What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Japan Rugby League

carlnz

Bench
This is from my email confersation with Japan Rugby league...some good things starting to happen there..

There is aprox 400 juniors that are registered at the Kagoshima Broncos Club in Kyushu, there are 3 seniour clubs, the East Japan Rugby League club (Bulldogs), the Tokyo Rugby League club (warriors) and the Kagoshima Rugby League club (Bronco's)

The primary focus for the JRL is internal development, which includes most importantly Junior and then the Frontier Cup seniour tournament, there are no plans for Internationals untill a squad can be developed that will be competative.

We do send players to Australia and New Zealand from time to time to play a season with the Runaway bay club on the Gold Coast being the most supportive in recient years.

With regards to the U16 World Cup to be played soon, at this present time there is no plans to compete, the next junior tour will most likely be to the Gold Coast this year, where matches will be played against some junior teams.

I will be speaking with David Nui at the end of this month in Australia, and we will discuss furture events (reference Japan v USA match)

yakstorm

First Grade
I'm thinking the first sentance
"There is aprox 400 juniors that are registered at the Kagoshima Broncos Club in Kyushu"

Might be a bit badly worded and instead mean that there are 400 juniors between the 3 clubs.....though that said, that is still about 300 more than I'd expect in Japan.

I'd be very interested to see the break down of the competition over there to see who all the players play.

My cousin's wife was over in Japan teaching English and he made the Japanese team that play the Tomahawks .
He told me that there were five Samoan in the Japanese team and most of them just play socially against other expat Kiwi's/Aussie .

Copa

Bench
Polynesian Warrior said:
My cousin's wife was over in Japan teaching English and he made the Japanese team that play the Tomahawks .
He told me that there were five Samoan in the Japanese team and most of them just play socially against other expat Kiwi's/Aussie .

According to the Japanese RL website the Japan RL team contains some people who have played RU for Japan.

bazza

Immortal
Polynesian Warrior said:

Your cousin's wife must be a pretty good player

Heritage XIII

Juniors
"My cousin's wife was over in Japan teaching English and he made the Japanese team that play the Tomahawks .
He told me that there were five Samoan in the Japanese team and most of them just play socially against other expat Kiwi's/Aussie ."

So what? The Japanese RU have been going for decades and have vast wealth behind it, yet still fill their team with expats! I remember the Wallaby Williams (who also turned out for Oxford RL) represent Japan, plus a heap of funny lookingf black afro Japanese. Japnese RL have to make do with what they have and so be it if expats represent their national team. This is one of the few paths of development for RL given the sport was deliberatly kept decades behind by its banning in the armed & civil services of the UK, and other less kind means.

Lebanon's aapearance in the 2000 WC may not have been the most perfect of circumstances but the benefits are now being reaped.

rugged

Juniors
The World Cup Japanese team looked pretty Japanese to me.

But who could blame countries whose citizens have a natural size disadvantage of using other countries' players, whether it be for league or rugby?

dimitri

First Grade
400 juniors is great

if you go to the irb website you will see there are many countries that dont have 400 players registered in total

great work JRL keep it up

screeny

Bench
PW, so me and Heritage were laughed at by you for claiming we've lived in Cayman Islands and Korea respectively and then you come back with that immortal line about your cousin's wife....blah blah blah......irony anyone?

screeny said:
PW, so me and Heritage were laughed at by you for claiming we've lived in Cayman Islands and Korea respectively and then you come back with that immortal line about your cousin's wife....blah blah blah......irony anyone?

Sorry Screeny ! I've been away in Samoa and Tonga with the Brisbane Pacific rugby and league team .
Screeny ! It was on a Samoan website and there was a photo on it with the Samoan community working and base in Japan .
There are alot of Samoan servicemen base in Japan with the USA armed forces .
Im not suggesting that league in Japan is shit but Im 100% sure that his name is Fale ------- .
And anyone from the Otahuhu rugby league club in Auckland knows him .

Heritage XIII said:
"My cousin's wife was over in Japan teaching English and he made the Japanese team that play the Tomahawks .
He told me that there were five Samoan in the Japanese team and most of them just play socially against other expat Kiwi's/Aussie ."

So what? The Japanese RU have been going for decades and have vast wealth behind it, yet still fill their team with expats! I remember the Wallaby Williams (who also turned out for Oxford RL) represent Japan, plus a heap of funny lookingf black afro Japanese. Japnese RL have to make do with what they have and so be it if expats represent their national team. This is one of the few paths of development for RL given the sport was deliberatly kept decades behind by its banning in the armed & civil services of the UK, and other less kind means.

Lebanon's aapearance in the 2000 WC may not have been the most perfect of circumstances but the benefits are now being reaped.

Yes Heritage ! Japan does have alot of wealth and thats why the most paid rugby players in the world played there .
Its call residence . Thats why Caroll , Thorn and soon to be Kangaroo Hunt plays for Australia league .

screeny said:
How was your tour PW? Sounds like a lot of fun......

Great screeny ! We played four rugby games against clubs and provincial teams , two 7s tournaments and a league game against a Samoa X111 in Apia .
But Im not going to say that Samoa has now join the IRLF and have cross code by their thousands .
Its only a game .

taipan

Referee
Polynesian Warrior said:
Heritage XIII said:

Yes Heritage ! Japan does have alot of wealth and thats why the most paid rugby players in the world played there .
Its call residence . Thats why Caroll , Thorn and soon to be Kangaroo Hunt plays for Australia league .

And Gregan,and South African winger,and South American prop played for the Wallabies. ;-)

rugbynotsoccer

Juniors
dimitri: "if you go to the irb website you will see there are many countries that dont have 400 players registered in total"
RL achieved a good starthold in japan congrats but why be cocky with your irb comment..
I checked the IRB site your full of shit only a few countries have less then 400 mainly ones with small population stop taking cheap pot shots.

Japan
Pre-teen male players 23810
Teen male players 41212
Total male players 125917

wonder whats the total for RL france..

taipan

Referee
rugbynotsoccer said:
dimitri: "if you go to the irb website you will see there are many countries that dont have 400 players registered in total"
RL achieved a good starthold in japan congrats but why be cocky with your irb comment..
I checked the IRB site your full of sh*t only a few countries have less then 400 mainly ones with small population stop taking cheap pot shots.

Japan
Pre-teen male players 23810
Teen male players 41212
Total male players 125917

wonder whats the total for RL france..

And with those numbers they still relied on a couple of outsiders in the 2003 RUWC.The standard must be ordinary.