What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jennings to the Roosters?

betcats

Referee
With the contracts they had I very much doubt we could afford that^ base and a decent half and hooker.

franklin2323

Immortal
With the contracts they had I very much doubt we could afford that^ base and a decent half and hooker.

Petero and Waterhouse were both on $400k.

Rumours back in the day of Catic and Hicks on huge deals. So we don 't know how it was then. As Richo and Lang just did their jobs

Last edited:

darkbloom

Juniors
We lost the first 8 games straight in 2002, Pomoz.

Not once did the admin or coach staff do anything but say we need to stick together and hold fast.

I recall one of the very first post game fan functions - there was a handful of people attending and Langy said exactly that.

Neither he nor Richo said - look at the crap state this club is in, what we've walked into is going to take 4 years to fix.

All power and support to Gus and Ivan, I hope it all works but I think some rocky times are ahead.

Pomoz

Bench
Didn't Richo and Lang start in 2002? Gus started in mid 2011. I don't know the contract situation from then. I assume the semi's run in 2000 inflated players contracts like the 2010 run did.

Gus inherited:

Jennings SOO player.
Lewis SOO and test player
Petero SOO and Test player
Grant Future SOO player
McKendry test player
Gordon SOO player

Imagine that base with a half (Preston) a Hooker (Priddis) compared too stop gap backrowers like Newton, Ciraldo etc.

Franklin, I think Bellamy has shown at the Storm that it is the spine of 1,6,7 and 9 that make the team tick. He has held onto his gun players in those positions and then recycled other average players through the other positions. The list you have are all in the positions that Bellamy regularly turns over. Props, back rowers and centres come and go. In fact, he ditched Inglis when he was forced to restructure the team under the salary cap scandal. Presumably, because at the time he wasn't in one of the key positions and was just a centre. Great player though he is it was Slater, Smith and Cronk who make it "happen" for Melbourne.

Our list of Penrith rep players does not include a player in any of the key positions except for Gordon and he hardly played at fullback. It raises an interesting question. If having so many rep players in the non-key positions means that you can't afford quality in the spine, then is that a good idea? It is all about a balance I guess. It is interesting to note that Bennett says that you never pay a prop more than 300K a year because with the salary cap, that reflects the value of that position to the team. I believe that is why he let Petereo go when he was at the Broncos. He would not match the Penrith offer.

When you look at Penrith with Burnsie and Walsh guiding us round the park, it is easy to see why Bellamy stuck with Cronk and Smith (who plays like a five eighth) and let Inglis go and why Bennet says "max 300K for props".

rem286

Juniors
Hard to argue with Pomoz here. They don't call those positions the "spine" for no reason. Look at our team, no spine, and without it the whole team just crumbles.

franklin2323

Immortal
I don't disagree with you pomoz. My point is we had a decent base to work with. Early on Lang and Richo went after spine players.

Early on Gus and Ivan had stocked up on backrowers. After 2 Off seasons we have signed Segeyaro and Humble only in these key positions. Released Siejka, Seluini and Burns.

Yes we prob did have too much locked up in those players. Outside of them. Daniela, Tighe and co are on not much. So overall we haven't paid too much for our backline.

Waterhouse & Petero freed up heaps. Surely we could of bought a 1/2 or 2 then.

Kilkenny

Coach
I really think we should be a little more positive our the coming seasons and not so negative. It's depressing reading some of the stuff written on here some of you need to have a little bit of faith. It's not easy for the likes of the Panthers to attract the top stars to the club, never has and most likely never will be. I do think there is a proper foundation being laid from the grass roots up and while it's not going to bring overnight success I think we are making steps in the right direction.

betcats

Referee
Petero and Waterhouse were both on $400k.

Rumours back in the day of Catic and Hicks on huge deals. So we don 't know how it was then. As Richo and Lang just did their jobs

To recruit a good half and hooker would cost us more then that easily. I dont disagree with u about gould, he is an arrogant prick with many other faults but we all knew long before we hired as gm. One finals appearence since 05, that core was going no where, all the big money was spent on the wrong positions, something had to give, that something is Lewis Jennings at to a lesser extent Flash. It hurts to loose favourites but i wanna win, we will have new stars.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
To recruit a good half and hooker would cost us more then that easily.

