What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jarrod Croker best young centre in the game?

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Has he selected sides yet?[FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]
[/FONT]

Former Bronco Dane Gagai won't rule out having a run for Kiwis

• by: Peter Badel
  • August 12, 2012 12:00AM

Dane Gagai in action for the Newcastle Knights against the Warriors. Picture: Cornaga/photosport.co.nz AndrewSource: The Daily Telegraph

THE trans-Tasman selection tug-of-war is set to intensify with one of the NRL's hottest backline talents, former Broncos ace Dane Gagai, revealing he is eligible for the Kiwis.

The code's representative eligibility rules have come under fierce scrutiny this season after New Zealand-born Cowboys prop James Tamou stunned the Kiwis by renouncing his ties only 10 days before turning out for Australia in April's Anzac Test.
The dust had barely settled on the "Turncoat Tamou'' saga when it emerged the Queensland hierarchy had sounded out fellow Kiwi prop Sam Kasiano, who remains undecided about his representative future.
Now Gagai is the latest NRL top-liner to outline his dual-eligibility status.
Sacked by the Broncos eight weeks ago for a slew of minor disciplinary breaches, Gagai has been a revelation under Wayne Bennett at the Knights, and, on current form, could be a left-field consideration for the October 13 Test against Australia.

Advertisement

Ahead of Newcastle's clash against the Sharks tomorrow night, Gagai confirmed his Kiwi ties but is in no rush to decide his representative future.
"My mum is a Kiwi, so I can play for New Zealand. I have a mix of cultures,'' Gagai said. "I've never lived in New Zealand I was born and raised in Australia but I'm proud of my Kiwi heritage.''
Gagai represented the Junior Kangaroos last season but, under the current rules, he could still pledge his senior allegiance to the Kiwis.
Aiding New Zealand's chances of snaring Gagai is that his cousin, Broncos fullback Josh Hoffman, made his Kiwi debut this year after renouncing his ties with Queensland.
"I'm not sure if the Kiwis know about me but my cousin 'Hoffy' (Hoffman) is a Kiwi," Gagai said.
"My mum and Hoffy's dad (Shane) are brother and sister. We grew up together in Mackay, we were next door neighbours for years and we've been inseparable ever since."
Asked if Hoffman had attempted to sway Gagai, he said: "Josh doesn't mention the Kiwis to me so there's no pressure there. I have a lot to learn in the NRL first but I wouldn't rule anything out."
NZRL high-performance manager Tony Kemp said he was aware of Gagai's eligibility and had been watching his recent performances.
"At this stage, we're going around talking to guys and Dane is on our extended list of Kiwis to keep an eye on," Kemp said.

Spot On

Coach
I needed a good laugh after attempting to watch one of the worst games of league in history tonight.

de$$ie

Juniors
hes not the best but hes pretty good. reliable first grader and has some points in him.

some11

Referee
Has he selected sides yet?

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news-display/KNIGHTS-INSIDER--Dane-Gagai/61774

@bryant_clint via Twitter: Dane what state do you qualify for, NSW or QLD?

DG: I am a Queenslander through and through.

@Richie_Day via Twitter and Bec Anderson via email: Dane if selected for the Kiwi tests after the NRL season, will you choose the Kiwi’s over QLD?

DG: I haven’t even given that a thought to be honest. I am just worried about doing my job for Newcastle because I still have a lot to learn.
Hmm...

1qaz

Juniors
Good to see you hop the bandwagon somr11!

Lisa Luck via email: Hi Wayne, I noticed Dane Gagai wasn't part of the Queensland Emerging Origin squad. Is he planning to represent New Zealand instead?

WB: No he is an Indigenous boy so Queensland is where he is going.

1qaz

Juniors
Born in Macktown.

