What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jennings to the Roosters?

abpanther

Staff member
I'm not too upset with this, the guy was on way overs and he never really made a huge difference on how we performed during the season?

How will our backline look? Give it time, I'm sure we will get a few young bolters pop up and give the young ones someone to aspire to, happens every year.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
The roosters remeber were in long negotitations with SBW. They likely couldn't commit to anything until they knee what was happening there.

For all we know the club may have tried to do this for the past six months.

That might be the case. However why did we use Jennings in marketing forms such as Membership brochures etc?? If we are shopping him around it makes no sense

Panfas

Juniors
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...fter-visiting-roosters-hq-20130116-2css8.html
Michael Jennings was all smiles when he finished his first session at his new club on Wednesday morning.
Jennings reported in for a medical examination and a meet and greet with his new teammates at 9am.
He kept the media waiting almost three hours before walking out of Roosters HQ just before midday donning a Roosters polo shirt.
While he only answered a few questions on the way to his car, Jennings will do a press conference tomorrow for the first time as a Rooster.
Advertisement
"I was excited to see the boys," Jennings said before jumping in his car. "It's a fresh start for me."
The former Panther was yesterday released from the final three years of his contract at Penrith to join the Roosters on a four-year deal believed to be worth $2million.
Having been made ineligible for the All Stars game, Jennings is expected to play his first game for the Roosters in their trial against Manly at Bluetongue Stadium in Gosford on February 16.
All eyes will be on Jennings, as well as fellow high-profile Roosters recruits Sonny Bill Williams and James Maloney, when they open the season against arch enemies South Sydney on Thursday, March 7.

Jennings will line up against his former club for the first time at Allianz Stadium in round eight on May 5, before returning to Centrebet Stadium in round 21

vv-jennings-20130116122638252096-620x349.jpg

That might be the case. However why did we use Jennings in marketing forms such as Membership brochures etc?? If we are shopping him around it makes no sense

That's true.

I can only assume a couple of things here,

Not putting Jennings in our marketing campaign could weaken our bargaining position with other clubs. Ie. showing we are desperate to get rid of him therefore having to pay more of his contract.

Or

The club simply weren't confident of being able to unload his massive contract.

I don't really like this aspect of the whole thing either , but I'm willing to give the club the benefit of the doubt.

Despite your misgivings about Gould from where I sit I have seen more proactive decision making in the past 18 months than in the previous 10 years.

I don't lie having to wait a little longer for success when we've waited so long already. But when I see smart decisions being made ( like offloading a ridiculous contract) then I understand.

Last edited:

abpanther

Staff member
Here’s my take on Michael Jennings’ career with Penrith

He’s a very exciting player to watch when he’s on song and he has provided us with plenty of ‘wow’ moments, his kick return against the Roosters will be something I’ll never forget. Generally when we were winning, he found a way to put more points on the board and carve up the opposition. He was definitely a crowd pleaser and the kind of player who brings people through the gates.

However, make no mistake about it, Michael Jennings have never been a game changer while playing with the Panthers. Sure he has made some great plays, showed plenty of speed and has scored a bundle of tries when the game is out of hand. Truth is though that the club has generally performed poorly during his tenure and while this can obviously be attributed to a whole host of reasons, the reality is that Jennings’ presence did little to turn the club around. When the game was on the line or when we were behind and needed our superstars to lift the team, Jennings was generally nowhere to be found. He never really went looking for the ball in key moments (ala Pritchard) and he was never the kind of player who could lift his team mates and have a significant impact on the performance of the team.

Furthermore, he has had his fair share of off the field issues, showing up drunk to training, poor attitude, etc. I don't think he was ever a leader or a marquee player that you could build a club around. Also, he was injury prone, most of us remember how time and time again he would come up from most tackles quite gingerly after picking up some sort of niggle, he is a sportcar in that regard. I also question why his performances at SOO never translated to club footy, that raises question marks for me.

He was given an outlandish contract and I don’t blame him for that, nevertheless he has never been worth close to that contract, even when he was on song, at his best he was a try scorer and provider when the team was doing well. As I said, I can’t remember seeing him come up big in big moments, nor did his presence seem to lift the team from the cellar.

This loss will seem more significant because he was a crowd pleaser, the flashy outside back who scores tries, wowed us with his speed and put bums on seats. However when you look at this fiscally, the move makes absolute sense. Jennings has never been a player who lifted us from the cellar and his contract would ensure that we would be handicapped to add any other significant pieces to compete for a title.

Last edited:

Panfas

Juniors
Here?s my take on Michael Jennings? career with Penrith

He?s a very exciting player to watch when he?s on song and he has provided us with plenty of ?wow? moments, his kick return against the Roosters will be something I?ll never forget. Generally when we were winning, he found a way to put more points on the board and carve up the opposition. He was definitely a crowd pleaser and the kind of player who brings people through the gates.

However, make no mistake about it, Michael Jennings have never been a game changer while playing with the Panthers. Sure he has made some great plays, showed plenty of speed and has scored a bundle of tries when the game is out of hand. Truth is though that the club has generally performed poorly during his tenure and while this can obviously be attributed to a whole host of reasons, the reality is that Jennings? presence did little to turn the club around. When the game was on the line or when we were behind and needed our superstars to lift the team, Jennings was generally nowhere to be found. He never really went looking for the ball in key moments (ala Pritchard) and he was never the kind of player who could lift his team mates and have a significant impact on the performance of the team.

Furthermore, he has had his fair share of off the field issues, showing up drunk to training, poor attitude, etc. I don't think he was ever a leader or a marquee player that you could build a club around. Also, he was injury prone, most of us remember how time and time again he would come up from most tackles quite gingerly after picking up some sort of niggle, he is a sportcar in that regard. I also question why his performances at SOO never translated to club footy, that raises question marks for me.

He was given an outlandish contract and I don?t blame him for that, nevertheless he has never been worth close to that contract, even when he was on song, at his best he was a try scorer and provider when the team was doing well. As I said, I can?t remember seeing him come up big in big moment, nor did his presence seem to lift the team from the cellar.

This loss will seem more significant because he was a crowd pleaser, the flashy outside back who scores tries, wowed us with his speed and put bums on seats. However when you look at this fiscally, the move makes absolute sense. Jennings has never been a player who lifted us from the cellar and his contract would ensure that we would be handicapped to add any other significant pieces to compete for a title.
Well said, couldnt have put it better myself

franklin2323

Immortal
That's true.

I can only assume a couple of things here,

Not putting Jennings in our marketing campaign could weaken our bargaining position with other clubs. Ie. showing we are desperate to get rid of him therefore having to pay more of his contract.

Or

The club simply weren't confident of being able to unload his massive contract.

I don't really like this aspect of the whole thing either , but I'm willing to give the club the benefit of the doubt.

Despite your misgivings about Gould from where I sit I have seen more proactive decision making in the past 18 months than in the previous 10 years.

I don't lie having to wait a little longer for success when we've waited so long already. But when I see smart decisions being made ( like offloading a ridiculous contract) then I understand.

My main concerns with Gould is he has power over everything. All the managers over marketing, Merchandise, Memberships etc are all gone. He is the go to for everything. Yet has as much Management experience as most of us on this forum.

If he some sort of history in the field he is working in. I would be more confident it was anything more then the every year rebuild we always seem to have