What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jarrod Mullen picked as NSW halfback

Dutchy

Immortal
Bit O Trivia

Mullen and Inglis played in the same side in the Newcastle comp.

Newcastle Wests

I remember in a semi final - they carved us up( South Newcastle)

Inglis broke my ribs that game

Dazzat

First Grade
I'd imagine, Gene, that you don't own a pair of binoculars ... that would be a waste on a one-eyed Newcastle supporter.

I'll keep my sentences short ...

Wally was a 5/8, Lockyer was a fullback, Alfie was a halfback, Hunt is a fullback. Carroll is a lock. Webke was a prop. They played in different eras in different positions.

Andrew Johns was a halfback. Jarrod Mullen is a halfback. Jarrod Mullen is taking over what was considered Andrew John's spot ... they both play or played for the same club. There are plenty of other halfbacks of equal ability as Jarrod Mullen currently available for NSW. Some have more experienced. What role do you think Andrew Johns played in his selection? None I hear you say ... my flying bacon detector has just gone off.

Gene Krupa

Referee
Dazzat said:
I'd imagine, Gene, that you don't own a pair of binoculars ... that would be a waste on a one-eyed Newcastle supporter.

I'll keep my sentences short ...

Wally was a 5/8, Lockyer was a fullback, Alfie was a halfback, Hunt is a fullback. Carroll is a lock. Webke was a prop. They played in different eras in different positions.

Andrew Johns was a halfback. Jarrod Mullen is a halfback. Jarrod Mullen is taking over what was considered Andrew John's spot ... they both play or played for the same club. There are plenty of other halfbacks of equal ability as Jarrod Mullen currently available for NSW. Some have more experienced. What role do you think Andrew Johns played in his selection? None I hear you say ... my flying bacon detector has just gone off.

So f**king what? So a player from the same team can't play in a position that another teammate has played in? Qld logic is so backward! :lol:

Dazzat

First Grade
Gene Krupa said:
So f**king what? So a player from the same team can't play in a position that another teammate has played in? Qld logic is so backward! :lol:

Nothing wrong with a player from the same time taking over the position of a former legend ... but usually winning a position on merit is a more "logical" option.

So which eye can you use, your left or right?

Gene Krupa

Referee
Dazzat said:
Nothing wrong with a player from the same time taking over the position of a former legend ... but usually winning a position on merit is a more "logical" option.

Why are you to decide on the merit of a player? Winning it in the way that Alfie did over a more established player? It's called a bolter and they've been picked since the first rep side.

And obviously you see Mullen as a threat, as you should, considering you're going for Queensland. What does it matter to you WHO NSW pick for their side?

Now I'll go get a ladder so you can get down off your high horse.

Dazzat

First Grade
Gene Krupa said:
Why are you to decide on the merit of a player? Winning it in the way that Alfie did over a more established player? It's called a bolter and they've been picked since the first rep side.

And obviously you see Mullen as a threat, as you should, considering you're going for Queensland. What does it matter to you WHO NSW pick for their side?

Now I'll go get a ladder so you can get down off your high horse.

This may help that sore spot ... ;-)

I wouldn't need a ladder to get off a horse by the way ... gravity will be fine.

Gene Krupa

Referee
Dazzat said:

So you've basically conceeded defeat. Typical.

And just like you'll come crashing down in a weeks time!

Dazzat

First Grade
Yes, Gene, I've conceded defeat to a superior intellect and debator ... that last one about being "scared of Mullen" and "the high horse" really got me.

Dazzat

First Grade
You are right about the great Andrew Johns changing the world as we know it. If children follow his example, his legacy will be very influential:

1. Kids will start yelling obsenties at the referee whenever a decision doesn't go their way
2. They will fail to turn up to important functions when they don't feel like it, and think nothing of disappointing thousands of people
3. They'll blame being poor losers on being "so competitive"

Thank God for players like Shane Webke and Petero Civ ... ultra competitive, giving their all, but humble enough to know they aren't God.

Pika

Bench
Interesting take on Andrew Johns.

I guess the same could be done to any player.

Lets take my favourite play maker of all time, Wally Lewis, he certainly changed the game, we even errected a statute of him -

1. Spitting, great stuff.

2. Talk about competitive, but was there a worse player for blowing up at a referee.

3. Chain smoker..... ooooh the children.

Lets not stop there, what about, in my opinion, the best back rower of the modern era, Gordon Tallis -

1. Sets a new standard for complaining to referees.....

2. Firing shots off for no reason at a player who is not fighting back. You got it......oooh the poor children.

the list goes on.

Players are not perfect.

Seriously, Wally and Gordon would be two of the best players I have ever seen, but let not sit here and list their faults....

Dazzat

First Grade
Us Queenslanders have had to sit through hours of 'tributes' to Andrew Johns, proclaiming his greatness ... didn't see one of these incidents mentioned along the way ... funny that. On the other hand, at the time of their doing, Wally's and Gordon's faults were played over and over in the press ... and when they retired, not quite the same press coverage and adulation from the NSW-dominated rugby league press. We were certainly reminded ad nauseum of their faults. Not Andrew Johns though ...

Just attempting to bring a little balance to the ledger ... Andrew Johns was a great player ...

