What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jarryd Hayne to play for Fiji

strider

Post Whore
Eelementary said:
Agreed. I hate when people do that - play for Ireland? Cool. Sweet. Just don't come back and play for Australia later on :fist:.
So you think it'd be best if the other countries NEVER had talent from Australia play for them - cos I'd be willing to bet that ANY young guy like Hayne who is at least some shot at playing for Australia in the future would say "thanks but no thanks - i wanna have my shot at a green and gold jumper" .... so basically the smaller countries would never go anywhere

strider

Post Whore
yeah I believe hunt spent some of his youth in qld and obviously wanted to play for the maroons

<UPtheEELS> said:
Tweak the rules so if you play for your country whether it be NZ, Fiji etc you can still play origin.

Nope, Origin is for NSWelshmen and Qlders.

Why not, instead, give NZ its own Origin? Either North v South or Maori v Polynesian or something like that?

This would then give us the opportunity to, down the track, even combine both and stage a 4-team Origin series that would absolutely destroy the Super 14s and give the Pacific Islands the perfect platform to develop a larger group of high quality International players to take part in International and Test football.

There are obviously complications in regards to where you can fit it into the calendar etc, but I've actually already thought of this and it could turn out to be better for the whole NRL (in terms of developing players etc) if people were willing to think outside the box and contemplate non-traditional ideas and concepts.

I know this has kind of gone off on a tangent, but the whole way we structure and stage rugby league around the world (at all levels) needs to be rethought and rebuilt so that the game as a whole can develop further and progress to the level that it can potentially get to.

Hurriflatch

Referee
I can understand people not wanting players to play for small countries and then coming back to play for Australia, Great Britian or New Zealand, I myself didn't think El Masri should've been allowed to play for Australia a couple of years ago after he had already played from Lebanon (although I copped a lot of abuse when I said that) but the rules are there to allow this to happen so it's time to just accept that an move in.

With that in mind I think it's very good that Hayne has decided to go down this path he said a couple of weeks ago that because Manoa played for Fiji one of his goals was to do the same.

eels_fan_01

Bench
Ill support him, i mean its not like Australia need anymore players and Fiji arent exactly a superpower. Good for international league.

Hollywood Jesus said:
Nope, Origin is for NSWelshmen and Qlders.

Why not, instead, give NZ its own Origin? Either North v South or Maori v Polynesian or something like that?

This would then give us the opportunity to, down the track, even combine both and stage a 4-team Origin series that would absolutely destroy the Super 14s and give the Pacific Islands the perfect platform to develop a larger group of high quality International players to take part in International and Test football.

There are obviously complications in regards to where you can fit it into the calendar etc, but I've actually already thought of this and it could turn out to be better for the whole NRL (in terms of developing players etc) if people were willing to think outside the box and contemplate non-traditional ideas and concepts.

I know this has kind of gone off on a tangent, but the whole way we structure and stage rugby league around the world (at all levels) needs to be rethought and rebuilt so that the game as a whole can develop further and progress to the level that it can potentially get to.

the nzrl have tried to get their own origin series running for a few years (backed by wayne bennett) but the nrl clubs (would be esl clubs as well but they was not asked in trying to get it started) would not release the players for it.

Latest posts