What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jamie Soward's kicking game.

Gaba

First Grade
Agreed, ignoring the fact Campese has just as good a boot, and is a better ball player. Its simply a fact of Soward will be targetted by the QLDers and his defense just isnt up to it. Wallace can defend well, he ball plays well, controls and directs play well. Campese is an extremely sound defender and has the size the impose himself on the game. In Origin, Soward will be thrown around like a rag doll

I think NSW's best halves combination involves Campese or Barrett, along with Wallace or perhaps if he picks up from yesterday and holds it, Mullen comes into play aswell
campese wont be selected on form,they will cut through him like a knife slicing through butter

flamin

Juniors
Cronk is 2nd on 1383
Pearce is 3rd on 1213

Soward has almost as many kick metres as these two combined.

Raider_69

Post Whore
campese wont be selected on form,they will cut through him like a knife slicing through butter

:?
Campese as always has been safe as a bank defensively... he's tried hard in attack and looked brilliant against the Eels and Tigers but at the moment the rest of the side isnt clicking around him... he certainly needs to shoulder some responsibility of that but he's still playing good footy and tbh a cut above the rest in NSW at the moment

But your right on one aspect, he wont be picked from a side thats playing poor footy and running dead last, we need to start winning to give him a chance and that needs to start tonight

why is everyone bagging him i reckon he is inform and very under rated he might cop sh*t about defending i seen on friday night boot lace faolu perfectly so what if he got bumped from inglus. who hasent anyway his kicking game isnext to none

jimmythehand

Juniors
the question is can Soward do it consistently? Never has been able to before, and one of the commentators labelled him on Friday Night a "confidence player". Will his game fall apart like it has so often in the past?

The signs are there that Bennett really is a freak and is already having an amazing impact on individuals and the team collectively, perhaps breeding a new winning culture in the club. It will be interesting to see if the under-achieving Dragon Chokers have finally turned the corner in 2009.

God-King Dean

Immortal
I wouldn't trade Soward for anyone atm. But IMO, he'd get his arse handed to him Origin.

Last edited:

simmo1

First Grade
Cronk is 2nd on 1383
Pearce is 3rd on 1213

Soward has almost as many kick metres as these two combined.

Cronk has Cameron Smith doing a lot of long kicks, and Pearce has Anasta. Kick metres is a stupid stat. Look at % of kicks which find space. I'm sure Soward will be up at the top there too, but I doubt there'll be such a gap.

BeeeeeRad

Juniors
Ofcourse Soward has the most kicking meters in the comp he has taken 18 more kicks more than anyone else. On top of that he is in a team were he takes the whole kicking workload, most team have 2 capable kickers, some even 3 or 4 kickers who can get 35+ meters consistantly.

I'm not denying he can kick a ball a long way, because I know he can and all stats prove he is the best at the moment, but I think there are a few who can match it with him on the boot, if we ignore stats.

petetheileet

First Grade
Cronk has Cameron Smith doing a lot of long kicks, and Pearce has Anasta. Kick metres is a stupid stat. Look at % of kicks which find space. I'm sure Soward will be up at the top there too, but I doubt there'll be such a gap.

Im pretty sure he was close to 100% on friday night

and not far off that the previous two weeks,

honestly im trying to think of a long kick caught on the full and i cant

Paullyboy

Coach
I agree Soward is in form with the boot, and I actually think he is a great player unlike so many others in this thread - but he was made to look even better thanks to Wallace's abysmal kicking game, I couldn't believe how reliable he was at putting the ball on a winger or fullbacks(from the other team) chest

SuperSoward

Juniors
It seemed Billy Slater was making extra efforts to catch the ball on the full when the Dragons versed Storm.