True the good one's are very hard to get & expensive. We could of got 2 or 3 NYC graduates for cheap. To go in to a season with only 1 recognised half is terrible.

Gus's 1st game as boss our backline was Coote, Purtell, Jennings, Tighe & Simmons. There is far more expensive backline's in the comp then that. So we have plenty of garbage to go with the overpaid players.

What was the killer was Grant, Petero, Waterhouse, McKendry & Lewis on $400k+. 3 have gone yet we still have a very weak spine.

Kilkenny

Coach
To recruit a good half and hooker would cost us more then that easily. I dont disagree with u about gould, he is an arrogant prick with many other faults but we all knew long before we hired as gm. One finals appearence since 05, that core was going no where, all the big money was spent on the wrong positions, something had to give, that something is Lewis Jennings at to a lesser extent Flash. It hurts to loose favourites but i wanna win, we will have new stars.

It is somewhat sad you describe Phil Gould the way you do. I have met the bloke and been present when he has given he has given up his time for free to attend work seminars and given speeches on leadership and motivation. The bloke is a workaholic and in my opinion a genuine person. Yes he has made some tough decisions but that is what he is paid to do and he is making the decisions for what he believes are the best direction for the club. To describe him as you done above is just not right or accurate.

franklin2323

Immortal
^^^
They are the traits he showed as a coach. So no seminars on managing a multi-million dollar sporting club? Or the different run offs? I have issues with the management experience or lack of it.

Things like Junior development are 1000% better. Having extended squads are great. Sponsorship great.

Questions I have is the squad balance. Communication is poor. Merchandise is non existant now.

Ask Petero, Lewis, Dane Laurie what they think of him. Ask the fans that went to meet him to start up a supporters club & were abused for their trouble. I won't repeat what was said it's pretty well known around the supporter base.

That aside. We have got rid of almost $2m of players (Petero, Lewis, Waterhouse & Jennings) Yet we can't even get 2nd 1/2 back a fulltime 5/8 or a 3rd hooker. I fail to see how our squad is anymore balanced then before. That's my issue nothing personal. It's all playing squad issues with me.

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
It is somewhat sad you describe Phil Gould the way you do. I have met the bloke and been present when he has given he has given up his time for free to attend work seminars and given speeches on leadership and motivation. The bloke is a workaholic and in my opinion a genuine person. Yes he has made some tough decisions but that is what he is paid to do and he is making the decisions for what he believes are the best direction for the club. To describe him as you done above is just not right or accurate.

Well we are all entilted to our opinions aren't we. I find him arrogant despite what you say, but that doesnt mean i dont agree with his decisions, i think we will be succesful under his leadership eventually and i am glad he is atleast seemingly making decisions according to a plan, which was lacking under Mick Leary, but all men have faults and I think Gould is arrogant and a bit of a prick.

betcats

Referee
^^^
They are the traits he showed as a coach. So no seminars on managing a multi-million dollar sporting club? Or the different run offs? I have issues with the management experience or lack of it.

Things like Junior development are 1000% better. Having extended squads are great. Sponsorship great.

Questions I have is the squad balance. Communication is poor. Merchandise is non existant now.

Ask Petero, Lewis, Dane Laurie what they think of him. Ask the fans that went to meet him to start up a supporters club & were abused for their trouble. I won't repeat what was said it's pretty well known around the supporter base.

That aside. We have got rid of almost $2m of players (Petero, Lewis, Waterhouse & Jennings) Yet we can't even get 2nd 1/2 back a fulltime 5/8 or a 3rd hooker. I fail to see how our squad is anymore balanced then before. That's my issue nothing personal. It's all playing squad issues with me.

We are making these moves for the future, to build our team into a competitive team year after year, not so we can sign a 3rd string hooker ffs. It sucks that we will go shit next season but i can endure another poor season for even the chance of long term success.

darkbloom

Juniors

There is no better speaker in sport. Or any field that he has an interest in. Very few can match him for being able to sell a story, and extract an emotion. He is an expert in his field - the game of rugby league.

