What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Jerseys, Logos, Mock Ups, Photos ANYTHING

Nuke

Staff member
I loved that sequence of growing NIB logos late last year when the new jerseys were unveiled. One of the few things that genuinely made me laugh out loud.

taste2taste

Juniors
I hate to bump the pride jersey again...but has anyone seen the episode of Sienfield called The Sponge ?
Kramer is marching in an anti aids march but refuses to wear an anti aids ribbon ... because ....of course he is anti aids so why does he need a ribbon ?
A few of the fellow marchers see he isn't wearing the ribbon and bash him in an alley.
Sky news has been playing this clip all night, it seems to sum up the situation perfectly.

Jesus gronking Christ jersey clash in Brisbane opens View attachment 64663
I know this is the BRL but the ISP has had some cracking clashes in the past. Tweed Heads vs Souths Logan and Ipswich vs Townsville from a few years back were brutal. The Tweed Heads one in particular was real bad because it was almost as if someone at the QRL decided the Seagulls' yellow numbers made the difference...

Reflector

Juniors
Had a crack at re-designing the official NRL club flags. In more recent years, the standard club supporter flags have become either:

a) Too complex (close up of the team logo with another smaller logo in the background, flag copies the current jersey pattern, unnecessary text with the team name and their year of inauguration on the side etc)

b) Too uniform (every team has the same white flag with the only difference the colour of the stripes in the middle and the team name)

This gives the flags a cheap knock-off look. Instead, simple is better. If a single colour background, every team flag should have it's own unique colour, or else an even split of it's main colours. The aim is that even if you see the flag from a distance, you instantly know what team it is. Again: simplicity is best:
NRL Flags.png
NRL Flags2.png

Perth Red

Post Whore
Had a crack at re-designing the official NRL club flags. In more recent years, the standard club supporter flags have become either:

a) Too complex (close up of the team logo with another smaller logo in the background, flag copies the current jersey pattern, unnecessary text with the team name and their year of inauguration on the side etc)

b) Too uniform (every team has the same white flag with the only difference the colour of the stripes in the middle and the team name)

This gives the flags a cheap knock-off look. Instead, simple is better. If a single colour background, every team flag should have it's own unique colour, or else an even split of it's main colours. The aim is that even if you see the flag from a distance, you instantly know what team it is. Again: simplicity is best:
View attachment 64703
View attachment 64704
Nice, look much better. Always makes me wonder why fans can do better than the professionals responsible!

The Great Dane

First Grade
From what I have heard, and it is by no way locked in, but the current design is basically going to remain in some form from now on with just minor changes as the club wants to have a design that creates a brand identity like St. George, Souths, and the Roosters. So don't expect anything too drastic should there be a new jersey.
I'd love to know where this stupid idea that brand identity means never making any significant changes to the branding came from.

I find it fascinating that something so untrue, and frankly damaging, seems to have become accepted as an unassailable fact within so many organisations within the sports industry in recent times.

I'd love to know where this stupid idea that brand identity means never making any significant changes to the branding came from.

I find it fascinating that something so untrue, and frankly damaging, seems to have become accepted as an unassailable fact within so many organisations within the sports industry in recent times.
Souths would be nuts to change their colours from red & green to say, orange and purple or get rid of the hoops for verticale pin stripes, wouldn’t they? Saints aren’t Saints without the red V. Should Ferrari change the prancing horse for a leopard? Or Audi ditch the four rings? These are brands that have been around basically unchanged for a long period of time and fans become invested it. The next generations of players buy into it, too. Obviously history of success is key and the identity associated with it should remain unchanged as it becomes a bankable commodity.

The trouble with the Tigers is, apart from lack of success is they’re struggling to find an identity. That’s the issue with mergers I guess but by contrast, it serves to illustrate how powerful Saints’ identity is because Illawarra gave theirs up simply because the red V was infinitely more marketable.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Souths would be nuts to change their colours from red & green to say, orange and purple or get rid of the hoops for verticale pin stripes, wouldn’t they? Saints aren’t Saints without the red V. Should Ferrari change the prancing horse for a leopard? Or Audi ditch the four rings? These are brands that have been around basically unchanged for a long period of time and fans become invested it. The next generations of players buy into it, too. Obviously history of success is key and the identity associated with it should remain unchanged as it becomes a bankable commodity.

The trouble with the Tigers is, apart from lack of success is they’re struggling to find an identity. That’s the issue with mergers I guess but by contrast, it serves to illustrate how powerful Saints’ identity is because Illawarra gave theirs up simply because the red V was infinitely more marketable.
This is called a strawman...

Nobody said anything about radically rebranding anybody (though you could make a strong argument for some), however if a brand (keeping in mind that a brand is more than just the aesthetic elements of the company, though that's what we are focused on here) isn't constantly evolving in reaction to changes in the market then it's becoming irrelevant.

Simplifying for sake of time, if a brand fails to evolve it means that it's becoming a nostalgia product as it doesn't need/want to, or is incapable of, appealing to new generations of customers, and thus becomes a nostalgia sale.

For many products that tactic can be intentional, but in our case of sports clubs it's a disaster because it means that it's failing to effectively appeal to new generations of customers when a football club has no choice but to appeal to new generations if it is to remain a sustainable business in the long term. In other words, if it can't replace the customers it loses to time then it'll fail when the club's fanbase dies out.

