What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JDB New Skipper ??

JamesRustle

First Grade
Bud. Captain and half back. Hunt to hooker as he awaits an offer that is great for the club and good enough for him.

JubileeJeffro

Juniors
My pick is Su’a. Consistently one of our best players and he would have the respect of the team. No to JDB. I can’t fault his commitment but it would just stir up more headlines and that’s the last thing we need right now
Can you imagine if we made JDB captain… the media would go bananas and so would a lot of the supporters and most importantly potential sponsors

TruSaint

Referee
For what it's worth I like Blake Lawrie for the gig. He's 26 now, played 100+ games, he seems to have the respect and admiration of the playing group and his contribution to the team is vastly underrated. Good little mention of his work on the RL Writers page last week, worth checking out:

Also worth hearing him in this video the club posted about the junior academy. He's obviously passionate about the joint and takes the job of being a leader seriously

Workhorse, good player, but not Captain material in my eyes.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I'm sure Flanno will sort something out in 2024....who knows if Hunt goes it may be the cherry on top to entice a new body from outside the club the role

denis preston

First Grade
For what it's worth I like Blake Lawrie for the gig. He's 26 now, played 100+ games, he seems to have the respect and admiration of the playing group and his contribution to the team is vastly underrated. Good little mention of his work on the RL Writers page last week, worth checking out:

Also worth hearing him in this video the club posted about the junior academy. He's obviously passionate about the joint and takes the job of being a leader seriously

Mate , won’t be on the field for 40% of the game and he struggles to put 4 or 5 words together so motivating the team will be a struggle.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
For mine, a captain has to be:

1. On the field for the majority of the game
2. Can read the play
3. Isn't influenced by other players
4. Can motivate as well as delegate
5. Isn't scared to approach the ref for 'clarity'
6. Can speak intelligently at the presser
7. Is the forefront of the Club.
8. Has the respect of the playing group

Probably more to this list also, however, this really narrows the field as it currently stands.

I think this list excludes the likes of Lawrie and even Lomax. Sua would seem a good choice. But how many of the criteria does he fill, and his suspension record isn't great. Bud would make a great captain, but not yet. In reality JDB doesn't fill the criteria also. Although he did a good job against the Fins.

So where does that leave us?
Unpopular as it seems, Mbye is the logical choice. However:
He is off contract
Would have to play every game
More twilight of career than daylight

Perplexing, really perplexing. Unless we 'buy' a captain aka like the Broncos, there isn't a good choice at all.

SBD82

Coach
It's the problem with handing the captaincy to mercenaries, instead of clubmen. People have the audacity to claim Ben Creagh was a bad captain - I say he was twice the skipper of Widdop and Hunt combined
Ben Creagh was atrocious. Sides often reflect the character of the captain, and Creagh’s sides ran away when they were getting bashed (I’ll never get over the embarrassment of Willie Mason sledging the entire pack). Under Creagh’s reign our side lost their toughness, and they’ve never really found it again.

Hornby was our last true captain. What I wouldn’t give to have a clubman of his calibre again.