Source: theherald
THE fancy footwork and backhand offloads evoke memories of a former Knights crowd favourite.
But if Dane Gagai is flattered by comparisons to retired champion and current Knights CEO Matt Gidley, he insists any similarities are coincidental.
Gidley played his 221st and last game in the blue and red in 2006, when Gagai was 15, and the Mackay-born flyer has only vague memories of the man who starred in Newcastle's 2001 grand final win, was a NSW and Kangaroos regular and and was an inaugural inductee last year in the club's Hall of Fame.
"I didn't really watch too much footy as a young kid," Gagai told the Newcastle Herald.
"I was too busy out in the yard playing footy myself.
"But I remember people talking about the Gidley flick, and it's something I'd like to get into my game. It's come off now and again."
Gagai may be unfamiliar with Gidley's illustrious career, but his resemblance to the man who once wore the No.3 jersey he has inherited is uncanny.
Like Gidley, he has a rare ability to worry rival defenders, either beating them with an in-and-away or drawing them in to create space for tryscoring machine Akuila Uate.
Albeit at a formative stage of their relationship, Gagai and Uate appear on track to become the most prolific centre-wing combination in Newcastle's history.
Gidley had famous partnerships with Darren Albert, Timana Tahu and Irish import Brian Carney.
But in their 13 games side by side, Gagai and Uate have already produced a remarkable 22 tries, five of which came in the season-opening win against Wests Tigers, via a Uate hat-trick and Gagai double.
"It comes off our forward pack," Gagai said.
"When they get rolling, it makes it easier for the backs . . . but I've found that me and Aku are starting to click and starting to find something.
"We're just trying to take it week by week and keep getting better.
"I try not to think about it too much. Me and Aku are just instinct players."
Gagai was a speculative mid-season signing by Knights coach Wayne Bennett last year when he was sacked by the Broncos for disciplinary breaches.
At the time Bennett declared Gagai, who had played in six NRL games and scored four tries, had a "God-given talent" that could not be coached.
After scoring a try on debut for the Knights against Canberra in round 14, the converted winger continued to enhance his reputation in a struggling team, and Bennett predicted after Monday night's performance that the best was yet to come.
"I think he showed us a lot last year, but like Willie [Mason], he came in halfway through the season," Bennett said. "What they did was quite remarkable, the way they played.
"But they're going to be a lot better this year because they've had a pre-season with us and been in the club for a period of time.
"He's a wonderful talent."
Newcastle fullback Darius Boyd, a veteran of 14 games for Queensland, felt it would not be long before Gagai was in contention for an Origin call-up.
"He's only going to get better and better," Boyd said. "He's only a young kid.
"He's had a good pre-season. He's strong, fast, he's got all the skills and I'm sure he'll be a rep player in years to come . . . Justin Hodges, while he's a great player, he's getting older, and if Gaggs can play the way he's started off and can keep his form up, I'm sure he'll get a good chance."
Gagai said playing Origin was a childhood dream but "my focus for now is purely on Newcastle, getting off to a good start and maintaining that."
That means preparing himself for an intimidating showdown with Manly enforcer Steve Matai at Brookvale Oval on Sunday.
"He's always a dangerous player," Gagai said.
"He's worn that international jersey for New Zealand. He's a big guy, strong, can hit, got good footwork.
"I'm just looking forward to the challenge . . . I've just got be ready for whatever comes my way, and if it's a big Steve Matai shoulder, I'll do my best to avoid that."

Noname36

First Grade
I still remember a game towards the end of 2011 when Croker was absolutely destroyed in both defence and attack by Adam McDougall. Yes, 35 year old Mad Dog.

mongoose

Coach
He's not the best young centre in the game but he's not as bad as some people beleive. He's stronger and more elusive than he looks. He's deficiencies have been more to do with his decision making in defence and attack, but he has improved in those areas.

Besides there is only one Raiders fan who calls him the best young centre in the game. A large proportion of Raiders fans have debated on whether he should even be in the team.

aqua_duck

Coach
He's not the best young centre in the game but he's not as bad as some people beleive. He's stronger and more elusive than he looks. He's deficiencies have been more to do with his decision making in defence and attack, but he has improved in those areas.

Besides there is only one Raiders fan who calls him the best young centre in the game. A large proportion of Raiders fans have debated on whether he should even be in the team.

I think Lee and Wighton have a lot more potential TBH.

Latest posts