What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jarryd Hayne - Make him an Eel for Life

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I think there is a big difference between leadership on a sports filed and leadership in the corporate industry

for a start good leaders in sports are generally high class athletes, hence my claim that it cant be coached
There is a leadership industry attached to sports as well. It isn’t just the corporates that invest in it.

Leadership can most definitely be cultivated in players.

Eelogical

Referee
I would make Hayne, Gutherson and Brown co captains for next season.

Edit: I like Timmy Mannah but I don't consider him to be the type of leader we need.
I disagree. After thinking about it for a while I don't see any of those as captain, short term or long term. I'm going to wait until I see the all important 30 for next year before commenting further.

Suitman

Post Whore
I disagree. After thinking about it for a while I don't see any of those as captain, short term or long term. I'm going to wait until I see the all important 30 for next year before commenting further.

It pisses me off a bit that clubs choose to appoint more than one captain.
FFS, pick a leader and be done with it. A true leader.
Why do we need a club captain and a team captain and whoever else.
It's just stupid and trying to appease several players.

Just 1 player, who is respected by all, should be selected.

emjaycee

Coach

I think it's a generation thing mate.
Participation Awards and all that. No one wants to be left out cause that's not fair.

emjaycee

Coach
I dont think leadership is something that we can develop, it is something that comes natural imo

there are some things you just cant coach
Leadership qualities are natural in cross sections of all people, regardless of their chosen career and are definitely something that can be developed through coaching

Eelogical

Referee

Totally agree. Just saying.....WTF is a Captains Run? I remember a time where there was a coach and a team captain...........THE END! Now we have Heads Of Football, Head Coaches, Attacking Coaches, Defensive Coaches, Mentoring Coaches. I'm lost.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Totally agree. Just saying.....WTF is a Captains Run? I remember a time where there was a coach and a team captain...........THE END! Now we have Heads Of Football, Head Coaches, Attacking Coaches, Defensive Coaches, Mentoring Coaches. I'm lost.
Don’t forget coach of Yamba visits.

T-Boon

Coach

I am completely down with getting rid of a bunch of coaches. Each NRL team should be allowed one coach. Over coaching has essentially ruined the last 15 years of the code.

emjaycee

Coach
I am completely down with getting rid of a bunch of coaches. Each NRL team should be allowed one coach. Over coaching has essentially ruined the last 15 years of the code.
A little thing called full-time professional sport.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
And the game as a spectacle has never been worse.

T-Boon

Coach
Why would they? Their job is to win games of football.

Exactly, the best interests of NRL coaches is almost diametrically apposed to the best interests of the code over all. Thats why they should have nothing to do with the rules and in fact those in charge of the rules should pretty much consider NRL coaches to be the enemy.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Exactly, the best interests of NRL coaches is almost diametrically apposed to the best interests of the code over all. Thats why they should have nothing to do with the rules and in fact those in charge of the rules should pretty much consider NRL coaches to be the enemy.
They can’t ignore coaches and coaching trends completely because a big focus should be about trying to understand how the rules will be exploited.

They are often very reactionary, as if they hadn’t thought that coaches might take advantage of a certain rule until it actually happens.