What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JDB New Skipper ??

Victoire

Juniors
Ben Creagh was atrocious. Sides often reflect the character of the captain, and Creagh’s sides ran away when they were getting bashed (I’ll never get over the embarrassment of Willie Mason sledging the entire pack). Under Creagh’s reign our side lost their toughness, and they’ve never really found it again.

Hornby was our last true captain. What I wouldn’t give to have a clubman of his calibre again.
Absolute rubbish

In his first year as captain the team was dreadful (I'll never forget seeing Chase Stanley and Adam Quinlan in the halves) but from then on, like a true selfless clubman, Creagh moved from backrow into prop for the good of the team and the winning record edged closer to 50%, culminating in a finals spot in 2015. He led from the front.

SBD82

Coach
Absolute rubbish

In his first year as captain the team was dreadful (I'll never forget seeing Chase Stanley and Adam Quinlan in the halves) but from then on, like a true selfless clubman, Creagh moved from backrow into prop for the good of the team and the winning record edged closer to 50%, culminating in a finals spot in 2015. He led from the front.
Ok mate.

JubileeJeffro

Juniors
For mine, a captain has to be:

1. On the field for the majority of the game
2. Can read the play
3. Isn't influenced by other players
4. Can motivate as well as delegate
5. Isn't scared to approach the ref for 'clarity'
6. Can speak intelligently at the presser
7. Is the forefront of the Club.
8. Has the respect of the playing group

Probably more to this list also, however, this really narrows the field as it currently stands.

I think this list excludes the likes of Lawrie and even Lomax. Sua would seem a good choice. But how many of the criteria does he fill, and his suspension record isn't great. Bud would make a great captain, but not yet. In reality JDB doesn't fill the criteria also. Although he did a good job against the Fins.

So where does that leave us?
Unpopular as it seems, Mbye is the logical choice. However:
He is off contract
Would have to play every game
More twilight of career than daylight

Perplexing, really perplexing. Unless we 'buy' a captain aka like the Broncos, there isn't a good choice at all.
No point Mbye will be gone at year end

TheRev

First Grade
I am curious whether this is a Flanagan or Carr (or both) decision.. whoever it is.. could end up being the captain for quite some time.. you dont 'switch' captains lightly.. they could even choose a couple..

Its also possible Ben Hunt does play and is captain.. maybe the narrative fed to us from the media isnt as accurate as being made out.. we just dont know.. and we wont until Hunt & Flanno get together on thursday or friday.

Jersey No 14

Juniors
Yes.
He’s a work horse
Will lead by his actions - as he already does.
Argued with (our last captain) showing he had a strong opinion when nothing was working (as it was shown the case)
He has learnt his lesson
Young enough
Strong enough
And so on.
And so on.

Walpole

Juniors
Ben Creagh was atrocious. Sides often reflect the character of the captain, and Creagh’s sides ran away when they were getting bashed (I’ll never get over the embarrassment of Willie Mason sledging the entire pack). Under Creagh’s reign our side lost their toughness, and they’ve never really found it again.

Hornby was our last true captain. What I wouldn’t give to have a clubman of his calibre again.
Bit harsh on Creagh but I agree that Hornby was our last great captain. If I'm not mistaken it was Bennett that handed Hornby the captaincy as well. Maybe we need to check in with Wayne if there's anyone who's worthy of the title in our ranks.

since77

Juniors
I might get laughed at but I think Sullivan is captain material in the future. Can’t wait to see him bloom now Hunt is likely out of the picture and Bud will be allowed to actually touch the ball.
As for captain now, I’d reluctantly go with JDB and it pains me to say that considering off the field issues. But he’s really the only senior player I can see doing a reasonable job.

SBD82

Coach
I might get laughed at but I think Sullivan is captain material in the future. Can’t wait to see him bloom now Hunt is likely out of the picture and Bud will be allowed to actually touch the ball.
As for captain now, I’d reluctantly go with JDB and it pains me to say that considering off the field issues. But he’s really the only senior player I can see doing a reasonable job.
I don’t think Bud is a laughable option. It’s just a shame that the timing is wrong.

And it’s a tough decision without knowing the intricacies of the group. There was a great section on grandstand on the weekend where they talked about leadership qualities. Luke Lewis had some great insights into the nature of leadership quality, and how this sometimes doesn’t translate to the responsibilities of captaincy. The quiet guy that leads from the front is sometimes the worst option.

My take from it was that you have to separate the person from the football ability. But then you have the problem of having someone as captain who is not necessarily an auto pick each week.

Realistically we’re probably looking at a captaincy group for the rest of the year (assuming Hunt is gone). Which players comprise that group I couldn’t say. Possibly a combo of Sua, JDB, Bud and Liddle? Not ideal, but it covers the defensive sections of the field pretty well.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Lomax and Lawrie have to be in the Captaincy conversations. They bleed red and white and that is what we need. They may be larrikins but at the end of the day they put the club first.

I would not be surprised if Flanno makes Bird as the Club Capt in 2024. Maybe the added responsibility will bring out the best in him and he won't have as many brain snaps. Bird at his best is pretty good, unfortunately we have not seen it in a while since he left Sharks and have forgotten how good he can be.

SBD82

Coach
Lomax and Lawrie have to be in the Captaincy conversations. They bleed red and white and that is what we need. They may be larrikins but at the end of the day they put the club first.

I would not be surprised if Flanno makes Bird as the Club Capt in 2024. Maybe the added responsibility will bring out the best in him and he won't have as many brain snaps. Bird at his best is pretty good, unfortunately we have not seen it in a while since he left Sharks and have forgotten how good he can be.
The Bird and Flanno relationship is an interesting one. I have a vague memory of them falling out when he signed with the Broncos. Did I imagine that? Maybe some of our sharks guests/lurkers could shed some light?

@Miller was a legend ? @bad boy bubby ?

mattchuot

Juniors
The Bird and Flanno relationship is an interesting one. I have a vague memory of them falling out when he signed with the Broncos. Did I imagine that? Maybe some of our sharks guests/lurkers could shed some light?

Not saying this is the most ironclad evidence but Bird liked the club’s Instagram post announcing Flanno’s signing. Surely you wouldn’t do that if you had the shits with someone.

Jack felt disrespected in the way the Flange treated him in the lack of haste in re-signing him. He wanted to stay at the Sharks but because Jack felt this way he started looking elsewhere. I don't think it was a massive fall out, just one of a little sorrow maybe.
Here's the vid, I've got it ready to go from the spot Jack explains it.

SBD82

Coach
Jack felt disrespected in the way the Flange treated him in the lack of haste in re-signing him. He wanted to stay at the Sharks but because Jack felt this way he started looking elsewhere. I don't think it was a massive fall out, just one of a little sorrow maybe.
Here's the vid, I've got it ready to go from the spot Jack explains it.

Thanks mate. Really appreciate it.

You sure you’re a sharks supporter? You seem like too good of a bloke.

Latest posts