What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jennings to the Roosters?

betcats

Referee
Every club has three or four players earning over 500k, they are your game changer type players, currently the Panthers have none, how can you hope to compete with an average player list. The irony is, he is letting go of local marquee talent like Lewis, Gordon and Jennings to sign a superstar in JT, but someone like JT will look at the clubs roster and then up his fee if he has to play with an average roster. Then they will try and use JT like Petro to sign other players, where they will again pay overs for players because they have a shite roster, in three years the Panthers will be in the same position, having huge back ended contracts, but this time paying players who have no local and cultural relationship with the club.

The oracle has spoken.

Every club has three or four players earning over 500k, they are your game changer type players, currently the Panthers have none, how can you hope to compete with an average player list. The irony is, he is letting go of local marquee talent like Lewis, Gordon and Jennings to sign a superstar in JT, but someone like JT will look at the clubs roster and then up his fee if he has to play with an average roster. Then they will try and use JT like Petro to sign other players, where they will again pay overs for players because they have a shite roster, in three years the Panthers will be in the same position, having huge back ended contracts, but this time paying players who have no local and cultural relationship with the club.

Michael Gordon was not a local.

He was a hugely talented outside back that virtually never played for us in the last 3 years.

Panther

Juniors
True, but over the last few years we gave lost a lot of talented young locals. I don't need to put up a list. Our only two premierships were won by teams made up largely of local ex juniors - especially 2003.

Doomednow

Bench
The mercenaries we have now are mostly a stop gap. With the new focus on juniors we should have a team largely made up of locals (with up and coming halves coached by Thurston) in a few years.

Breathingfire

Juniors
I think a lot of you are underestimating Phil Gould. I can understand why because on the surface you have lost Jennings, Gordon and Lewis and it probably feels like you have been rebuilding for years already. However, Gould came along when your club was basically falling apart.

As others have already said; Elliot and Leary really mucked things up when they were running the show. So much so that a centre was on the same kind of money as a halfback and captain. Something has to give and thankfully Gus Gould has the gumption to make the tough calls:

* Cut an overpaid and under performing Jennings
* Cut Gordon who was overpaid for a winger and never on the field
* Cut Lewis who wielded too much power over the playing group

The worst thing to happen to Penrith was the culture present under Matt Elliot where Petro "players union" Civoniceva was handed the reigns by the coach. Luke Lewis picked up where Petro left off and there were too many chiefs and not enough Indians. When Elliot was cut, the players marched into Mick Leary's office demanding answers; the audacity of it all. You are being payed by the club and you play for whoever the club tells you to play for. The only reason why they did not want Elliot to leave was because they could do whatever they damn well pleased. A formula of that kind will never be successful.

Tough decisions have been made, but Gus has bought in the most promising young coach in the game who takes no f**king prisoners. Gould is an absolute master at identifying young talent and he is a very influential human being. Give it time for the master plan to be executed and I think the Panther will rise again!

Last edited:
True, but over the last few years we gave lost a lot of talented young locals. I don't need to put up a list. Our only two premierships were won by teams made up largely of local ex juniors - especially 2003.

A few points ,

Our team since 1967 has mostly been made up of local talent ( sans the very early years)

Yet our success rate hasnt been that good. 2 titles in 45 years is barely passable , but then look at how little we have made the finals. Perhaps we have overly relied on Juniors?

The 2003 team didnt have as many locals as the 1991 side. And even less in the key positions.

Wesser
Whatuira
Campbell
Girdler
Priddis
Lang
Galuvao
Puletua
Sattler

Were all not local juniors. Thats 9 of the starting 13.

3 of the local juniors were very young with only 1 experienced local in the team.

Panfas

Juniors
I think a lot of you are underestimating Phil Gould. I can understand why because on the surface you have lost Jennings, Gordon and Lewis and it probably feels like you have been rebuilding for years already. However, Gould came along when your club was basically falling apart.

As others have already said; Elliot and Leary really mucked things up when they were running the show. So much so that a centre was on the same kind of money as a halfback and captain. Something has to give and thankfully Gus Gould has the gumption to make the tough calls:

* Cut an overpaid and under performing Jennings
* Cut Gordon who was overpaid for a winger and never on the field
* Cut Lewis who wielded too much power over the playing group

The worst thing to happen to Penrith was the culture present under Matt Elliot where Petro "players union" Civoniceva was handed the reigns by the coach. Luke Lewis picked up where Petro left off and there were too many chiefs and not enough Indians. When Elliot was cut, the players marched into Mick Leary's office demanding answers; the audacity of it all. You are being payed by the club and you play for whoever the club tells you to play for. The only reason why they did not want Elliot to leave was because they could do whatever they damn well pleased. A formula of that kind will never be successful.