And yes, I am concerned about the example players set for children. Pika obviously doesn't think they have an affect. As a junior coach I can tell you I see it every week.

Pika

Bench
No mate, I agree, they do have an effect. But you cant single Johns out in that capacity.

You cant blame Johns for the way he is depicted by the media either.

The simple fact is, all great players have their faults, in any sport, but pointing them out as how they contributed to the game is a bit narrow minded.

As A NSW supporter living in NSW, I had a hard time supporting the Tallis and Lewis case. But I never judged them for their bad behaviour, it was always their football which I admired.

Dazzat

First Grade
To get back to the original point .... because of Andrew John's inflated influence within NSW rugby league circles, Jarrod Mullen is going to get pasted by Lockyer and Thurston ...

The guy has played only a handful of games in first grade. Not only is he making his debut at Suncorp, he's given the task of leading the NSW team around the park, with scant backup from Zoolander at 5/8.

Take Queensland's approach. Israel Falou is the competition's leading try scorer. Undoubted talent. Only a winger, little responsibility compared to a halfback, but the selectors, in the interest of his long term career, would not even consider picking him.

One bad pass has virtually ruined Kimmorley's Origin career ... I hope for Mullen's sake he's solid and does nothing stupid (without being too good of course from a Queensland point of view). He's awfully young to be branded with some tag from a stupid mistake.

bluesbreaker

Bench
Lockyer will do nothing as usual, it'll be Thurston if anyone who "pastes" Mullen. You all talk about Willie going missing in Origin, when was the last time Lockyer won an Origin through brilliance (Not Hodgeson's stupidity, he did nothing in that game before that)? He starts every season that he's played at 5/8th in sh*t form, this is probably the worst of the lot, despite what the bronco commentators say every friday night. "Oh Lockyer, look at how he nearly kicked that goal, pure genius!"

Watch him have a blinder now ;).

bluesbreaker

Bench
Actually, whilst we're talking about role models. How about Lockyer's little crack at a woman getting allegedly pack raped? Great role model there!

And Webcke, lol, he should've copped a 24 match ban like Macdougal did. but of course the broncos and the NRL covered it up. Another great role model. He gets no respect from me anymore.

Raider_69

Post Whore
bluesbreaker said:
commentators say every friday night. "Oh Lockyer, look at how he nearly kicked that goal, pure genius!"

the same thing could often be said about a recently retired NSW halfback ;-)

Raider_69

Post Whore
bluesbreaker said:
Actually, whilst we're talking about role models. How about Lockyer's little crack at a woman getting allegedly pack raped? Great role model there!

Ohh stop it bluesbreaker, anyone with a sense of humour pissed em selves at lockyer's rehased joked, i bet even you had a bit of a giggle when you herd it

lockyno1

Post Whore
The timing of the joke was not great, but anyone with a sense of humour had a bit of a laugh, I agree R69.

Dazzat

First Grade
bluesbreaker said:

And Webcke, lol, he should've copped a 24 match ban like Macdougal did. but of course the broncos and the NRL covered it up. Another great role model. He gets no respect from me anymore.

You're trying hard to land some punches BB, but you're looking like former AFL-loud mouth Mark Jackson in the boxing ring with Mal Meninga ... I didn't even get a chance to visit the fridge during that bout ...

A drug test picked up that Shane Webke had a performance-enhancing drug in his system - but it was administered by a doctor to SAVE HIS LIFE from a serious knee infection. You should read his book - Warhorse (great read) to inform yourself before shooting off. On the other hand MacDougall was caught taking performance-enhancing drugs to help SAVE HIS EGO AND CAREER. Can you see the difference?

bluesbreaker

Bench
Dazzat said:
You're trying hard to land some punches BB, but you're looking like former AFL-loud mouth Mark Jackson in the boxing ring with Mal Meninga ... I didn't even get a chance to visit the fridge during that bout ...

A drug test picked up that Shane Webke had a performance-enhancing drug in his system - but it was administered by a doctor to SAVE HIS LIFE from a serious knee infection. You should read his book - Warhorse (great read) to inform yourself before shooting off. On the other hand MacDougall was caught taking performance-enhancing drugs to help SAVE HIS EGO AND CAREER. Can you see the difference?

I just came across this pearler. HAHAHAHA. SAVE HIS LIFE IN CAPITAL LETTERS, MAKES A POINT DOES IT?!

Perhaps if you did a little research, you'd know Macdougal is still on Nandrolone for his medical condition. If he couldn't take it, he would've died himself. He has medical clearance for it, yet he still copped a 2 year ban (roundabouts). Webcke, however, had it covered up, it wasn't even released to the media. Can you explain that one to me? Noone gives a sh*t about what his (ghostwriter) wrote in his autobiography, you f**king spastic. Of course he's gonna come out and say he needed it to live, he wouldn't very well come out and say "yeah, I was juicing, got caught you know, we covered it up, broncos sorted me out good and proper". Afterall, how will we ever know one way or the other? There's plenty of crooked doctors around, especially in Queensland (Mr Patel if you please).

So how about you "inform yourself" before "shooting off" in the future, idiot.

And btw Raiduh, even in Andrew Johns' poor games he'd set up two tries, kick goals from all over the field, set up a linebreak and break the line himself. THAT'S why the commentators went on about him, noone else can match him in that respect.