What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jarryd Hayne, Greg Inglis, Israel Folau fitter and stronger

eloquentEEL

First Grade
Jarryd Hayne, Greg Inglis, Israel Folau fitter and stronger

By Dean Ritchie, Russell Gould and Matt Marshall | February 21, 2009 12:00am
Have your say!Add your comments or read what others are saying

0,,6496521,00.jpg
New bodies ... Jarryd Hayne, Israel Folau and Greg Inglis. / The Daily Telegraph

THEY have grown into physical monsters, three rugby league superstars who have become bigger, fitter, better and faster for 2009. Parramatta's Jarryd Hayne has bulked-up 4kg to play five-eighth while Melbourne's Greg Inglis has added 5kg to his already im- posing frame.
And Brisbane has overhauled Israel Folau's running style in an effort to make league's most freakish attacking weapon even more potent.
It is frightening what level the trio may reach this season.
Hayne played fullback last year at 98kg but is now at 102kg, saying: "I've been training like a forward.
"I used to bludge in weights but I've really got amongst it in this off-season. My acceleration may be down a little but my top speed hasn't changed.
"I needed some more weight because of the extra defensive work I'll be doing at five-eighth.
Related Links

"Playing five-eighth is another challenge for me. I've been given first crack and hopefully I can stay there."
Gallery: NRL hot bods - by reader demand
Inglis has also had a summer growth spurt and weighs in at 106kg, most of the extra bulk sitting around the waist area. But opposition sides would be foolish to think that Inglis is overweight.
"I've still maintained my speed and my footwork and the agility side of it, and I've still got my balance so I don't struggle to carry it at all," Inglis said.
"I've put on a bit too, and weigh in around 105kg or 106kg. As long as I can carry it and maintain it, the coaching staff won't be too worried about it."
Amazingly, Inglis did not intend to increase his weight - it just happened.
"I just think I am a late developer with my body," he said. "It happened naturally. I didn't change my diet. I didn't change anything.
"It actually happened during the World Cup last November. I started weighing in at 102, then 105 and it was going up and down a bit.
"I thought I would have lost it doing all the training, but I've held on to most of it."
Folau, 19, is poised to revolutionise rugby league.
In a cutting-edge move, Brisbane's conditioning team, led by high-performance manager Dean Benton, have had the former Storm sensation honing a new running technique.
Using analysis compiled by Dutch running mechanics expert Frans Bosch, Folau is expected to boost his pace this season by an impressive one metre a second.
And in another mouth-watering proposition for Brisbane fans, Folau has also upped his weights-room output and toned down his chiselled 195cm physique.
"I've gotten a lot fitter and quicker than last year and I feel stronger," Folau said.
"I've improved. I feel a lot better and that's why I can't wait to get out there and see how it goes.
"I'm definitely looking forward to playing with the new guys here."

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,25083761-5006066,00.html

emil1989

Juniors
hayne aint a 5/8..never was, never will be..at least inglis has the capability to be a good 5/8 and has the passing games and can kick a bit..and he also can have an unselfish mindset..whilst hayne is more of an independant player who thinks they can do everything by themselves..it wont work out..mateo will end up there after losing some weight during the season

hindy111

Post Whore
well gasnier never cut it and personly i dont think inglis is as good there as at centre.
Thou lockyer made it there and i think karmichael goes ok too when playing there.
Not sure about hayne.I guess it is there weak spot and coach must not think keating is good enough?I like hayne running straight which he cant do at centre and not sure at 5/8-Id put him at fullback if doesnt work-i guess our backline is full of options

lingard

Coach
He might be in a photograph with the other two, but Hayne`s not in the same class as them. Not yet, at least.

lingard

Coach
Sorry, something`s happening to my computer. It`s doing things on its own....it`s......aaahhhh!!!...

lingard

Coach
Jarryd did a good job of placing the onions on my sausage sandwich this morning at the fan day.

Yep, he`s our most talented back, all right. Luke Burt would probably have dropped some onions. And Krisnan Inu wouldn`t have cooked them properly; Finch wouldn`t have known where to place them and might have bumped the sausage right off the bread and onto the ground. But Jarred is a talent. Did he put the sauce on evenly and smoothly, too? I bet he did.

Last edited:

Latest posts