What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jarryd Hayne to play for Fiji

strider

Post Whore
jarryd is still a NSW qualified player tho - he just has heritage from another country

if players were made to pick a country and stick to it then no small countries would ever get any talent ..... cos if u have talent and pick and little country you'll only get to play international footy once in a blue moon .... face facts, rugby league is not a true international sport and probably never will be

its great that he can play for Fiji as an up and comer but then still be able to play rep games for Australia later on.

Stagger eel

Staff member
<UPtheEELS> said:
The rules of eligibility state that Australians can only play Origin. TBH this is a big reason why the international game is so weak. Tweak the rules so if you play for your country whether it be NZ, Fiji etc you can still play origin.

I'm sure his elligible for NSW if he plays for minow in the world cup. as was the case for Adrian Lam and Luke Ricketson.

Utey

Coach
eelavation said:
I'm sure his elligible for NSW if he plays for minow in the world cup. as was the case for Adrian Lam and Luke Ricketson.

Maybe a reason why K.Hunt didnt play for NZ, the allure of Origin was more then enough to make him play for QLD rather than NZ.

strider

Post Whore
i'm sure k hunt wanted to play for australia and play origin ... if u play for NZ u can't do either (these days - they've changed it since big chin did it) - NZ isn't a minnow

Utey

Coach
What Iam saying is, with the state of the international game I can understand why he made that decision.

strider

Post Whore
<UPtheEELS> said:
What Iam saying is, with the state of the international game I can understand why he made that decision.
ahhhh - mmmmm true ..... tho i still think he was more keen to play for aust than nz anyway - but yeah origin may have overridden all desires

eelavation said:
funnily enough I don't think he has any NZ blood in him...
the only thing that got him anything close to new zealand is because his dad spent a lot of time living in new zealand (i am assuming jarryd didn't live with his dad)

Stagger eel

Staff member
douglasallen91 said:
the only thing that got him anything close to new zealand is because his dad spent a lot of time living in new zealand (i am assuming jarryd didn't live with his dad)

I'm assuming while he was contracted to the Aukland Warriors? if so, that would be riduculous..but it is his choice.

Parra2006

Juniors
Hayne has stated he would like to play for both.
he wants to play for Fiji till he becomes more mature as a footballer
then when he is ready will put his hand up for Australia

eelavation said:
I'm assuming while he was contracted to the Aukland Warriors? if so, that would be riduculous..but it is his choice.

nothing new its just like all the kids of the kiwis playing in aussie, they can play for aussie too. hasn't kurt sorensons kids pledged to aussie.

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
Does anyone else think that by World cup 2008 he may have already played Origin and be in line for an Australian jumper. If so what decision does he then make?. Looking ahead I know but the kid is something special and it would not suprise me.

However his current decision to pledge allegiance(sp) to Fiji is a very honourable one.

T-BONE MCGRAW said:
Does anyone else think that by World cup 2008 he may have already played Origin and be in line for an Australian jumper. If so what decision does he then make?. Looking ahead I know but the kid is something special and it would not suprise me.

However his current decision to pledge allegiance(sp) to Fiji is a very honourable one.
hopefully he doesn't turn out like your last two supposely stars, smith and witt.

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
douglasallen91 said:
hopefully he doesn't turn out like your last two supposely stars, smith and witt.

What's wrong with Smith. He will turn out to be a very good halfback imo.

Oh and by the way you guys have signed Witt. Not our problem anymore (I assume you are a warriors fan)

Eelementary

Post Whore
What's the point of having International Rugby League, anyway? It's a joke.

The only way to make it better is to run actual World Cups and Test matches often.

And if I was in charge, I would tell players to think carefully about who they play for - once they make their decision, it's final. No more of this Ricketson playing for Ireland, NSW and Australia rubbish.

A_J_Gray

Juniors
Eelementary said:
What's the point of having International Rugby League, anyway? It's a joke.

The only way to make it better is to run actual World Cups and Test matches often.

And if I was in charge, I would tell players to think carefully about who they play for - once they make their decision, it's final. No more of this Ricketson playing for Ireland, NSW and Australia rubbish.

Here here.
None of this I will play for Fiji to help myself mature to play for Australia.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Agreed. I hate when people do that - play for Ireland? Cool. Sweet. Just don't come back and play for Australia later on :fist:.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
<UPtheEELS> said:
The rules of eligibility state that Australians can only play Origin. TBH this is a big reason why the international game is so weak. Tweak the rules so if you play for your country whether it be NZ, Fiji etc you can still play origin.

Are you kidding? It's called STATE OF ORIGIN not pick who you want to play for! Allowing people from other countries to play for QLD or NSW is just pissing on the whole concept. It's supposed to be a passionate game, how can anyone get fired up about defending your state when you look beside you and see 8 or 9 Kiwis who only want to play in the game because of what a great game it always turns out to be. It's a joke, but that's wandering off topic.

Good luck to Jarryd, a young star like him playing for Fiji can only be great for the game.

strider

Post Whore
ParraDude_Jay said:
Are you kidding? It's called STATE OF ORIGIN not pick who you want to play for! Allowing people from other countries to play for QLD or NSW is just pissing on the whole concept. It's supposed to be a passionate game, how can anyone get fired up about defending your state when you look beside you and see 8 or 9 Kiwis who only want to play in the game because of what a great game it always turns out to be. It's a joke, but that's wandering off topic.

Good luck to Jarryd, a young star like him playing for Fiji can only be great for the game.

cos generally these "people from other countries" actually GREW UP HERE and do have an affinity with NSW or Qld.