What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jason Taumalolo opts to play for Tonga

Status
Not open for further replies.

morningstar

Juniors
Sounds like he doesn't like confrontation, I notice he seems to have difficulty making eye contact in interviews too.

Not defending Lolo but Kidwell comes across as pretty fiery, probably wanted to avoid that spray lol.

Absolute chicken shit from Lolo if true.

It perpetuates the sterotype of PI's being scared of confrontation and being dressed down by the coaches in front of the boys.

DC_fan

Coach
This was previously the case. And the result was that the island nations were less competitive, as players opted to play for NZ and OZ.

I understand what you're saying about the eligibility rules seeming not quite right, but I don't think your solution ivcreases competitiveness.

It is up to the powers to be to make it more attractive for players like Fifita to play for their island nation.

Vee

First Grade
It is up to the powers to be to make it more attractive for players like Fifita to play for their island nation.
Sounds like it’s working just fine to me atm. Latest is Papa, a regular contender for Oz at his best, selected for Samoa.

Things are hotting up in the Rugby League World Cup.

Rory

Juniors
Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

Spit it out or bin it lad

Honestly, all these players being eligible for the pacific nations might take a toll on ireland, scotland, wales, france. I shouldnt be too worried about Wales because league is becoming a favourite over there. Its just the euro teams dont have all this depth like the pacific nations. Maybe im overreacting or paranoid. But in future world cups when the euro teams arnt even competitive, we'll look back on the farce that is happening right in front our eyes.

roughyedspud

Coach
Theres plenty of Australians and English with "European" heritage...don't worry about it..

And it's no good these island nations having all these big boppers smashing up the middle of there no clever 6,7&9 pulling the strings...Scotland nearly beat NZ cos they have a proper 1,6,7&9 spine..no island can match Scotland's spine..it's not even close

DC_fan

Coach
Sounds like it’s working just fine to me atm. Latest is Papa, a regular contender for Oz at his best, selected for Samoa.

Things are hotting up in the Rugby League World Cup.

It would be great if a country other then Australia, England or New Zealand won

Rory

Juniors
Theres plenty of Australians and English with "European" heritage...don't worry about it..

And it's no good these island nations having all these big boppers smashing up the middle of there no clever 6,7&9 pulling the strings...Scotland nearly beat NZ cos they have a proper 1,6,7&9 spine..no island can match Scotland's spine..it's not even close

Ahhhhh, true, more depth would be helpful tho. Its interesting, cause you'd think USA would have no depth, yet there comfortable picking an almost entire squad of domestic players...and they've got Fiji first, God bless America.

Shorty

Staff member

Yeah that's the problem, that said both Fafita and Lolo can pass and have off load potential.
Someone like Jennings can capitalize on these quickly.

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
He is not the sharpest tool in the world is he...but i get where he is coming from.

Interestingly Graham Lowe was on the news the other day and he is generally bang on with his thoughts about the game in NZ and he said the changes that Kidwell has made with the Kiwis playing style is the right way forward for the team. Ironically a lot of it was to be based of the power running of Taumalolo....

I honestly believe after the Four Nations last year Kidwell lost Taumalolo as i recall in interviews Taumalolo refused to bite on comments on how Kidwell was employing him. I guess after the ANZAC test that was the final nail in the coffin. You could see this coming after Paul Green pulled his name out of the hat to be the assistant coach. When the word was he had agreed to be the Kiwis Ast Coach for the RLWC.

Lets not forget Kidwell was part of the players that refused to play under Kemble in 08 which caused his sacking....what comes around goes around...

If the NZRL is smart after the RLWC which the kiwis have and IMO had no chance of winning, they will sack Kidwell and employ either Stacey Jones or Garth Brennan.

Unfortunately the game is hurting majorly in NZ...and i believe its in real danger of going on life support if the Kiwis preform poorly at RLWC and the Warriors have another shocking season....

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
On another note, Tuimoala Lolohea has come out and said the Tongan jersey means more than a Kiwis jersey....

With all the trash talking starting now, has there ever been a more anticipated International game than the Kiwis vs Tonga match?

typicalfan

Coach
All the trash talk has the Kiwis under the radar. They still have a formidable side and I think the Kiwis have struggled with the expectation of matching Australia. Now they are underdogs again. If England win the opener against Australia then it will be game on. Tonga has all the expectation now. Teams will aim up on them.

All the trash talk has the Kiwis under the radar. They still have a formidable side and I think the Kiwis have struggled with the expectation of matching Australia. Now they are underdogs again. If England win the opener against Australia then it will be game on. Tonga has all the expectation now. Teams will aim up on them.
Australia will put 40 on England

Status
Not open for further replies.