What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jessie v Val.

shadowboxer

First Grade
Change takes time - you think back to “The last days if Chez Nous” ala Flanno. A lot of dead wood and the pity signing the likes of Dugan, SJ etc - massive coin for average return.
It turned pretty quick with the current coach and whilst not stellar yet, astute management has been the key.

Frenzy.

Immortal
I was thinking about this the other night. If Val was here at FB taking up 1 million maybe more I wonder what our squad looks like.

Happy with how it landed.

It looks like a shit sandwich. He's simply a downhill skier.

Weaponhead

Coach
I was thinking about this the other night. If Val was here at FB taking up 1 million maybe more I wonder what our squad looks like.

Happy with how it landed.
To build a squad like the Sharks (Penrith set the Gold standard) relies on having a crop of juniors to bring through the system that are good NRL quality. That takes time and investment into pathways over years.

Dogs are trying to buy a squad. Tigers are as well but they lack the fundamental strength in the system at this point.

Cronulla has done a great job building a system, nurturing talent then picking the right players to add. Finucane was targeted to bring leadership and work ethic. Hynes has exceeded all expectations. Kaufusi was a good Tolman replacement. No signing flashy or name players like the Flange did. Right player player for the job, adds to the culture being built.

It's set up well to be a strong team for the 4 to 5 years.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Val is an elite winger. Not a runningback not really a centre (although I get why plays there for the cowboys)

Ramien is rocks and diamonds, I have little faith in him. Could cost a GF could win it, you just never know.

Frenzy.

Immortal
To build a squad like the Sharks (Penrith set the Gold standard) relies on having a crop of juniors to bring through the system that are good NRL quality. That takes time and investment into pathways over years.

Dogs are trying to buy a squad. Tigers are as well but they lack the fundamental strength in the system at this point.

Cronulla has done a great job building a system, nurturing talent then picking the right players to add. Finucane was targeted to bring leadership and work ethic. Hynes has exceeded all expectations. Kaufusi was a good Tolman replacement. No signing flashy or name players like the Flange did. Right player player for the job, adds to the culture being built.

It's set up well to be a strong team for the 4 to 5 years.

Well they had to as the squad that's been running around for years was shocking.

They are following the same pattern as Penrith as well as far as I'm concerned

They have

Won the Matthew Cup
Semis in SG Ball
2nd in Jersey Flegg
2nd in knock on effect NSW cup

Special K

Coach
My friend this rings in my head often.

I think back to 2016. I had a seat in the Peter Burns Stand (ok great he helped us get a team apparently but I have NFI who he is) and I saw James Fisher Harris. He was 20 and running off the back fence. I came on here saying we should sign him. He was so impressive as a kid. Yeo was in the second row that day with like 30 or so games under his belt. In 2018 we knocked them out of the finals and their team had Cleary, Kikau, Fisher-Harris, Yeo, Leota. There is no way in 2018 could tell me that in 2022 Leota and Fisher-Harris would be the two best props in the game. But they were. 2019 they blooded a ton and 2020 onwards have been the standard. 2023 they are feeling the cap but could still f**ken win it for a third year in a row if not they will retool for 2024 through jnrs.

Our squad minus Nicho, Dale and Cam have been together for the bulk since 2020. They are all basically signed until 2025. WK, Katoa, Raimen, Talakai, Ronnie, Toby, Brailey, BHU, Nikora, Wilton, Wade, Williams, Trindall and I can keep going on either made their name after a game or two (Sifa/BHU) or debuted for us. Throw in Culture from 2016 in Wade. It is a unique mix. Wade bows out this year in comes Col/Hazelton. Moyza end of next year in comes Tricky or Puru works in. Bit players like Iku are replaced by jnrs in Stonestreet etc.

Pretty crazy. You also have to think a guy like Nicho as great as he is has landed in the best possible spot from the options he originally had in front of him when he joined us. Compare his career vs joining the Warriors, Broncos(ok maybe as good), Dragons or Raiders etc he named that were interested.