Tough decisions have been made, but Gus has bought in the most promising young coach in the game who takes no f**king prisoners. Gould is an absolute master at identifying young talent and he is a very influential human being. Give it time for the master plan to be executed and I think the Panther will rise again!
Every now and then in this whole Gould/Lewis/Jennings scenario comes along a great post like this.

I agree 100%

Shire Panther

Juniors
My biggest concern with the 'clean out' is that we will have a million+ for next season but what happens if we miss out on Thurston? What if we cannot attract the calibre of player we are trying to? Will IC start bringing over all the cuzzy bros so become the Penrith Warriors?

I don't want to see us loaded up with other clubs rejects/journeymen/ QLD cup players.

Randy81

Juniors
He had a contract with his manager, from all reports his manager is a tosser of the highest order too. If Jennings took the pay cut the manager could have taken him to court.

His manager isn't even registered with the nrl and such a contract would have exit fees, compensation and the like.
As I said the manager acts on his behalf. He is not a slave to him. I am sure if it came down to panthers paying a sum to the agent outside of the cap they would have.

Stating that he was willing to take a pay cut is just pure speculation. No one could know that for sure

Thirsty Panther

Juniors
My biggest concern with the 'clean out' is that we will have a million+ for next season but what happens if we miss out on Thurston? What if we cannot attract the calibre of player we are trying to? Will IC start bringing over all the cuzzy bros so become the Penrith Warriors?

I don't want to see us loaded up with other clubs rejects/journeymen/ QLD cup players.

It doesn't really matter if we get Thurston or not. At the end of this year there is nice group of halves up for sale.

Such as Todd Carney, Daniel Mortimer, Corey Norman, Ben Roberts, Jamie Soward, Brett Finch, Liam Foran, Trent Hodkinson, Ben Hunt, Mitchell Pearce and Sam Williams. Add to this that Robbie Farrah is off contract as well, I'm sure you could come up with a combination that would be better than Coote, Walsh and Kingston.

Having cash to spend at the end of this year could well set us up for a couple of premierships.

Randy81

Juniors
It doesn't really matter if we get Thurston or not. At the end of this year there is nice group of halves up for sale.

Such as Todd Carney, Daniel Mortimer, Corey Norman, Ben Roberts, Jamie Soward, Brett Finch, Liam Foran, Trent Hodkinson, Ben Hunt, Mitchell Pearce and Sam Williams. Add to this that Robbie Farrah is off contract as well, I'm sure you could come up with a combination that would be better than Coote, Walsh and Kingston.

Having cash to spend at the end of this year could well set us up for a couple of premierships.

I agree. At the end of the day we have shit loads of cash to spend as we like in key positions now. Given recent events in league circles I wouldn't restrict just to off contract players though. No one is out of range.
I am actually grasping to the hope that We lure Shaun Johnson and mateo across :D

Hmmm ,

Most of those halves I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.

Wow your hard to please, who would you sign if available.

I wouldn't touch soward ,roberts , Mortimer , Pearce , finch & Hodkinson for various reasons.

Williams
Carney
Norman

And to a lesser extent hunt & foran is what I'd be interested in from that list.

soc123_au

Staff member

Carney, Williams & maybe Soward. The rest would be just filling spots for the sake of it. Foran or Hodkinson might be worth the punt if they were cheap enough. The rest would be a waste of cap space.

Farrah would be a handy pick up, but I dont think he would solve our problems.

franklin2323

Immortal
Are they now spinning the "blame the manger" yarn. Why the F don't they just admit they did not want Jennings - AT ALL, AT ANY Reasonable price.

Do you honestly think we would get an explanation?? I have more chance of taking Megan Fox home. Then of the club giving an explanation.

I heard the same from someone in the know. Never during this time has Gould or Cleary said Jennings was staying. Jennings always said it was in his managers hands.

As long as the manager gets his 10% of the original deal he can't sue. So he could of stayed but like Lewis never seemed to have the confidence of the coach or gus.

murraymob

Coach
jennings was shown the door not for anything he did or how much he was being paid.He just did not fit into the Gould Cleary master plan of fielding a entire side of just forwards. This raises the question of Thurston my guess its just a smoke screen before we announce the return of Frank Pritchard and any other forward who we can buy

darkbloom

Juniors
Do you honestly think we would get an explanation?? I have more chance of taking Megan Fox home. Then of the club giving an explanation.

I heard the same from someone in the know. Never during this time has Gould or Cleary said Jennings was staying. Jennings always said it was in his managers hands.

As long as the manager gets his 10% of the original deal he can't sue. So he could of stayed but like Lewis never seemed to have the confidence of the coach or gus.

"... never seemed to have the confidence of the coach or gus" says it all but says it kindly. He and Lewis had no real choice no matter what spin is put on it.

penrithmob 65

Juniors
You would think trying to get Carney would be a wasre of time considering he would ask the advice of Lewis Graham Gordon and i would not expect a lot of nice talk about the club from them

Latest posts