What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jermaine Ale pt.II

Is Jermaine Ale ready for first grade in Round One 2005?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - but we won't need him

• No - needs more time to develop/more experience in higher grades

• No - too young

• Total voters

Kris_man

Bench
i just found out that Jermaine Ale was born in March 1983, meaning he'll be 21 years old next year. to put that into perspective, that makes him the same age as Ben Harris. He's old enough for first grade next year, there's no need and no excuse to keep him out of firsts next year as far as i'm concerned. above all, there will be no need for Adam Mogg:

1.Schifocofske
2.Chalk
3.Ale
4.Graham
5.Frawley

but i don't want this to turn into a Mogg debate. the important question is this: is Jermaine Ale ready for first grade in Round 1 2005, or does he need more time to "develop" in the lower grades?

Freddo

Juniors
i think he needs time to mature he played very well in that grand final so hes the same age as me. have a look at all the good 3 quaters that play the game there like 24 years old. personally i thnk he needs some time to mature i would be easying hum into first grade and putting the presure on the other guys to perfrom. same as with goodwin id be easying them into the grade.
my line up is

1. Schifcofske <= barring injury who else would you want there
2. Graham <= speed to burn has improved his defence a must
3. Mogg <= the little quiet achiever play very solid for most of the year
4. Frawley <= we bought him as a centre he wants to play there so we should keep the promise
5. Roberston <= has the sword dangling above his head experince wise is what got him a spot in my side.hed be my first replacement for either gafa/chalk/smith/goodwin/ale if he didnt performe

SOULS 04

Juniors
kris man you are not getting rid of mogg

not in THE YEAR OF THE MOGG

but i wouldnt mind seeing Ale get a bench spot early in the season

skeepe

Immortal
If Ale was born in March 1983 he will in fact be 22 next season. That being the case, what was he doing playing in an under 20's competition this year? Interesting...

Brimmer

Juniors
The solution is simple....

Ale plays PL until his form warrants a step up to the big time. Until then, he can wait it out with the rest of the hopefuls...

skeepe

Immortal
I'd suggest that they start him in the trials, see how he goes. Then make a decision based on that.

Kris Man, your theory about age and when they're ready to play first grade is a bit flawed. You still get some mid 20 year olds who aren't ready for first grade. If he plays some PL and he handles that, then yeah, bring him into first grade straight away. But I don't think we should be saying "Okay, he's 21, he's old enough to play first grade."

Don't get me wrong, I think he's probably the best signing since Schif a couple of years ago. But we'd have to see how he handled PL first.

Raider_69

Post Whore
cant just thrust him from flegg to NRL
i say give him at least 10 rounds in PL, if form permits i.e if he is killing it then give him a run in firts

edabomb

First Grade
Freddo said:
5. Roberston <= has the sword dangling above his head experince wise is what got him a spot in my side.hed be my first replacement for either gafa/chalk/smith/goodwin/ale if he didnt performe

The only experience Robbo has is in cross field runs :lol: :lol: . Chalk owns him.

edabomb

First Grade
My only complaints with out backline is we seem to have 3 or 4 solid FG players backing up which all count towards the cap and have been recently re-signed. I think we would have been better served signing a prop, Reynoldson would of been ideal IMO.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Kirk, na, id have gone for Stringer
i rate him as a decent prop

but we arnt doing that bad
Hodgson, Hindmarsh and Adamson can play prop if need be
then we have Weyman, Ohara, Cross and Miller..... ohh and thompson

Kris_man

Bench
I Bleed Green said:
Kris Man, your theory about age and when they're ready to play first grade is a bit flawed. You still get some mid 20 year olds who aren't ready for first grade.
no it's not. i was only talking tongue-in-cheek when i said Mogg was too old. its pretty obvious in reality that there are players who develop later than others, the best example i can think of is Bryan Fletcher, who out of nowhere had that awesome season for the Roosters when he was like 27. What i was doing with Ale was eliminating the "too young" factor which i previously thought applied.

and skeepe, yeah, i can't explain the Jermaine Ale playing in Flegg at 21 years of age thing. maybe the Roosters site made a typo? cos i double checked it and it does say his birthdate is march 1983.

i would like to see Ale start in firsts straight away, similar to what happened with Karmichael Hunt and Billy Slater, although it will obviously depend on how he goes in the off-season: training and trials. the main reason i think this is because it's pretty clear that he's physically mature, so the only issue would be whether he's mentally mature or not. if he is mentally mature, then he's ready for firsts, but then maybe he's just not good enough to make the team, which i doubt. i'm confident that he will play firsts at some point in 2005, because Elliott seems to like his backs to have bulk (Bulgarelli; Mogg; Wiki & Toots in the centres in 2002, and Graham being dropped because he "doesn't have a first grade body"), and ale has certainly got that.

Anonymous

Juniors
Yes he is.

Let's face it, playing centre isn't rocket science. You don't need to develop as much as a half or hooker. Stick him in, what can go wrong?

greeneyed

First Grade
I think he is clearly the best signing of the whole year, however, it only makes sense to give him a start in PL and see how it goes..... unless he kills it in the trials.....

Tidus_Raider

Bench
I think he should start in Pl for the first few rounds and then if form permits have him eased into the side by round 8-10. I dont rate Robbo. Too small, not very quick and injury prone. I would start with a back 5 of

1.Schif
2.Chalk
3.Graham
4.Frawley
5.Smith/Gafa/Milne

I see Elliot going with:

1.Schif
2.Chalk
3.Frawley
4.Mogg
5.Graham

Definately some depth in the backline next year with also Howell, PNG and Robertson also available if injury plays it's part.

Um Jammer Lammy

Juniors
I've never seen him play, but I'm not sure if I'd give him a run in the first round. If I was coach I'd start him in round 9 or 10 if his form in second grade is good. But with Frawley and Graham and Milne and Fransicus there is plenty of players who deserve a shot aswell. As long as there is no Bulgarelli and that Milne and Fransicus and Ale get a run I'm a happy chappy as far as centre goes.

Latest posts