerr and Lawrie/Timm.

Como Connection

First Grade
JDB is a big and indefinite loss, who should replace him at lock. He is a current SOO backrow forward. Mary believes Frizell is the most suitable replacement and I can support that decision; it is as close to like for like as you can get.

Frizell moving to lock leaves us with a vacancy for a right edge backrow forward. T Sims played SOO last season and has proved he can play on both the left and right edge. I would support T Sims being selected as our edge forward on the right side mainly because I think he will continue a good job there and with Lomax at right centre, would stiffen up the defence.

On his return from suspension, K Sims is the ideal edge forward on our left side and the closest we have in quality to his brother however, he is not available till round 3. So the question is who do select for backrow on the left edge for round 1 and 2. For me it would have to be a toss up between Leilua and Host; both not strong in defence but do have Norman and Lafai who are reasonable in defence on the left edge.

So after shuffling our backrow around to fill the void as best we can caused by the absence of JDB, we now must turn our heads to the prop rotation. Missing from the planned rotation is a first grade prop - K Sims. The question therefore is, do we play K Sims at prop on his return or in the backrow? I'd say we need to look at our depth in the forwards to determine if there is a player who can step up within our ranks and / or do we need to replace De Belin by buying a first grade prop or backrow forward.

At this stage in the season, only the coaching staff would be ware of the suitability of one of our young forwards to step up however, I personally would like to see Kerr added to the prop rotation. Giving us a prop rotation of; Vaughan, Graham, Kerr and Lawrie/Timm.
As I just posted on your other thread Leilua is hopless in defence.
CC

possm

Coach
As I just posted on your other thread Leilua is hopless in defence.
CC

He was improving and actually getting there last season. Yes he and a whole lot of his team mates defended poorly last week in the Charity Shield game however, I put this down to the training/fitness program they have just been through. I expect to see a much better performance against the Cowboys.

Old Timer

Coach
He was improving and actually getting there last season. Yes he and a whole lot of his team mates defended poorly last week in the Charity Shield game however, I put this down to the training/fitness program they have just been through. I expect to see a much better performance against the Cowboys.
Trust me Leliua is ordinary in defence.
Bordering on Bryce Cartwrightness.

Old Timer

Coach
Yes he would have been great in the 70's but I'm afraid time has past him by and his best was 3 years ago and we will only ever have the Graham in decline version and a real shame we didn't have in 2011.
All well and good to have his passion and toughness but IMO he will be dominated by the better forwards this year and it is interesting to see how the shape and size of the props has altered compared to when he was at the top of his game as he is now on the small size.
Good bench option for this year but that's about it IMHO.

nontime111

Juniors
Im a huge Luch fan for what he brings in attack
also after seeing Timm I have him above Lawrie but im still a Lawrie fan, just was surprised by how good Timm went
Im a Kerr fan also above them both I hope he gets some game time while Korbins out

denis preston

First Grade

FFS Host not strong on defence ??? Really ??

denis preston

First Grade
Yes he would have been great in the 70's but I'm afraid time has past him by and his best was 3 years ago and we will only ever have the Graham in decline version and a real shame we didn't have in 2011.
All well and good to have his passion and toughness but IMO he will be dominated by the better forwards this year and it is interesting to see how the shape and size of the props has altered compared to when he was at the top of his game as he is now on the small size.
Good bench option for this year but that's about it IMHO.

Good to see you are keeping your 95% negative thread responses on track. !

Old Timer

Coach
Good to see you are keeping your 95% negative thread responses on track. !
So you think he is as good as he was 3 years ago and in top 8 props in the game and will be better this year than last?
But because I don’t somehow it’s negative?
Well let’s see what happens I’m happy to say I got it wrong I hope you are too.

slippery5

Juniors
I fear we might have a repeat case of Nighty here, with some unwilling to admit, although he puts in, their maybe better options this year.

nontime111

Juniors
I wonder if Kerr, Lawrie and Timm will play their way into regular first grade spot above Graham then? this is why its such an exciting season to me, SO many new opportunities and someone or a few of them WILL stand up, Im just excited to see who will hit form for us....I like the look of Timm personally he goes hard, even harder than Lawrie i think their tussle for spots will be amazing to watch

denis preston

First Grade
So you think he is as good as he was 3 years ago and in top 8 props in the game and will be better this year than last?
But because I don’t somehow it’s negative?
Well let’s see what happens I’m happy to say I got it wrong I hope you are too.

I think his role now ( or should be )is to mentor the young forwards coming through , which i think he is doing. He is unofficial captain and makes up somewhat our inept coaching.He led from the front in the semi series and others followed , and the coach was just as surprised as us.Would say that he has got another year in him but might agree that 2 is a stretch.

possm

Coach
Im a huge Luch fan for what he brings in attack
also after seeing Timm I have him above Lawrie but im still a Lawrie fan, just was surprised by how good Timm went
Im a Kerr fan also above them both I hope he gets some game time while Korbins out
If K Sims plays lock, my pecking order for prop is:
Vaughan
Graham
Kerr
Timm
Lawrie
Latimore
Allgood

Latest posts