What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jason Taumalolo opts to play for Tonga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meth

Staff member
As a Kiwi fan, good.

We really need him to play for us, but International Rugby League needs him to play for Tonga- right now- at the top of his game.

adamkungl

Immortal
Will be playing for Samoa I guess?
Choosing Australia over NZ was definitely overrating himself.

Meth

Staff member
Will be playing for Samoa I guess?
Choosing Australia over NZ was definitely overrating himself.

Still happy to see Tamou’s career on the decline.

I think Papalii is suffering for playing for the Raiders. But yeah. Good

davi

Juniors
It's alright to blame David Kidwell, but Jason Taumalolo decision is based on Jesse Bromwich and Kevin Proctor being left out of the squad. What is Kidwell supposed to do, bring them back to please Taumalolo?

Face it guys Kidwell had no choice to sack those guys. If he overlooked it, it would send a message to the rest of the players they can misbehave with no consequences. I'm not saying Kidwell is a great coach, but he made the right decision and soon as you start letting the players dictate the rules you are finished.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
It's alright to blame David Kidwell, but Jason Taumalolo decision is based on Jesse Bromwich and Kevin Proctor being left out of the squad.
Thats not the real reason. When did Taumalolo learn that Proctor and Bromwich wasnt too play in the RLWC? Yesterday or ages ago?

Taumalolo is just using that as an excuse. I think there maybe a little truth to the Proc and Brom excuse but its been said that he was on the radio saying he didn't like the kiwi coaching staff. Also he's a proud Tongan and is willing to take the pay cut to play for them. Those reasons sound more reasonable to me.

King hit

Coach
Can't help but feel it is a win-loss situation. The win is that Tonga will be stronger and more competitive making them stronger and could hopefully encourage more players but the downside is that NZ are even weaker now that their best player opted out.

Burns

First Grade
Wonder who else will now jump ship?

Curiously, I wonder what the response would have been if an Australian player such as Andrew Fifta etc opted to play for a 2nd tier nation when they would clearly make one of the 'Big 3'.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Great for Tonga but geez - we really need NZ to be competitive at this World Cup especially as they co-host it and missing out on one of the world's best players really stings. I also believe there is no Luke or Foran to add to the existing absenses of Bromwich and Proctor. This could get ugly for the Kiwis.

Not good for the game unfortunatelty.

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
From memory in the lead up to the 2013 world cup there was an article in one of the preview magazines where Taumalolo said he choose to play for Tonga when NZ enquired. He's addition to an already strong Tongan team and they could easily make the prelim final maybe even a step further depending on the squad

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Outside of Taumalolo who do the Tongans have in their forward pack to really challenge the other teams? I don't think discount Fafita and discount Kaufusi will be enough and the withdrawls/bans of a few players means that guys like Taukeiaho and Ma'u are more likely to be picked for NZ.

They have a lot of backs to choose from, especially if Jennings makes himself available for Tonga. Jennings, Hopoate, Lolohea, Vatuvei, Kata, Hurrell etc

Status
Not open for further replies.