Brand identity means exactly what it says, the identity of your company, including it's ideals, and how that's presented to the general public. A strong brand identity is the ability to evolve your brand through time to appeal to new generations of customers, yet still maintaining high brand recognition despite those changes. Take Pepsi's logo for example-
pepsi-logo-evolution.jpg

They have regularly tweaked and changed it to fit their companies needs and to appeal to the tastes and technology of the time, yet all of them are instantly recognisable as Pepsi's brand. That's a strong brand identity.

One of the best tools sports clubs in particular have to evolve their brand is making changes to their uniforms. Removing that tool from the tool box because of a stupid misunderstanding of what a brand identity is and how it works would be a massive mistake that will have long term impacts on the club as a product.

BTW, it's highly debatable that St. George has a strong brand identity.

You'd have to do a study, but I'd be willing to bet that their brand recognition is very high in the 60-70+ demographic, but drops with each generation until it's effectively bottomed out in under 30s. I'd also be willing to bet that it's not in the top five most recognisable NRL brands anymore. St. George's brand taking precedent over the Steelers also had a lot more to do with that merger being more of a hostile takeover than anything else.

Souths and St. George creating a new popular jersey design other than the hoops or vee would be an absolute boon for them, and their merchandise sales, if they went about it the right way as well.

Last edited:
This is called a strawman...

Nobody said anything about radically rebranding anybody (though you could make a strong argument for some), however if a brand (keeping in mind that a brand is more than just the aesthetic elements of the company, though that's what we are focused on here) isn't constantly evolving in reaction to changes in the market then it's becoming irrelevant.

Simplifying for sake of time, if a brand fails to evolve it means that it's becoming a nostalgia product as it doesn't need/want to, or is incapable of, appealing to new generations of customers, and thus becomes a nostalgia sale.

For many products that tactic can be intentional, but in our case of sports clubs it's a disaster because it means that it's failing to effectively appeal to new generations of customers when a football club has no choice but to appeal to new generations if it is to remain a sustainable business in the long term. In other words, if it can't replace the customers it loses to time then it'll fail when the club's fanbase dies out.

Brand identity means exactly what it says, the identity of your company, including it's ideals, and how that's presented to the general public. A strong brand identity is the ability to evolve your brand through time to appeal to new generations of customers, yet still maintaining high brand recognition despite those changes. Take Pepsi's logo for example-
pepsi-logo-evolution.jpg

They have regularly tweaked and changed it to fit their companies needs and to appeal to the tastes and technology of the time, yet all of them are instantly recognisable as Pepsi's brand. That's a strong brand identity.

One of the best tools sports clubs in particular have to evolve their brand is making changes to their uniforms. Removing that tool from the tool box because of a stupid misunderstanding of what a brand identity is and how it works would be a massive mistake that will have long term impacts on the club as a product.

BTW, it's highly debatable that St. George has a strong brand identity.

You'd have to do a study, but I'd be willing to bet that their brand recognition is very high in the 60-70+ demographic, but drops with each generation until it's effectively bottomed out in under 30s. I'd also be willing to bet that it's not in the top five most recognisable NRL brands anymore. St. George's brand taking precedent over the Steelers also had a lot more to do with that merger being more of a hostile takeover than anything else.

Souths and St. George creating a new popular jersey design other than the hoops or vee would be an absolute boon for them, and their merchandise sales, if they went about it the right way as well.
Mate, i can only reply to what you post and you said “substantial change” on which my argument was based on. Clearly we have different views on what ‘substantial’ means. A logo evolution in my view is not a substantial change and in the case of a footy club, their identity is just as much anchored to their jersey which allows them to modernise logos from time to time. Easts, Souths and Saints - case in point.

I’m glad you brought up Pepsi, who btw are often held up in marketing classes as what not to do. Their logo evolution is proof that they have struggled with identity for over a 100 years. They’ve always been number two to Coca-Cola and their logo changes are proof of desperation while Coke have largely stuck to their ribbon script logo for more than a century. Sure there were changes at the beginning while they were still new in the market. But once a solid foundation of success was built they stuck solid. They tried a modern ‘Coke’ logo in the 80s but even then, the original logo sat on the other side of the can or appeared next to it on signage. Why? Because it’s a foundation to attach to. Heritage is a valuable commodity.

An example of a ‘substantial change’ here is ‘Clear Coke’ which was an unmitigated disaster. It was still the same product and still the same flavour. Only the look was different. It was rejected purely on aesthetics.

Now if we put the lessons of Coke in a footy context, it’s okay to experiment with change while new and still looking for regular success. Saints began with the ‘blood and bandages’ before settling on the V before their great run of premierships began. I’d argue we never would’ve seen the V if they enjoyed that run in the hoops kit. Most Souths fans only remember one premiership but they love their kit because of the records associated with it. Keeps them invested.

As for Souths/Saints changing their kit, they already do enough one-offs for marketing purposes but the traditional kit is the Coca-Cola ribbon that will continue to sell long after we’re gone. Ask their fans if they want to see a jersey change.

Lesson for Tigers is no point settling on an identity while still associated with spoons.

Latest posts