What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jamie Lyon wants to play for the Eels again

lucablight

First Grade
In the sunday telegraph there's an exlcusive in which Jamie Lyon says that if the Eels could have him back he would consider playing for them again. He also talks about how he was devastated about the cowboys loss and dismissed any fallout with Brian Smith and said they kept in contact. The Eels generally manager said that the club has two centres in Ben Smith and Timana Tahu already and they would have to consider salary cap restraints and the way he left the club.
Your thoughts?

Eelementary

Post Whore
Go on! Pull the other one!

You serious?

It's probably some journalistic crap - some 'journo' made up the story.

Eelementary

Post Whore
WTF is going on in the world?

A while ago, a hypothetical was made abou.....

Wait a second....

Eele knew all along!

Hurriflatch

Referee
Well moving Morris to centre defeats the purpose of playing Lyon at 5/8

How about this it should make (almost) everyone happy

3. Benny
4. Tahu

6. Lyon

Halfs bedroom: Morris

Stagger eel

Staff member
I smell a rat.

think about it, Lyon is on the verge of negotiating a new deal for 07 and wants to let all clubs know, that his not a risk and will be a good investment, so what a better way to do that than to tell all who cares, that I didn't actually leave on bad terms with the club and that I'd consider going back to play for them, knowing too well that Fitzy and Smithy are laughing at the thought of it.

Well, Jamie my friend if your that genuine? you can apologise to Brian and his wife, than your team mates and while your at it the board and the fans and maybe we'll think about it, but ffs don't use the media and our club as a bargaining tool.

El Diablo

Post Whore
I'll play for Eels again: Lyon
By Peter Badel
November 6, 2005

FORMER Parramatta sensation Jamie Lyon has revealed his desire to return to the club, admitting he regrets the pain he caused the Eels with his shock departure.

0,1658,5070893,00.jpg
Missing his mates: Former Eels star Jamie Lyon"If Parramatta will have me back, I'd love to play for them again," Lyon told The Sunday Telegraph.

"I must admit I miss playing with blokes like Nathan Hindmarsh and Nathan Cayless."

The revelation will send shockwaves through the Parramatta club, which was plunged into crisis in the wake of Lyon's dramatic exit last year.

A homesick Lyon, who is playing in England, also said he plans to return to the NRL in 2007 and reclaim his NSW and Test jumpers. Only a huge offer from current club St Helens would stop him returning.

The former Test centre has been a revelation in England, winning the player of the year award after scoring 24 tries to pilot Saints to the minor premiership.

But the 23-year-old admits he craves a second chance at Parramatta and was shattered by the Eels' shock 29-0 loss to North Queensland in this year's grand final qualifier.

"Looking back, I regret the way I walked out. In one way, I don't regret going home to play with my mates at Wee Waa because I was sick of Sydney and the pressures of NRL football," said Lyon, who is holidaying in Ballina with his partner Kelly.

"But I do feel bad about how it ended at Parramatta. They were the club that made me – Brian Smith got me to where I was.

"I watched that final (against the Cowboys) and was shattered. I really felt for all the guys and Brian, who deserves to win a premiership. I don't know how some of the Parra people would feel about me saying this. They are entitled to be dirty with me, but if Brian would be OK with it, I'd definitely think about going back to Parra."

Despite the bitter fallout, Lyon still holds an official contract with Parramatta, which expires at the end of next season.

Under a deed of understanding, Lyon must seek the Eels' permission to play elsewhere, as he did before joining St Helens.

When Lyon quit, it is understood his main grievance was with Smith and he allegedly sent chief executive Denis Fitzgerald a letter outlining his concerns. But Lyon denied a fallout with Smith led to his departure.

"This talk about me and Smitty not getting on is garbage," he said.

"We've kept in contact, we've texted each other a few times recently and Brian wished me well when I went to England.

"I'd have no problem playing under Brian again. He's the best coach I've had."

Parramatta general manager Greg Mitchell said it was too premature to say whether Lyon would be welcomed back.

"The salary cap is one hurdle. We never budgeted on Jamie returning," Mitchell said.

"It would be up to Brian (Smith) and the coaching staff. Jamie is an outstanding player, but we do have good centres in Timana Tahu and Ben Smith.

"I can't speak for everyone here, but we'd also have to consider the circumstances behind Jamie leaving the club." The Sunday Telegraph
http://www.sundaytelegraph.news.com.au/story/0,9353,17152042-28780,00.html

Hurriflatch

Referee
eelavation said:
I smell a rat.

think about it, Lyon is on the verge of negotiating a new deal for 07 and wants to let all clubs know, that his not a risk and will be a good investment, so what a better way to do that than to tell all who cares, that I didn't actually leave on bad terms with the club and that I'd consider going back to play for them, knowing too well that Fitzy and Smithy are laughing at the thought of it.

Well, Jamie my friend if your that genuine? you can apologise to Brian and his wife, than your team mates and while your at it the board and the fans and maybe we'll think about it, but ffs don't use the media and our club as a bargaining tool.

Didn't really think about this maybe due to the time and the physical condition I'm in at the moment but now that you've raised this point I think you're 100% right

Stagger eel

Staff member
Hurriflatch said:
Didn't really think about this maybe due to the time and the physical condition I'm in at the moment but now that you've raised this point I think you're 100% right

even after reading the article, I'm even more cynical.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Seems WAY too good to be true.

Sorry, but I'm a huge fan of Jamie Lyon on the field, he's EASILY the best centre in Rugby League, f**k Gasnier.

If Jamie is dead set about making up for what he did, and from what the article says he is, then why not? Of course there would have to be a very specific contract involved so they aren't bitten twice, but I think a player of his quality is well worth the risk.

I doubt he'll come back, the point of it being contract time soon and him trying to clear his name is a very good one, however I'd love to see him in Eels colours again (with a new attitude, of course).

Morenito

Juniors
I wonder what the crowd reaction would be in his first game at home if he were to return???

Latest posts