Exactly the same can be said of Alan Jones, who is also a workaholic - his expertise is broadcasting. Noone would put Jones in charge of the business of radio, it would not be the right thing for Jones of the radio station.

Last edited:

Doomednow

Bench
I was happy when Gould came aboard and I still am. I remember the sort of talk that went on around here, about how all the problems were obvious to us fans, and that included overpaid players. Well Gould, regardless of his character, knows more about football than we do. We wanted some serious change and now we are getting it we suddenly don't have the stomach for it.

We are stuck with shitty halves because right now there isn't much available. We have Kingston as starting hooker because Set isn't ready to be yet as AND is coming off injury. All the other young guys being spoken about are likely not ready either. We are developing.

Let everyone talk shit about our chances, we will upset a few of them at least. The buys we got are all solid and let's be honest Jennings has done SFA for us for a while.

Suck it up ladies, great things are afoot.

franklin2323

Immortal
We are making these moves for the future, to build our team into a competitive team year after year, not so we can sign a 3rd string hooker ffs.

The likes of Pangai, O'Donnell are good. Depth players now could be anything in years to come.

We should of done the same so that when we get rid of Kingston we have a young ready to take over with Segeyaro. Ideally we sign Farah and are sweet. In Reality we probably wont

We have 44 players that should be able to set your NSW cup up aswell. As it stands now the halves in Windsor Moylan/Humble. Hooker of Simpkins or Freeman. Hardly going to be quality 1st graders in those positions.

betcats

Referee
The likes of Pangai, O'Donnell are good. Depth players now could be anything in years to come.

We should of done the same so that when we get rid of Kingston we have a young ready to take over with Segeyaro. Ideally we sign Farah and are sweet. In Reality we probably wont

We have 44 players that should be able to set your NSW cup up aswell. As it stands now the halves in Windsor Moylan/Humble. Hooker of Simpkins or Freeman. Hardly going to be quality 1st graders in those positions.

I understand our squad is not ideal but now Gould has given himself and the coach room to sign the players they want so they dont have to work with a team pieced together haphazardly at best by our previous management.

Gould has made us a much bigger player in the player market if last years recruitment is anything to judge by, he recruited a good amount of young talented players to build for the future on top of well established FGers, He has set up the playmakers academy, hired a coah who went to a GF with his previous club and Barret as a halves coach and improved junior results across the board last season. We are also by most reports in with a decent chance to sign the best half in Aus.

I mean we will probably finish bottom four next season but by the end of it we will of blooded another batch of young players(like we did last season) that are coming through and we should of signed some good players(Like JT possibly).

Look beyond the anger and shock of losing Jennings and Lewis and surely you can see we are building towards something.

I am not saying he has been perfect but I think he has us on the right track.

penrithmob 65

Juniors
I got the lego out and built a house then added another floor then another when should i stop building and see i have a succesfull house

franklin2323

Immortal
I understand our squad is not ideal but now Gould has given himself and the coach room to sign the players they want so they dont have to work with a team pieced together haphazardly at best by our previous management.

Gould has made us a much bigger player in the player market if last years recruitment is anything to judge by, he recruited a good amount of young talented players to build for the future on top of well established FGers, He has set up the playmakers academy, hired a coah who went to a GF with his previous club and Barret as a halves coach and improved junior results across the board last season. We are also by most reports in with a decent chance to sign the best half in Aus.

I mean we will probably finish bottom four next season but by the end of it we will of blooded another batch of young players(like we did last season) that are coming through and we should of signed some good players(Like JT possibly).

Look beyond the anger and shock of losing Jennings and Lewis and surely you can see we are building towards something.

The Jennings and Lewis departures are fine if we fix our spine if we don't we have just spread the cap around the same positions but don't have a better team

soc123_au

Staff member

After being initially pissed off with our retention I have come around to this train of thought as well. Hopefully we will all be petitioning for a bronze statue of Gus to be errected on Mulgoa Rd in 4 or 5 years :D