What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News JDB Trial

zedzded

Juniors
Remember Brett Stewart? That is why I never jumped to conclusions he was guilty. Feel bad for him he lost years of his life due to this shit and won’t be again.

I wasn't too familiar with this case, but just read a couple of articles on it. Absolutely disgusted and appalled he was ever charged. I think there needs to be some fundamental changes to the law regarding he said, she said cases where there is no evidence or independent witnesses. We seem to be at a point where the victim is never doubted. Why would someone make that up? I'm obviously being naïve and idealistic here, but I would think investigating officers would be horrified at the thought of throwing someone in jail for 5+ years when they are unsure of their guilt or innocence. There needs to be be zero doubt. This may mean more guilty people don't get convicted, but isn't that a preference to innocence people being jailed?

firechild

First Grade
The problem is, there's often not a lot of evidence either way. Police can't do nothing and it isn't their responsibility to determine guilt or innocence, their job is to gather evidence based on an allegation and then the prosecutors determine if there's enough evidence to pursue a prosecution.
I think police often try to make "evidence" look like more than it is but prosecutors can also take the blame for pursuing cases that lack evidence. I'm not saying that's necessarily the case here, on both occasions at least some of the jurors were convinced of their guilt.

zedzded

Juniors
Well it doesn't equal rape, but it certainly doesn't set said misogynists up well if they're ever accused of anything, does it? Better to not be a f**king asshole towards women, because if shit hits the fan you might find yourself doing time - ala J.Hayne. If you have an impeccable record of treating women well, it's probably much more likely you'll never find yourself in court and can chalk up any incidents as misunderstanding

Yup totally.